Removing Gratuities ?

JLawes

Interesting topic. I completely agree with leaving on the auto-tipping and love the idea of the cruise lines changing the definition from tipping to "service charge." I think fewer people would have the charges removed.

I believe strongly in tipping and always tip well, because the people I tip are doing a job that enhances my life/vacation in some way. To me, that is worth the price. When the steward makes sure I have ice in my bucket every day on the off chance that I will FINALLY take a sip of my bottled soda, that makes my day. When the waiter automatically brings white rice to my cousin who casually mentioned that he loves to have that with every meal, that makes his day. When the Carnival bus boy insisted on carrying a tray laden with drinks from the back of the boat to our tables on the Lido deck without being asked to, that made all of us smile. He refused the tip we all offered, by the way.

My point is, even when the task is "part of his job, that's what he gets paid to do" if those tasks have made my vacation better in some way, darn right I pass on a little something extra.

Vicki

Hank, as usual, you are 1000% correct. I would be MORE than willing to have the tips included in the cruise fare and just be done with it! Do we tip Flight attendants?

Unfortunately in the US, tipping is part and parcel to the service industry.....it is almost expected that people will make up for the lack of a decent wage. SMH

I agree with you and Hank and wish it was that way. The only misgiving I have is that people would start tipping and the whole thing will start again for our kids to discuss 20 years from now. I believe HAL tried it a few years back.

This topic gets discussed quite a bit (including the gratuities in the fare and paying the crew more salary from that), but I think there's issues about compensation and taxes that make this idea more complicated. I'm not an accountant so I don't know if I'm using the correct terms. The premium lines were fine with including this extra cost in their fare, which would be much higher.

As for what someone said in this thread (I think) about taxes and fees not included when you price out cruises, I can get the full amount including those when I price out a cruise on the Princess website. And if I went through a TA, I would know to ask if they were included. Unfortunately not everyone knows to ask.