Guided tour of Bruges?

gato4

I'm trying to decide if we should book a guided walking tour of Bruges. While I know there are DIY walks, I'm thinking a local would give a lot more information. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh I loved Brugge. It is a very easy city to see on your own and do your own walking tour. I like the idea of stopping when I wanted and doing our own thing. You won't get lost. The canal boat is a must do. Enjoy your time in Brugge, a wonderful little city to take very scenic photos.

Marion

I would simply take one of the Canal Boats. That would give you a good over view of the place -- there is an English commentary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's a good idea and a fun thing to do but the commentary is by the boat's driver (rather than a recording) and thus could be a bit hit and miss, in terms of his delivery/accent and how easy it is is to hear over the drone of the engine. Ours wasn't that good, not that it makes a great deal of difference as Bruges is easy to research anyway and small enough to cover on on foot in a short time.

Canal Tour

Walking tour

All the best, Tony

I'm trying to decide if we should book a guided walking tour of Bruges. While I know there are DIY walks, I'm thinking a local would give a lot more information. Any suggestions?

I did a DIY walking tour and it was great FOR ME. I can't recall if I used a Rick Steves book or something else. HOWEVER, I also think Bruges would be a great town for a walking tour with a skilled, knowledgeable, certified type tour guide to give more details and additional background that likely didn't make it into a book. There is just so much rich history to hear in this great town. I don't have a guide to recommend, however. I don't think you'll go wrong whether you choose a guide or DIY. And I don't think you would be wasting your money on a guided tour as long as you got a good guide for an acceptable price.

Edited by MeHeartCruising