Ft. Lauderdale: Do you need a car?

Artemis908

We are thinking about coming in two days early for our cruise so that we can check out Ft. Lauderdale. From what I've read, it's not much for public transportation. Would you guys recommend renting a car? What is there to do outside of going to the beach?

We are leaving out of Port Everglades and I see there is an Avis within a mile of the hotel we are considering (Lago Mar Resort). I was thinking we could spend a day at the beach (I read that Lago Mar has its own private beach?) but then I thought to myself... how many days do I really want to spend on a beach? We are going to be doing that plenty on the cruise lol.

Any thoughts or recommendations? I'd be interested in stuff like shopping, sight seeing, and zoos/aquariums/anything with animals.

If you stay at Lago Mar, it is pretty much a self contined resort set off the road. Yes nice and with beach. But to see other parts of the city, you would need a car or cab or walk distances.

We don't need a car for just two days. Cabs, sun trolley, city bus, water taxi and legs. That's all we need to shop, eat, beach, marina visit etc. Now if you want to leave Ft L and head north or further south, a car rental for a day would be okay. I wouldn't rent for two days in your case if you are going to be seeing the city.

I recommend checking out Los Olas Blvd. it was just a nice place to stroll and shop and find whatever you want to eat. The place is lit up with lights on the palms and seemed very safe.

I recommend Sushi Rock. A small sorta cramped and loud joint with some great sushi. Very reasonably priced too.

I wouldn't rent a car for two days if you want to see Ft Lauderdale. Take a cab. Or walk to the water taxi and float on that. It's a day pass so you can get on and off all you want.

Enjoy your stay!

Happy sailing.

We just rented a car from Dollar (Full Size) for $14.50 per day. Pick up at airport and drop by cruise terminal (with free shuttle).

Personally, I like the freedom of having a car in case I want to go to the store or restaurant. We have decided to go to watch a hockey game on Friday night in Sunrise. (but you know us Canadians and our hockey:D)