Shopping & Restaurants around SE 17th in Fort Lauderdale

Hi everyone!!

I was just wondering if someone could tell me what restaurants and stores are around the hotels on SE 17th, particularly around the Holiday Inn Express. I was also wondering if anyone knows if they still offer a free shuttle to the Port. I was on their website today and it wasn't listed but I've read posts here that they do...I'm trying to decide between the Holiday Inn Express and the Sleep Inn in Dania for booking my pre cruise accomodations. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks bunches! :)

I'm not sure if Holiday Inn Express is still running their shuttle or not, as many of the hotels are eliminating them. But don't get hung up on shuttles if you're staying in the SE 17th Street area. The hotels there are less than 10 minutes from the airport and just outside the entrance to Port Everglades. Taxis are inexpensive, quite plentiful, and far easier and more convenient than dealing with shuttles. Taxi fare from FLL to Holiday Inn Express would be perhaps $10, and less than that to Port Everglades.

First of all Sleep Inn in Dania Beach is across from a strip mall with a Publix (grocery store), and it seems to me there's a restaurant - Dennys I think??? But that's about it, it's a rather isolated area. It would be fine if you had a rental car, but I wouldn't want to be there without one if it were me.

Holiday Inn Express and the other SE 17th Street hotels are in a much more convenient area for those without a rental car as everything you could possibly want is within a 3-4 block area. There are Publix and Winn-Dixie grocery stores, CVS and Walgreens Drug, Crown Wine & Spirits, plus several other stores with everything from ice cream to clothing, and various other types of stores in 3 very large strip malls. There are many different restaurants serving pretty much every type of food you could want. There are a LOT, far too many to list, or okay, far too many than I can remember off the top of my head! There's an Outback, Del-Rio Tex Mex, Chucks Steakhouse, Bimini Bay Boatyard, Bravo Italian, Waxy O'Conners, Carlos & Pepes, Quarterdeck... Ugh, it's late and my mind is blank, but there are more. There's something for everyone.

SE 17th Street hotels also have access to the Water Taxi (http://www.watertaxi.com/FortLauderdale/FLLHome.Asp) where you can go to 15th Street Fisheries, many places on the beach and other parts of Fort Lauderdale as well as the many fine shops and restaurants on Las Olas Blvd... http://www.lasolasboulevard.com/

We are booked at the HIEX 12/26/05. They do have free airport shuttle, but do not have shuttle to the port.

I posted this web site before. Don't know where I found it but there is a clock convention in FLL and this was attached to it.

Someone said some of the places to eat have changed a little but I do think it will help you get a better idea of what is availible close to the HIEX.

http://www.nawcc2005national.com/local_businesses.html

Yes, there have been many changes to that map since it was made. The biggest is that there is now a new large strip mall behind the Embassy Suites and South Harbor Plaza. Publix has moved into the new mall along with several other new stores and some restuarants.

Trent, you are a better man than me, because you have answered this same inquiry maybe a hundred times. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a way to archive these answers. And you are lucky if you see a thank you.

TRENT S ....I agree with you ...lots to do on 17th. We stayed a few years ago and used the water taxi and had dinner at 15th street fisheries...my kids loved the day!! The water taxi was only 4 or 5 bucks and you can use it all day.

I sure do hope you get a thank-you for all your awesome and detailed info!!!!!

Hey Trent S. I appreciate your answers a lot and all the good information you have provided. Because of you I think we will book with Holiday Inn Express for our Feb13th cruise. The rate is 128.00 now. I wonder if it will go down or up and when should I book.Thanks for all the help you provided.

Thanks TrentS for all your help! Sorry if this was one of many questions that have been asked a million times as pointed out by another regular poster. I am new to the board and I don't have access to the internet that frequently so having the time to go through all the posts would be next to impossible. Because of the generosity of posters like yourself, you save people like me lots of time (and money) by helping me out. Kudos to ya! Just wanted to let you know I am very appreciative of your suggestions and help! Thanks!

We are arriving around 7:30pm into FLL the night before we cruise. We would like to purchase some "refreshments" ;) to bring onto the ship. It'll be a Saturday night. How late do you think the supermarkets stay open? Also, does Florida have "blue laws" about selling alcohol on Sunday mornings? Thanks for the info about the Holiday Inn Express. We are staying there, and this thread re-inforces my decision. :)

The beautiful new Publix (http://www.publix.com/) behind the Embassy Suites is open until 11pm, 10 pm on Sundays - They sell beer & wine.

Crown Wine & Spirits (http://www.crownwineandspirits.com/) is across the street from the Embassy Suites, behind the Chevron Station - They sell everything.

I can't answer the question about liquor laws as I've never really paid any attention... I'm rarely out of bed before noon on Sundays unless I'm going on a cruise! :eek:

Guest derry,nh

Hi, we stayed here in March before a Panama Canal cruise and used their shuttle from the airport and to the port. It was a great hotel, continental breakfast and high speed internet access was free if you had laptop with you and plenty of restaurants around. Also short walk to connect to water taxi near the Marriott and then you could get all over Fort Lauderdale for $5 ticket. have a good cruise.:)

When we stayed at the Embassy Suites in May, only a few of the stores were open in the new Harbor Shop strip mall. There will be a couple of restaurants opening soon there - one is some kind of a steak house. The new Publix is wonderful.

Eckard is no longer in the old Southport Mall - it is now a CVS - junkie!

Kell's across the street from Embassy Suites is great for food. We always go to the Bimini Boatyard which is just about across from the Holiday Inn Express.

The beautiful new Publix (http://www.publix.com/) behind the Embassy Suites is open until 11pm, 10 pm on Sundays - They sell beer & wine.

Crown Wine & Spirits (http://www.crownwineandspirits.com/) is across the street from the Embassy Suites, behind the Chevron Station - They sell everything.

I can't answer the question about liquor laws as I've never really paid any attention... I'm rarely out of bed before noon on Sundays unless I'm going on a cruise! :eek:

I was just going ask this very question! i should have known you already answered it :) Thanks

Some good info here. Thanks! We're staying at the Marina Marriott. Can any one tell me if there are any breakfast places in close walking distance? If not how about the buffet at the Marriott. Is it worth the $13?

Thanks;

Scott

• 2 weeks later...
Some good info here. Thanks! We're staying at the Marina Marriott. Can any one tell me if there are any breakfast places in close walking distance? If not how about the buffet at the Marriott. Is it worth the $13?

Thanks;

Scott

Scott, When we stayed at the Marriot Marina we ate breakfast at the hotel restaurant that is right on the intracoastal. We sat outside and it was very nice. It was Sunday and there was a buffet, but I'm not sure what happens on the other days of the week. We'll find out in March when we stay there again.

Archived