Super Star Virgo

little poppett

Hi Star enthusiasts - hope everyone is well.:)

tmbhl_on_the_go - thanks for your review and experiences on SSV from HK.

I really enjoyed reading about your cruise and the impressions / pitfalls etc.

Zwa and vozzie - welcome to the board and I hope you both become SSV converts as most people who have cruised on her have.

We have now decided to skip going ashore at Xianen which will save us an extra visa cost and gains us an extra $165 AU per cabin ( Admiral Class )

There seems to be so much to do onboard SSV so we have decided to gain a bit of extra time to spend our extra credit. ;)( and to enjoy an extra 2 restaurants this time as we have never been able to dine at all of them even after 3 cruses )

Thanks again and happy cruising.:D

Regards

Simon

We have now decided to skip going ashore at Xianen which will save us an extra visa cost and gains us an extra $165 AU per cabin ( Admiral Class )

Simon, how do you gain the extra by not going ashore in Xiamen?

Got off the boat pretty quickly, dropped our bags at the hotel (the wonderful Salisbury YMCA, can’t get a better location) and hopped to the Star Ferry to head for the Peak.

What did you like about the hotel apart from the location? We have booked a harbour view suite there for our pre Virgo-cruise stay in October.

Thanks for your extensive review - brings back memories and let's me look forward to October :)

Hi all

Just a quick question....which side is best to book a cabin on?

We have sailed in balcony cabins on either side - don't think there is a "better" side - may depend a bit on the itinerary but if you are doing a Straits of Malacca cruise, you are going up and coming back again ...

If you like to watch either sunrises or sunsets from your balcony, have a look at the timings on your itinerary

Whichever side you choose, hope you enjoy the Virgo as much as we have done in the past and plan to again in October :) Make sure to come back here and tell us about your experiences.

Hi everyone. Sailing tomorrow and I really hope the weather improves. It has been raining for days now. Last night and this morning with thunder and lightning. Was really interesting doing a city tour yesterday, we all got soaked.

We are staying in The Kowloon Hotel and it is a good location on Nathan Road but our room is very tiny. We've stayed in Hong Kong before but our rooms have always been bigger. Very hard to fit all our bags with us and the baby cot. :( Only one more night though and we get our lovely junior suite, can't wait.

Will post again from the ship. Hopefully it won't be too rough as I get sea sick.

Can't wait!!

Judy

I haven't been on this site for a while but am starting to get excited about my next trip on Virgo through Staits of Malacca in december. I did it last Dec...my first ever cruise...and loved it so much I want to do it again. There weren't enough days for me to experience everything on the ship so I am sure there will be new experiences this time round. Does anyone know if the shows have changed since last years? They were great last time so I won't mind if they are the same. I just loved the acrobats! Happy cruising everyone!

Liz

Hi everyone. Sailing tomorrow and I really hope the weather improves. It has been raining for days now. Last night and this morning with thunder and lightning. Was really interesting doing a city tour yesterday, we all got soaked.

We are staying in The Kowloon Hotel and it is a good location on Nathan Road but our room is very tiny. We've stayed in Hong Kong before but our rooms have always been bigger. Very hard to fit all our bags with us and the baby cot. :( Only one more night though and we get our lovely junior suite, can't wait.

Will post again from the ship. Hopefully it won't be too rough as I get sea sick.

Can't wait!!

Judy

Hope you have a great time on Virgo !!

We fly into Hong Kong via Cathay Pacific 8am on Sunday Morning and our travel agent has organised transfers to the Virgo from the airport. By my calculations we would probably arrive at Ocean Terminal around 10am. Does anyone know if we can at least check our baggage in at this early time. I am aware boarding doesnt commence till around 2pm, what to do with our baggage in the interim is the problem.

We fly into Hong Kong via Cathay Pacific 8am on Sunday Morning and our travel agent has organised transfers to the Virgo from the airport. By my calculations we would probably arrive at Ocean Terminal around 10am. Does anyone know if we can at least check our baggage in at this early time. I am aware boarding doesnt commence till around 2pm, what to do with our baggage in the interim is the problem.

Not really sure what time it opens, but we checked in at around 12PM at the baggage room so my wifey was able to do some quick shopping around the terminal. Check this out for your reference

Emb_routing_of_pax_via_Bagagge_Room_to_CPWH.gif

newreply.php?do=newreply&p=14952214

The Gateway blvd entrance to the baggage room was closed so our TA dropped us at Marco Polo Hotel so we had to drag our baggage for quite a distance to reach the terminal.

Hi all again

Just when you think you have it all organised........:o

Star has decided to "charter" our last 2 days of the cruise to a full ship charter - culprit unknown!:mad:

Star must have chartered the boat for an overnight at the end of what is normally a 5N/6D cruise which effectively takes the last night of the Xianen leg and includes the last 2 days

BTW - this is also happening on the cruise departing prior to ours which is a 5N/6D Sanya / Halong Bay / Xianen.

How they can do this is amazing as there must be many clients in the same boat ( pardon the pun ):(

We were highly distressed when notified by our TA Qantas Holidays and have now undertaken the task of gaining a resolution.

After pushing hard for the best result we feel the outcome is acceptable - but only after numerous calls and cries for help.

I must admit that the initial offer of a solution by Star was not what you would call sufficient - in anyones language! :confused:( I wont go into details but it meant not going, going on a shortened itinerary , or getting a credit we could use over the next 12 months )

The resolution gained is still departing on the same date but only traveling to Halong Bay and Sanya with an extra night onboard thrown in - effectively gaining a 4 night cruise with nearly 5 days aboard.

The extra night is thrown in by arriving back at HK at 6pm after the 3 night 4 day Halong Bay cruise then going out to sea overnight arriving back at HK at 8am.

Our credit onbard has been negotiated to be $1950HK per cabin ( instead of $2000 previoualy ) - but it took some pushing.

The cost has reduced by $ 667 AU also per person from the previous price of $2200AU approx )- Star originally offered a very minimal amount in price reduction which was frankly - an insult!

We also maintain our same Junior Suites on deck 10.

Of course we are now having to pay for another nights accommodation in HK prior our original flight bookings which we need to maintain.

I feel it is important to notify the board members of what we have negotiated as it may assist with any further complications encountered or imposed by Star and their decision to change itineraries after already making them available to cruisers.;)

All in all we are satisfied with the result and hope the cruise on Virgo is as enjoyable as ever - unfortunately it just wont be as long and doesn't allow us to take full advantage of the great ship she is!

boeckli - we were being given an extra $165AU per cabin if we decided not to go ashore at Xianen due to the Visa "issues" which arose. Star was offering this as they were only able to gain us entry to 1 port in China on their single Visa arrangement. ( we had chosen Xianen as the port we weren't going ashore at - not that it matters now ! )

NewbieCruiser_01 - I hope the cruise is all you expected - enjoy.

Happy cruising to all:)

Simon

Thanks Redisol

looks like we may have a long wait - (and) or along walk. Think the girls want to do some pre cruise shopping also so we may have to take turns watching the bags, Cheers

Virgo will be doing another season away from Singapore next year, for a three month period.

Watch out for news re: Superstar Libra!

So, where will Star sail the Libra post Keelung?

Another Australia circumnavigation in place of the Gemini?:confused:

I assume that means the Virgo will be heading back to Hong Kong next summer, likewise the Aquarius back to Singapore?

just booked for 1st cruise on virgo really looking forward to it as only cruised in the med before.one point of caution to people looking to use the website to book is that you can't reserve your cruise for £200 as it states in the t & c's.you must pay in full this was confirmed from star,if you are booking yourself and not using a travel agent

just booked for 1st cruise on virgo really looking forward to it as only cruised in the med before.one point of caution to people looking to use the website to book is that you can't reserve your cruise for £200 as it states in the t & c's.you must pay in full this was confirmed from star,if you are booking yourself and not using a travel agent

I was very surprised when I booked Virgo through TA. I had to pay $1000 non refundable depsoit, almost half the cost of the entire cruise.

I'm used to the $200 P&O deposit.

We are off the ship now. It was great. We didn't see any shows because we found out (after we boarded) that they won't baby sit children under 1. Going to have some words to our TA about that.

The staff were wonderful and loved taking our baby away at meals to play with him and show him off to other tables. Our son was the star of the show, at the Captains cocktail party there was just as big a line up for photos with him as the Captain had! Everyone was facinated by a chubby white baby. :)

Our junior suite was lovely and would recommend staying in a suite if only for the service. We were given the same table for every meal and had priority everything.

we only went on one shore excursion, in Halong Bay, it was ok but the weather was terrible and everything was running late.

Better go give the child his bath.

Last word, would recommend the Bella Vista, great food, great staff. And table 53 was wonderful. :)

Judy

We sailed on SS Virgo a couple of years ago and it was fantastic - the balcony was fabulous (in fact I nodded off there on one occasion). Note the cabins use foreign (from Aust) power plugs - but I'm sorry I can't remember which one.:confused: There was not a 2 prong razor point in the cabin either which meant my husband had to use a spare hand razor for the 4 days. We loved the cruise but getting off the boat (disembarking) at the end was a real pain as we were held in one of the restaurants where there were not enough seats and had to wait for over 1 1/2 hours in the heat with no drinks etc (You have already settled the account by then). A real pain - maybe they have improved. The other thing we learnt the hard way was that as long as you have kept a bit of an idea of what you have spent on board, go for the express check out (where you just OK your credit card). Otherwise you have to line up and wait while lots ( and I mean lots- the queue stretched for ages) of other passengers pay in cash - and want to pay in different currencies etc - it took ages.

Apart from these glitches the rest was brilliant - the Italian restaurant had good food and the most amazing art works on the walls.

I guess queues on the Virgo are inevitable when you consider they often carry 2000+ passengers and there are only so many disembarkation points...and that is where the 'class' system on the boat comes in handy and creates a means for them to direct passengers to different exit points. My tips to avoid queues (if you don't like them) is to go early. I settled my account on the last day at 8am when the counter opened and there was no queue. Sure you can't make purchases after that, but if you disembark on Friday in Singapore (sorry not sure about HK) by the time you go back to your cabin after breakfast and pack your bags there isn't a lot of time til lunch and then you are off. I went to the restaurant for disembarkation about half an hour before the 2pm scheduled port arrival. It was easy to get a seat. I then joined the queue at the door when the ship docked and was off in 10 minutes. I'm not sure if you were travelling with kids, but that would make the process a little slower. But anyway one or two queues don't spoil the cruise. It's still fantastic!

Archived