NativeWay, Rays,Reef,Rum Point???

BMW325

Would like to hear from anyone who has taken the Rays, Reef, and Rum Point excursion with NativeWay. Will be doing this on September 6.

We are in port from 7AM - 4PM Eastern Time. Was a bit concerned about getting the tender back in time to make the ship (my swimming skills aren't what they used to be :D ) . Native Way assures there will be plenty of time. All I need to do afterwards is run into the Hard Rock Cafe (which I understand is right near the dock) and grab my hurricane glass.

Thanks!!

I will definately post something when I return on how everything went. From all the fantastic tips and helpful information I have got from these threads, I feel obligated to keep the information flowing.

How did you know how many ships will be in port on a certain day? I'm sure it is a web link but never saw it posted anywhere.

We were on the excursion on July 14, and we all thought it was the most fun we had all week! We were two families with four teenage boys, and everyone, from our 16-year-old son to the other mom who made faces and squealed alot, loved the day. We kissed and fed the stingrays, made tons of pictures (take a waterproof camera), saw a nurse shark (our 19 year old touched it while our guides were feeding it), and saw two friendly eels. Shelton, Ashton, and Fabian do a wonderful job. They catch the stingrays, coax the shark and eels out from the reef, order and serve your lunch at rum point, and are just generally great guys. They let us sit on the front of the boat with our teenagers, and they took the younger kids up on top and let them "drive" on the way back in. These guys give personal service with a smile!:)

Mom Central,

I am trying to persuade my husband to do this excursion in Oct. He is not into the stingray portion. Did anyone stay on the boat during this stop? Also, how did you pay for the trip? Did you pay a deposit or all on site? Since we are cruising towards the end of hurricanse season I was wondering how payment works if the port is canceled .

My friend, the other mom, was convinced that she would not get off the boat, but she did, and she loved it. She touched the rays, but didn't want to feed or hold them, and there is certainly never any pressure to do anything you don't want to do. The rays are swimming around you, and one might brush up against you, but I always had time to step out of the way! It really is not a threatening experience at all, but if your husband is not comfortable in the water, then he will be fine on the boat. I'll bet he ends up in the water!

I made our reservation by phone, and Sharon took my credit card number to guarantee our reservation. They don't charge it unless you are a no show that doesn't cancel. If your ship is not in port or is not able to tender its passengers, you are not charged. While you are on the boat, the guys come around and you can pay with cash or credit card. They are really laid back about it, and you don't pay until later in the day. That's a good policy for them. We had such a great day we gave them a good tip!

We were there between Dennis and Emily and missed our stop in Jamaica. At one point we thought our itinerary might be reversed, so I called and asked what we should do, and Sharon told me not to worry, they check with the port authority and know which ships will be in which day. We had a great experience with everyone associated with Nativeway.

We were on the excursion on July 14, and we all thought it was the most fun we had all week! We were two families with four teenage boys, and everyone, from our 16-year-old son to the other mom who made faces and squealed alot, loved the day. We kissed and fed the stingrays, made tons of pictures (take a waterproof camera), saw a nurse shark (our 19 year old touched it while our guides were feeding it), and saw two friendly eels. Shelton, Ashton, and Fabian do a wonderful job. They catch the stingrays, coax the shark and eels out from the reef, order and serve your lunch at rum point, and are just generally great guys. They let us sit on the front of the boat with our teenagers, and they took the younger kids up on top and let them "drive" on the way back in. These guys give personal service with a smile!:)

That sounds so wonderful! We are doing this excursion in October with our 4 kids ranging in age from 9-17. As much as I love the summer. I'm ready for October to get here real quick. :)

I'm feeling like you busymom. The only drawback of my upcoming cruise in September is that summer will be over and the snow will be coming. The folks at Nativeway sound wonderful and I think this is going to be the highlite of my vacation. Keeping my fingers crossed that the weather holds up for us.

We were just on this excursion last week and loved it. The guides were fantastic. We were also concerned about making the last tender (3:30) but they assured us it would not be a problem. There were 2 extra ships in port due to Hurricane Emily so the tendering was a bit crazy. The tour started a little bit late since we waited for some missing people but we got the full time allotted and returned to the pier around 3:20. The lines for the tenders were so long that we didn't actually get on a tender until after 4:00.

This is another trick I learned here... go to www.cruisecal.com

click on "ports" then click on "Georgetown, Grand Cayman" and find the date you'll be there. Pretty neat!

WOW another great little tool. If cruisecal.com is correct, our ship is the only in port on the day we are scheduled to be in Grand Cayman. Eases my mind a bit about the tendering. Been there - done that and know that it can be a long process.

Thanks for the tip!!! :)

Archived