Fireboat John J. Harvey/QM2 Photos

dougnewmanatsea

Dear Cunarders,

As some of you may recall from my posts at the time, this past July 2 the Steamship Historical Society of America Long Island Chapter sponsored an excursion on the historic fireboat JOHN J. HARVEY to see QM2 off on her July 4 cruise.

HARVEY is an extremely historic vessel, built in 1931 as the largest and most powerful fireboat on earth. She welcomed NORMANDIE and the original QUEENS to New York in the '30s and - now preserved, not actually comissioned as a fireboat (despite her heroic work on 9/11) - did the same almost a quarter century later for QM2.

At any rate, after a long delay, I've finally finished post-processing and uploading my photos of this event, including lots of QM2. You can view them here.

The weather was extraordinary and these are probably the best shots of QM2 I've gotten yet (and it's not as though I haven't spent the past year snapping her at every opportunity ;) !). It was truly a great experience, and my thanks go to Tom Cassidy at SSHSA-LI for organizing this wonderful event.

You also might want to take a look at this article about the event, with more photos, written by a friend of mine, John McFarlane of the World Ship Society Port of New York Branch, who was also in attendance. (There you can see a photo of me photographing QM2, among other things ;) .)

Finally, for more info on JOHN J. HARVEY, see her official site here.

Also, for those who have asked, I'm now going to begin working on my QM2 visit photos (Mostly interiors - though frankly there are already better photos out there... Particularly as there is always a "mad rush" to photograph as much as possible when one is only visiting a ship, which affects quality, and also simply because she has been photographed so much already!). Hopefully these will not take as long as the HARVEY photos did.

I'm also going to write up my full impressions of QM2, which should be finished some time in the next week or two before we leave for ROTTERDAM in Europe in a little over two weeks.

Enjoy!

Hi Doug:

Thanks for the pictures, I really enjoyed them. I thought that #33 was very artistic! I liked the framing, since the images filled up the picture. I also thought that #84 and #85 were very attractive. I'm looking forward to seeing the whole ship when we're at port in the Caribbean. When you embark or disembark in NYC you can't see the whole ship. I look forward to your other photos.

Thanks

Archived