Silversea GTY - When is a cabin assigned

argyllsock

Hi All,

We booked a Verandah 1 category on the Silver Spirit departing 03/13/14 and was given a guarantee for a cabin assignment. We've cruised many times on 'mainstream' cruise line (SS is our first try on a luxury ship) and have always known the location of our cabin at booking time.

Will Silversea advise of your cabin assignment in advance or do we simply find out at embarkation? I was unable to find any indication of cabin assignment or type on the 'My Silversea' website.

Although it doesn't look like there is a 'bad' cabin on the entire ship, it would be nice to know in advance!

Thanks!

John

Have your travel agent call Silversea. They will give the info to your agent. The GTY cabins are typically assigned 2-3 weeks in advance.

I suppose if you call Silversea directly they will give it to you as well, but the TA is acting as your agent for the booking and should do this for you.

How does SS prioritize GTY cabins. We were one of teh first to book in Verandah Cat 1 (Guaranteed Cabin) for the Wind in April, so I wonder if we will get the best or what exactly the criteria may be.

Thanks in advance

Hi argyllsock and welcome to the Silversea forum here on Cruise Critic!

I'm not sure why you weren't given an exact cabin assignment. In our experience (albeit only 4 SS cruises) we've always been given our cabin assignment at the time of our deposit. In fact, for our upcoming voyage in the summer of 2015, we know our cabin as well.

Did you happen to book with a Travel Agent? If so, what was the explanation they provided as to why SS didn't issue you a cabin assignment.

Good luck and do return to let us know what you found out. I hope you have a great cruise and enjoy your first on board experience with SS.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a GTY cabin (or suite):confused: ?

When we paid our deposit our TA sent us the SS receipt and is showed our suite # and again after final payment the SS receipt had the (same) suite # on it.

Bob

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a GTY cabin (or suite):confused: ?

When we paid our deposit our TA sent us the SS receipt and is showed our suite # and again after final payment the SS receipt had the (same) suite # on it.

Bob

Most of the time you book by category and cabin number on Silversea...and you get your cabin assignment and it shows up on your booking. A GTY is a guarantee cabin. That is, they may not have specific cabin numbers available in a given category--as they have all been reserved--but they know they will get cancellations so they slightly oversell the category. SS does not always offer guarantee cabins like the other cruise lines, and the guarantee cabins are the same price as any other room in that category...so there's no price break at all--it's full price. The hitch is you just dont know where you'll end up. You are "guaranteed" the category you reserved or higher. And if they dont get cancellations in the category you reserved, they'll bump you to another category. And, like I said, they are not always available.

Make sense?

Does that make sense?

It is a guaranteed cabin. All it means is that you don't get to pick the cabin and these cabins are usually in lesser desirable areas of the ship, usually lower, and usually to the front. You have no choice as to port or starboard. If you are not in the GTY group, you may choose your own cabin, preferably picking an optimal location for that particular group. You basically get a cheaper room by allowing SS to select your room.

It is a guaranteed cabin. All it means is that you don't get to pick the cabin and these cabins are usually in lesser desirable areas of the ship, usually lower, and usually to the front. You have no choice as to port or starboard. If you are not in the GTY group, you may choose your own cabin, preferably picking an optimal location for that particular group. You basically get a cheaper room by allowing SS to select your room.

Have you ever purchased a guarantee cabin on SS and is that your experience? Or your perception?

You pick your guarantee by cabin category, i.e., veranda 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. (IF it is offered in that category and as mentioned they are not always available) but you dont pick your actual cabin. Theoretically, by picking by category, you have a general idea of where your cabin will be. I dont know how they are assigned, but i suspect your status with Silversea has something to do with it.

GTY on SS is different than the mass market big ships where you typically will end up with a cabin in a less desirable location.

Edited by Herman The Cat

Yes I have, but have not sailed it yet. We received our cabin assignment today and it is two cabins away from what they call a mid-ship verandah. So a very nice position. It is starboard and I would have chose Port side, but hey, it was about $400 pp less expensive so no complaints.

Hi All,

I appreciate all of the responses and especially everyone's willingness to help out.

We did get our assignment from our TA. While I was on the phone with Silversea being told that they couldn't access the booking system (seemed very strange to me that they couldn't tell me) an email arrived from our TA with the cabin details.

We'd booked a Verandah category 1. It's our first time with Silversea and we wanted to try them out. Silversea ended up putting us in a category 3 cabin midship so we are very happy.

Can't wait to try out our first luxury cruise!

John

We'd booked a Verandah category 1. It's our first time with Silversea and we wanted to try them out. Silversea ended up putting us in a category 3 cabin midship so we are very happy.

Can't wait to try out our first luxury cruise!

Outstanding and good for you! Have a wonderful voyage.