Booking tour at port

sajohnston

we did back in April of 2012. Had a great time.. paid $15 each for a tour that the cruise line was charging $50!

He took us all over the island, showed us all the hot spots and history places. Took us to Hell, and the Tortuga Rum Factory, and then stopped at the dolphin and turtle place - giving us the option to go in each of them (no one did).

We had good luck - hope you do too!

I agree with poster above...there are places I wouldn't walk off and hop on a tour but this isn't one of them. To just see a few sights and get an overview of the island, this is by far the cheapest way. However, they will try to fill up the vehicle (most are vans) so you may have to wait around. If you can find one with a vehicle that is ready to leave, take that one!!

• 1 month later...

We did this in Cayman back in 2010. I can't remember what we paid but it was much cheaper than the cruise line sponsored tours. It became a very private tour sponsored by a nice gentleman and his wife, he took myself, my husband, and one other couple on his personal boat out to the stingrays. We got to spend a lot of one on one time with the rays. Then he took us out to a nice snorkeling spot, and back to port with plenty of time to spare. He and his wife made us drinks (rum punch) and offered us snacks on the boat. We had a great time on this spontaneous trip. I never felt unsafe- we found them right off the dock where a lot of people were trying to pick up people for tours.. These days I prefer to book ahead of time but never really worry about booking with outside vendors.