Breakaway Accessible Room Question

andyandsue

Please don't anyone bash me for asking this, because it's an honest question.

Booking our room on the Breakaway. Choosing a Large room with picure window and multiple accessible rooms came up as a cabin choice for our party (2 adults/2 teens). I happened to notice they are huge in comparison on the deck plan and in photos I saw on another site.

Should we book the accessible room? I almost feel guilty using that room since we don't need it, but admit, like everyone, feel the extra space would be nice and I know on our past cruises I saw non-handicapped passengers in an accessible room. Wouldn't the sinks be lower than normal and other touches that we may find an inconvenience given our non-wheelchair status?

What is normal cruise etiquette in this situation? Opinions please. Thanks!

Normal etiquette is not to book one if you really don't need it. They are very important to people actually needing them because of the room to store scooter, wheelchair, etc and even though you got multiple available cabins in your results, there is really limited amount of HC cabins in general.

Especially if you have other room choices, I'd say that you shouldn't even be thinking about it - if you want to have more room inside the cabin, book a room from higher category with more space. Also since there are no doorsteps or other obsticles in the bathroom, with four people using the shower even only in the morning the cabin will probably be quite wet most of the time.

While not exactly the same (because this one is explicitily illegal), one can't park their car to a HC parking spot either just because it happens to be free.

Just as an aside, if you saw non handicapped people in these rooms previously, it doesn't necessarily mean they booked there. These rooms are often used as upgrades if they are not all booked. I've been upgraded to them in hotels in the past.

Putting aside for a second whether it's the right thing to do morally, there is a practical reason why I would never book one of these cabins. You are reasonably likely to be moved out if someone with a genuine need comes along, and you don't know where you would end up. I'd imagine that you wouldn't be looked upon too favourably when deciding where to move you so an upgrade is probably not that likely.

This is speculation, but even if the category was full so an upgrade is required, I'd say there is a fair chance that the upgrade would go to someone else with a less desirable cabin in the category or to a guarantee and you would end up getting their room.

If you are selecting a cabin, rather than using a guarantee, I'd make sure that it is a cabin you will be happy with. By booking an accessible cabin you may well lose that control.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by KeithJenner

Thank you all, that answered all my questions...

I actually have a handicapped parking permit. I don't use it unless necessary, you would never know at first glance that I need it but long story short I have major back problem resulting from a hip problem at birth. A hip replacement at 37 corrected a limp.

I get a lot of dirty looks from people who have no idea what I might look like coming out of that theme park, etc. after a day of walking. LOL So please remember not everyone has to look obviously handicapped to be "handicapped" (dislike that term).

But in this case I do not have a scooter or wheelchair so I was wondering. On our NCL cruise I saw an accessible cabin not occupied by anyone with a wheelchair or scooter and was curious. I saw on the Royal Caribbean site it said you must prove your disability.

Edited by andyandsue

But in this case I do not have a scooter or wheelchair so I was wondering. On our NCL cruise I saw an accessible cabin not occupied by anyone with a wheelchair or scooter and was curious. I saw on the Royal Caribbean site it said you must prove your disability.

You don't necessisarily have to be in a wheelchair or scooter to be disabled. The HC cabins are also outfitted for the deaf, blind and other disabilities.

Please don't book an HC cabin unless you really feel you need it, not because you want the extra space.