Super Star Virgo

little poppett

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Great thread! We are sailing on Virgo 5 days on February 8th and then fly to Sarawak for 7 days as we just love Borneo!:).

Previously sailed on Gemini and loved everything about Star. Just come back from Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Seas around the Pacific Islands. Would not do again.:(

This is our 4th trip to Malaysia area and we know most ports pretty well ((Have done shore excursions and our own thing) so if you have any questions we have been to most including KL, Sanya, HK, Ho Chi Min, Da Nang, Pkhuet, Manilla, Brunei, Sabah, Sarawak, Langawi, Krabi, Singapore.

Regards

Jancy

Hi All,

Great thread! We are sailing on Virgo 5 days on February 8th and then fly to Sarawak for 7 days as we just love Borneo!:).

Previously sailed on Gemini and loved everything about Star. Just come back from Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Seas around the Pacific Islands. Would not do again.:(

This is our 4th trip to Malaysia area and we know most ports pretty well ((Have done shore excursions and our own thing) so if you have any questions we have been to most including KL, Sanya, HK, Ho Chi Min, Da Nang, Pkhuet, Manilla, Brunei, Sabah, Sarawak, Langawi, Krabi, Singapore.

Regards

Jancy

Hi Jancy - glad you found this thread. I'm sure Virgo will not disappoint you.

Would be interested to hear what you disliked about Rhapsody.

Star has announced that during its January 2009 Dry Docking , Superstar VIRGO will be fitted with half million dollar stainless steel waterslide on the pool deck .

While I am all for change and new ideas, will this mean that there will be more children on the pool deck now instead of remaining in the kids pool area?

John

Hi Jancy welcome and good to know where to ask about Borneo and Sabah the only two places I haven't been to on your list. Love Asia and Star Cruises. Have also sailed on other lines but booked on ROS to Hawaii and am curious to know what you didn't like about it.

Vera (ex-Canberran)

Hi Vera

Don't want to turn this into a why I hate ROS forum but in a nutshell:

• The staff were very superficial and very "in your face re tipping" many could not speak enough English except to say hello and when you asked a question they had no idea
  • Shore excursions really expensive
  • The art auctions drive you mad- amazing the auctioneer has not been thrown overboard!
  • The enforced seating in the dining room is so restrictive
  • No choice for dining except dining room and buffet
  • No welcome aboard on the ship

I have heard so much about Virgo so we cant wait to experience STAR again and LOVE Singapore!:)

Jancy

Hi All

Would just like to add my bit about Rhapsody versus Star.

This was our first cruise with Royal Carribean and have had two previous cruises on Virgo and going again in March.

We arrived home from the 10 day South Pacific trip on Rhapsody on 23/12/08. We did not have the previous problem of tipping. Perhaps in the last month they have realised that Australians are not as familiar with tipping as the Americans. I agree re the Art Auction, this absolutely drove us crazy also, but we seemed to be in the minority as I mentioned this at lunch one day and we seemed to be the only people at the table that had this feeling, in fact everyone else seemed to frown on us for making this comment.

I also agree with the Dining arrangements. We were lucky enough to get a table for two at main seating, but hated having to eat at either 6.00pm or 8.30pm. We can't wait to get back to Bella Vista and eat at a table for two and at a time that suits us. We were lucky enough to get up-graded to a Junior Suite so we solved a lot of problems and ordered room service to eliminate eating the Windjammer Cafe (Rhapsodys equivalent to the Mediterrean Cafe)

The shore excursions were very expensive versus Star Cruises shore excursions which we feel are more than reasonable ,so we just done our own thing in each port.

Finally, we love both ship for different reasons and felt that they were both completely different surprisingly. We can't wait the get back on Virgo but equally will be keeping an eye on the prices of the Rhapsody cruises

It sounds like we are all reasonably happy with the likes of Star:), NCL:) and I believe Princess now with their freedom of dining, tipping, dress and service. It sounds more the Australian way to holiday. Now all we need is more ships, more local destinations in Australia, Pacific and Asia where it is cheeper to fly to for Australians and we will be all happy. Personally I would love someone to do a 6 to 8 night run from Singapore to Hong Kong more often.

Cheers John

I agree with Baby Cruiser, 6-8 day cruises either from Singapore or Hong Kong would be great! Our next cruise on Virgo in March 09 will probably be our last for a while as this will be the third time in three years to the same destinations! Rhapsody of the Seas have given us the thirst for longer cruises and I feel the cruising market out of Australia will get more competitive if you are able to travel at the last minute.

Hi all - thanks for your comments and comparisons - yes, it's hard to go past the genuinely friendly crew on Star ships and also the freestyle dining which we have enjoyed there and on NCL but not available to Princess in Australia. But I'm still looking forward to our ROS cruise to Tahiti and Hawaii.

Vera

Costa Cruises have Costa Allegra and Costa Classica both offering in Asia a number of 7 and 14 day itineraries ex both Singapore and Hong Kong .

With the right sized boat perhaps even SS LIBRA a good circuit offering all sorts of short and long sector combinations would be : Singapore - Hong Kong (7 days), then Hong Kong - Shanghai - Japan (7 days), Japan - Taiwan - Hong Kong (7 days), Hong Kong - Phillipines - Singapore (7 days). Pax could package any of the four sectors they like to custom tailor an Asian cruise from 7 to 28 days .

Agree we are all worn out doing the Starits of Malacca thing and need more innovation in new itineraries. Like Singapore - Bali - Darwin - Cairns and return via different set of ports .

Hi All,

I am cruising on Virgo for my first time at the end of January. My cruise starts on teh Sunday teh 25t Jan. I am abit concerned as i have heard the ship is in drydock in January and now i cant find any cruise details for this time.

Can someone put my mind at ease as to the ships cruise plans for January 2009.

Ryan

Hi All,

I am cruising on Virgo for my first time at the end of January. My cruise starts on teh Sunday teh 25t Jan. I am abit concerned as i have heard the ship is in drydock in January and now i cant find any cruise details for this time.

Can someone put my mind at ease as to the ships cruise plans for January 2009.

Ryan

Hi Ryan - welcome to Cruise Critic and the Virgo thread in particular.

Are you sure that you have a cruise booked for departure on January 25 ? Did you book through a travel agent or did you book online on Starcruises website? Do you have any documentation that states the 25th as the departure date?

I just tried a dummy booking on their website and the earliest date that comes up is 28th (Wednesday) for a 2 nite cruise.

If you booked thru a travel agent, have you spoken to them?

You could also try and phone the Starcruise office in Singapore, their hotline number is +(65) 6223 0002

Good Luck ! :) - Let us know what happens

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah we have our tickets and everything already and it all states the 25th for the cruise. Was all booked through travel agent.

I did the same thing with the dummy quote and it comes up with either 4th Jan or 28th Jan that is why i am now concerned.

If anybody else knows anything i would loev to hear.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah we have our tickets and everything already and it all states the 25th for the cruise. Was all booked through travel agent.

I did the same thing with the dummy quote and it comes up with either 4th Jan or 28th Jan that is why i am now concerned.

If anybody else knows anything i would loev to hear.

Did you speak to your travel agent? (after all they get paid for taking your booking, so they should look after you!)

Hi Ryan - welcome to CC. I hope you contacted your TA today and that it has all been sorted out. I know this might sound laughable but I know of someone who was booked on the wrong ship - date was right, name of ship was wrong.

Let us know that it has all worked out well, you'll love Virgo. Have a look at boeckli's fantastic photos.

Vera

That will be the plan.

There will be big trouble if they have stuffed us around as well as we have people flying in from London for the cruise also.

Cruise has been booked for months now.

If it was me, I would pick up the phone and call Starcruise in Singapore (make sure you have your Starcruise booking number!!)

Have you done the online registration on the Starcruise website? Can you access your booking on that??

SSV's drydock starts Jan 9 and ends Jan 23.

Virgo has had minor itinerary changes but it does not affect Jan 25th (Sunday)'s sailing to Penang and Phuket.

The reason why you don't see it being offered on Starres is (most likely) due to nil cabins available for the sailing. It coincides with Lunar New Year (Jan 26th IIRC) so you'll see some special programs planned.

I think you can breathe easy . Singapore Cruise Centre website departures/arrivals indicates for SS VIRGO :

Arr 09/01 1530 from Straits of Malacca

then presumably in dry dock for 2 weeks

Next departing :

23/01 at 2100 for an overnight High Seas Gambling Cruise.

24/01 at 2100 for an overnight High Seas Gambling Cruise.

25/01 at 1500 for Penang and Straits of Malacca.

Check with Star to be sure . e-mail contact link on their website under "contact us" at www.starcruises.com

Thanks for the replies I do feel more at ease now.

I do have some quick question as a first time cruiser.

Is there ok storage space for suitcases. i will be with my wife and 2 year old so we will have 2 medium/large suitcases. Do you store these in the cupboard.

Also are you better booking shorex before cruising or do you just do it when aboard. i have heard stories of people wanting to bbok onboard and finding out that they are fully booked.

I would like to do a planned shorex in Phuket. If you do 1 of teh tours is there enough time for shopping as well at the end of teh tour?

Sorry for all the questions.

Ryan

Thanks for the replies I do feel more at ease now.

I do have some quick question as a first time cruiser.

Is there ok storage space for suitcases. i will be with my wife and 2 year old so we will have 2 medium/large suitcases. Do you store these in the cupboard.

Also are you better booking shorex before cruising or do you just do it when aboard. i have heard stories of people wanting to bbok onboard and finding out that they are fully booked.

I would like to do a planned shorex in Phuket. If you do 1 of teh tours is there enough time for shopping as well at the end of teh tour?

Sorry for all the questions.

Ryan

We have always stored the suitcases under the bed (you may have to lift up the bed a little to get them underneath) otherwise you may put one in the cupboard but that will greatly reduce your hanging space in there.

Shore excursions for Virgo can normally only be booked on board - suggest you go to the excursion desk (next to reception) as soon as you get on board.

With your tour in Phuket, I suppose it depends on the length of the tour you have booked and the relevant arrangements, also depends if the ship anchors off Patong Beach or docks near Phuket town. Some tours also include time for shopping somewhere.

Hope you will enjoy your cruise - make sure to tell us about it when you come back :)

Thanks so much for the reply,

I will certainly report back when i return. i would also love to hear from anyone who has been recently as to how it was and the conditions and weather.

Cant wait and this thread has given me so much info and built up my excitement so much so thankyou to everyone who posts info and has replied to my questions.

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

We have always docked near Phuket town which is a long way from the shopping area of Patong beach (about 45 mins).

Some of the tours do include shopping time although it is very time limited.

We spent a day at Patong beach and it is full of cheap imitations depends on what you are looking for? We find the best shopping at K.L.

Agree with previous post , we travel with our adult daughter usually with 4 to 5 bags and manage to squeeze them under our beds!

Enjoy your cruise! We leave Singapore on the 8 February Virgo cruise.

Jancy

Archived