Nassau beach...

kris2cruise

I posted this in the Nassau & in scuba&snorkeling sections with no luck so thought I'd try here.

Can anyone suggest a spot to snorkel in Nassau? Somewhere not over crowded and not hard to get to...

This is where I've gone twice and heading back a third time for my first time scuba diving!:D http://www.stuartcove.com/DiveBahamasMgmt.aspx?id=3&pageId=17

We found a public beach walking distance from the ship called Junkanoo Beach. It was fantastic, and I can't wait to go back in October. It was practically empty. There were vendors serving local food in kiosks and carts. There was a tiki bar serving drinks. The snorkeling was good. There were a few locals that would come up to us and try to sell us handmade bracelets and what not...but they were peaceful and went away when asked to.

Sent from my iPod touch using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We found a public beach walking distance from the ship called Junkanoo Beach. It was fantastic, and I can't wait to go back in October. It was practically empty. There were vendors serving local food in kiosks and carts. There was a tiki bar serving drinks. The snorkeling was good.

Do you remember how to get there or if we ask someone will they just direct us? This sounds like what we're looking for :-) good snorkeling, not crowded & a tiki bar! Yes please!

We found a public beach walking distance from the ship called Junkanoo Beach. It was fantastic, and I can't wait to go back in October. It was practically empty. There were vendors serving local food in kiosks and carts. There was a tiki bar serving drinks. The snorkeling was good.

Do you remember how to get there or if we ask someone will they just direct us? This sounds like what we're looking for :-) good snorkeling, not crowded & a tiki bar! Yes please!

I haven't been there yet but actually just picked this beach out for our upcoming cruise. If you go on to tripadvisor.com and look up Junkanoo beach there are lots of directions on there - but basically it sounds hard to miss... when you get off on the doc just make a right and keep going (keeping the water to your right!) and you'll run right into it. Actually, in the pictures on trip advisor you can see photos of people in the water with the cruise ships on the background to the right. It's supposed to be less than a 10 minute walk :)

There were mixed reviews on there about snorkeling (some said not interesting fish) but there seems to be a consensus that it's a good beach for swimming/sunning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The shore snorkeling in Nassau is poor at best...Very sandy bottoms...

The reefs near shore are all dead from years of tourist damage.

You'll be better off taking an excursion out to have good snorkeling.

Edited by bguppies

The link for the snorkeling tour looks excellent. We will be in Nasau in April.

I think we will do Junkanoo beach this time and perhaps next time I will try that snorkel trip. We are just doing a short Bahamas cruise to celebrate our anniversary mostly relaxing for 4 days.

Most reports of Junkanoo beach are good..and the pics look great. Plus there is a market close by and there are also some great historic landmarks close by that can be walked to if it is not a great day weather wise for the beach.

So many people choose to stay on the ship in Nassau saying there is nothing to do ..it always amazes me to see that.

I definitely prefer Nassau Port O Call to Great Stirrup Cay. You can walk around, see some things you don't normally see. For example, there is a McDonalds there that serves a Big Mac using chicken patties instead of beef. Lol, I am a food nut, so little things like that make me happy.

If you are adventurous, try going to the straw market..that was an experience I will never forget.

Sent from my iPod touch using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app