Embarkation day ??? on Getaway...

ChiMimi69

My party is arriving in Miami the day before sailing to relieve the same day jitters of the airlines losing our luggage or canceling our flight for whatever reason. So, we were hoping to arrive at the pier by 10:00a-10:30a to check-in, board, enjoy the pool & have lunch later. So, here are my questions...

1. Will NCL allow people to board that early?

2. What are group boarding numbers??? Is this ONLY for those interested in buying spa or vibe passes?

3. If the answer to Q2 above is 'Yes'. Since we won't be needing those so, will we be allowed on board or does EVERYONE get a boarding number to board that early in the morning?

Thanks!!!

You can arrive at the port that early but boarding will not begin until around 1130 or so~ the earlier you arrive the lower the boarding number you get~ EVERYONE gets a boarding number~

Close --- But no cigar !! lol

The boarding will start when the port authorities have been assured that all incoming guests have disembarked and they clear the ship.

When you arrive at the port early you will be checked in and directed to the waiting area where you will be issued a boarding number UNLESS you have priority boarding. The exceptions to the boarding number are VIP's - Handicap - In Transit - and some others. Those guests will be directed to a different area than the rest of the people.

Close --- But no cigar !! lol

The boarding will start when the port authorities have been assured that all incoming guests have disembarked and they clear the ship.

When you arrive at the port early you will be checked in and directed to the waiting area where you will be issued a boarding number UNLESS you have priority boarding. The exceptions to the boarding number are VIP's - Handicap - In Transit - and some others. Those guests will be directed to a different area than the rest of the people.

The OP wasn't clear in what type of cabin etc they had so I was answering in a vague manner~ :rolleyes:

from our cruise last year on the Sky- When we left Miami- we arrived at the port at 10:30, they had just opened the doors to let people in to go through security and start the check in process. We started boarding around 11:30ish...

however when we returned, apparently immigration decided to make our ship their pick for checking EVERY SINGLE PERSON, so there was a very long delay for us disembarking the ship, which in turn made the group after us wait a little longer to embark. While waiting to just make it to the gangway to leave the ship, we were talking to some of the workers on board. they said that this rarely happens, and there is absolutely no way to figure out when it will happen, but I think we finally made it through immigration around 1:30pm.(keep in mind, we were in no hurry to leave the ship, so we were close to the last passengers off the ship)

There were quite a few people who were extremely upset because they had "early" flights and were going to miss them, and while standing upstairs waiting to just make it down to the immigration area, we saw quite a few sad faces of those waiting to board the boat because they had to wait longer. Just keep that in mind, It probably won't happen, but it's definately a possibility.

I would say getting there around 10:30 will get you a low boarding group, they were calling groups in multiples (so groups 1-4, then when the line got shorter, 5-8 etc...) I think we were group 13 or 14 and it only took about 15 min after they began boarding for our number to be called.

We arrived around 11:30 and walked on pretty quickly. We were constantly moving until we checked in to get our cards, pics taken, security,etc. There was never a point of standing in line. I couldn't believe how quickly we got on the ship! We walked on at noon. Two adults and a 7 yr old. This was our first cruise on NCL. Last year on Carnival, we arrived at !0:30 and we had to wait in a waiting area and stand in longer lines.

We arrived around 11:30 and walked on pretty quickly. We were constantly moving until we checked in to get our cards, pics taken, security,etc. There was never a point of standing in line. I couldn't believe how quickly we got on the ship! We walked on at noon. Two adults and a 7 yr old. This was our first cruise on NCL. Last year on Carnival, we arrived at !0:30 and we had to wait in a waiting area and stand in longer lines.

Based on your experience, it sounds like it pays to arrive after the initial "rush". :) I'll be traveling with my BFF and 4 very excited kids. The last thing I want to do is start my vacation with long lines. So, maybe getting to the port at 11:00 may be better.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Here is how the Process works. There are many factors to just when boarding the ship will take place.

First the doors for check in will open at 10:30 am to start the process of going through security. This ships boards from two terminals. Passengers who have even floor cabins will board from Terminal C, Passengers with odd floor cabins will board from Terminal B.

Each Person 18 years of age or old is required to fill out a Health questioners. (This is not part of your online Edocs).

Suite Holders will be directed to VIP check in and will be the first to board the ship.

General and Latitudes members will proceed to check in area. Once they have completed the check in process they will be directed upstairs to the boarding area where they will be handed a boarding number.

This number is given to party’s (if you are a party of 4 you will be given one pass, if you are a party of one you will be given one pass)

This process continues until the ship is ready to board. (There are about 20 boarding passes per number.)

The ship will not be ready to board until there is an all clear given that the debarkation process has been completed. (This is generally around 11:30 am)

The order of boarding is as follows.

Suite Holders (Haven)

People with Special Needs and in transit

General Boarding

Starting with group #1 and continuing until all groups have been called. (This process generally takes about a half hour)

By noon most passengers will be checking in and going right onboard the ship.

My party is arriving in Miami the day before sailing to relieve the same day jitters of the airlines losing our luggage or canceling our flight for whatever reason. So, we were hoping to arrive at the pier by 10:00a-10:30a to check-in, board, enjoy the pool & have lunch later. So, here are my questions...

1. Will NCL allow people to board that early?

2. What are group boarding numbers??? Is this ONLY for those interested in buying spa or vibe passes?

3. If the answer to Q2 above is 'Yes'. Since we won't be needing those so, will we be allowed on board or does EVERYONE get a boarding number to board that early in the morning?

Thanks!!!

We are always there by 10am, or maybe a little after. We've always been boarding group 1, so I really don't know how high the actual numbers go. Everyone gets a boarding group, unless, of course, you arrive later. Then you just walk on after check in. You will start boarding anywhere from 11:15am - noon, depending on how quickly the prior cruise passengers were cleared to disembark. The average is around 11:30.

NCL will allow you to board as soon as the ship is cleared.

If you arrive prior to the boarding process starting you will be given a board pass group number.

Every party get a boarding group number until all numbers are called and no is left waiting in the boarding area.

We always carry on swimsuits and a pool towel so after lunch we change and head to the pool. Oh and sunscreen lots of sunblock

Most people are eating or walking around its a great time to swim with fewer people.

Your NCL pool towels are in your room and you might not be able to get to your room until after 1. so bring your own.