Super Star Virgo

little poppett

Hi Lisa - noticed you're down to seven days!! Before you get too busy just want to wish you safe, uneventful trip, wonderful time on board and a great time in Bali and look forward to your 'report' when you return!

I say 'uneventful' because my son and his partner just back this week after a month in UK had one suitcase missing for twelve hours on their stopover in Dubai, then a missed connection because five passengers didn't board the flight to J'berg (sat in the plane for over an hour for the five cases to be offloaded) then had to wait six hours for another flight to Cape Town where they just made it to her grandmother's 90th birthday celebration!

So best wishes ...

Vera

Hi all

thanks for your kind words - Simon, Vera - so little time, so much packing........bought new suitcases today and am filling them up nicely. :rolleyes:

We are all getting sooooooooooo excited - I have 2 more days at work and then we are off to Singapore on Thursday 16th.

I will check back if I can and just want to say a BIG THANKS to everyone on the board here as it has been great getting that vital information, tips etc. :)

Happy holidays everyone sailing soon............

bye for now

Lisa

Lisa.........haven't checked in here for a while, just in time to wish you Bon Voyage, hope you and the family have a wonderful trip.

I see on a previous post that you were wondering how long the bus trip was to get to get to the sea canoeing in Phuket.....it was approximately one hour, maybe a little less.

Have fun,........blue skies, sunshine and smooth sailing and look forward to hearing all about it when you return.

Dear all,

Good day to everyone who keep this thread active and useful. I have been reading some of the later posts on this thread and have proven to be very useful for a soon-to-be first timer cruiser like me.

My family, consists of myself, my wife and two kids aged 8 and 6 have booked for a Super Star Virgo 3-night trip to Phuket and Langkawi on 2-5 September 2007. This will be our first cruise experience and if my memory did not fail me after reading the so many useful posts on this thread, we will be on the same cruise trip as ssv, jambo123 and silverdream, CMIIW. :)

We are booked on a BB balcony cabin on the 10th deck. May I know whether the size of cabin would be big enough for the 4 of us to sleep comfortably inside?

Understand that the child care service is not free and they charge per hourly basis, anyone knows how much is the charges per hour per child?

Any suggestions on the shore excursions in Langkawi and Phuket? I am thinking of the cable car transfer in Langkawi (VLAN-007 tour) for us, anyone has any experience on that and how much does it cost per adult and child? Understand that the cable car and Underwater entrance fees are not included, does it mean we need to have Malaysian ringgit (and Thai baht for Thailand) ready for such excursions?

Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi Blanca,

The more the merrier!

2A and 2C in a Balcony cabin might be a little squeeze, but Im sure youll manage comfortably with some planning. BB cabins on deck 10 is perfect, no public areas above you.

Not sure about the childcare charges or tour charges, will check if I'm going aboard recently.

I'll most probably be doing the Cable Car tour as well and yes, the cable car and underwater world entrance fees are NOT included in the tour package so you'll need local currency(have more to satisfy the lady in her shopping adventure:D , duty free and markets all around!). You might want to attend the Port talks held on embarkation day at the Lido or also watch the shorex video on your in-cabin TV.

I'm not sure about the rates on shore at the destinations, how it compares to Singapore/Australia but try not to change onboard the ship.

Hope to see you aboard, cheers!

Hi everyone,:D

Bon Voyage Lisa - may see you on board.

Heading off on Sat morn so may be able to have a last minute check in on the board.

Cannot wait - particularly for the warmer weather !

A very big THANKS to everyone involved with the board and particularly this thread - it really makes it all worthwhile.:):):)

Kind regards

Simon:cool:

hi all

My wife and i are booked on a 5 night cruise 21/10 hoping it will be great fun.

Are there any other aussies booked on this cruies or for that matter anyone from any where that would be looking for some new best friends !!

As i said we are on a 5 nights does this mean that we are realy on a 3 and 2 night cruies together...

I did read on here befor deck 11 was noisy but i think we are under the library so i guess this is ok !!

hope to hear form you soon....

Thanks

ssv,

Thanks for the insights, really appreciate it. Will need to prepare some Malaysian ringgit and Thai baht in hand then.

Do you have any suggestions on which shore excursion we need to take in Phuket, which is suitable for kids aged 8 and 6?

Understand that there's satellite phone network on board, are we able to use our GSM phone on board? Will there be any coverage for our GSM phone using the satellite network (roaming), or do we need to use the in-house phone?

Thanks in advance.

When you in the Straits of Malacca you will normally be well within range of base stations on Indonesia, Thailand or Malaysia . Just remember to arrange Overseas roaming for your mobile before you leave your home country, and remember to take your phone charger and pack of adapter plugs . IIRC both 120v and 240 v outlets on both SS VIRGO and SS GEMINI. Most tarvel agents sell a range of travel accessories by KORJO and they have a very clever pack of electrical adapters that gets one out of trouble anywhere in the world.

Ship signal 'Navitas1, Nor17' is available approx. one hour or less after ship departs from port. Land signal is usually available near port area but signal will be weak. In-house satellite is compatible with GSM phones, signal is available at public areas only though and hallways near them. There is a folder in your cabin which will contain a slip of paper explaining the ship network and its approx cost.

Everybody have got different interest but I did hear many cruisers enjoyed the shorex with elephant riding. In-house tv has a channel with shorex video playing 24/7, maybe you can give it a watch.

Update as of 14 Aug

Superstar Virgo's season in Singapore will be extended till mid-Jan 2009 when she is due for a drydock(11Jan-25Jan). Current Itinerary will continue however there will be slight changes

e.g. 4d3n Singapore-Penang-Phuket-Singapore cruise will be Singapore-Phuket-Penang-Singapore instead for a certain period of time then will be reverted back

and the popular 4d3n Singapore-Phuket-Langkawi-Singapore cruise will be featured more in the new schedule in summer season.

3d2n Singapore-PKlang-Singapore and Singapore-Redang-Singapore will stay as with the weekend Singapore-Singapore cruise.

4d3n and 2x 3d2n Singapore-Phuket-Penang-Singapore-Pklang-Singapore-Singapore will be the main itinerary for the year.

6d5n Singapore-HCMC-Redang-Singapore, Singapore-Bangkok-KohSamui-Singapore will return as special cruise.

This information is valid as of today, and may be invalid without prior notice.

Thanks Kuldalai and ssv for the useful information.

Do you know if my Singapore mobile operator, M1, has roaming agreement with Navitas? I can't find the info on both M1 and Navitas Telecom website. Wondering whether I can use my M1 SIM card to use the Navitas network, or do I need to buy the prepaid card they provide?

Thanks.

Does anyone know what shows / entertainment will be on board during the first week of September? Aas only on a 3 night cruise and the gala dinner taking up one night we will not have the opportunity to see everything, therefore any recommendation are gratefully received.

Also if anyone recommends that a show or shore excursion (Phuket / Langkawi) is NOT worth seeing I would be thankful.

Regards

Blanca, you need to activate your mobile number's roaming with your operator. I dont think theres a system in Asia like the U.S. which limits you to certain operator. If it exist, I am sure ALL Singapore operator allow roaming on Navitas as long as its on GSM network, not CDMA/WCDMA.

Just to conclude, make sure your mobile phone number plan's international roaming is activated.

Jambo123 - The Musicians of Bremen, Lido Extravaganza, Street Life and Passion will be available. All show offer 2 seating per day EXCEPT Passion which is offered on Embarkation night and last night. All show is worth watching especially Street Life, I'm not sure if magician Mike Michaels will be onboard but if he is, the show will be fantastic. His act is the copyrighted robotic and jack-in-the-box act.

Hi All

Jambo123,

The "Fantasea Show" in Phuket is well worth seeing, you will not see a show like this anywhere else.

The only other show in Phuket is the Simons Cabaret show with the katoeys or a lesser similar show at the Andaman Queen which used to be in Soi Crockodile?? off Bangla Rd.

Apart from these there is nothing else one can say is a show in Phuket.

Cheers

Les

thanks boeckle

i just have one other question the beds are just 2 single beds are they..

and also do they have somethink like this here where u can ask questions about air lines we are going sinapore airlines

You are booked on two (2) back to back cruises on SS VIRGO . Departing Singapore Sun 21/10 on Island Escapade goes to Penang and Phuket returning brief stop Singapore Wed 1900 - 2359 then on Taste of Malaysia visiting Malacca, Port Klang (Kuala Lumpur), returning to Singapore on Friday arvo .

Full detail here : http://www.starcruises.com/Itineraries/Singapore/index.html

Singapore Airrines are fine . Just relax and roll with the punches !!!!

thanks boeckle

i just have one other question the beds are just 2 single beds are they..

and also do they have somethink like this here where u can ask questions about air lines we are going sinapore airlines

Hi walabe - it's normally 2 single beds pushed together to make a double bed.

Where are you traveling from and what do you want to know about the airlines (maybe we can answer your questions) :)

At check in ask for EXIT seats, if those all gone ask for aisle seat. These days the load management systems book the planes chockers, and usually most airlines pre-allocate seats before the poor unsuspecting punters arrive at the airport . So the seat allocation thing is usually a bit of a charade in that it has largely be done before you leave home.

Archived