Family cruise aboard the Adventure of the seas!

ILUVCRUIZN

I love to read everyone's reviews so I figured I would try my hand at one, it will take me a while but I will get it done. Reviews help us get a feel for the ships, ideas for excursions and ideas for great local places to eat. I do not want to offend anyone so I will apologize now if there is something in my review that you do not like. There are some things that we liked better on Carnival but there are many things we liked better on Royal. It was actually nice since our last 4 cruises have been on Carnival to do some comparisons. :D

We usually begin planning our cruise a year out. We have sailed on Royal Caribbean, Princess and Carnival. This was our 10th cruise and the 3rd for our son. It was myself, my husband and our son. When we start to decide on the next cruise I usually pick by destination then by ship where as my husband chooses ship then destination but we always end up on a great cruise and cannot wait to start it all over again when we get home. I love all of the prep up until the cruise as much as I love the cruise.

But back to our cruise. We sailed on Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan the 1st week of February and LOVED it, so much so we have booked the opposite itinerary next year but we are sailing on Carnival Valor. We sailed to St Thomas, St Kitts, Aruba and Curacaco. We had wonderful weather a few rain showers here and there but they went away as fast as they appeared. It was nice to get to someplace warm as we have been having one of the worst winters that we have had in awhile.

We like many others always fly in the day before our cruise because you never know what the weather has in mind. We drove 2 hours to Chicago Friday afternoon after picking our son up from school and checked into the Westin O'hare. We always do a park and fly as it is normally a little cheaper and again with our lovely weather I prefer to get to Chicago the evening before our flight. The hotel was nice they were doing some renovations but nothing to interfere with our stay. Up next some pictures, I need to make dinner...

I love when we are driving to Chicago and seeing the skyline. We were very lucky that the roads were in great shape! Unfortunately later that night it was going to start snowing again stressing me to no end wondering if we were going to be able to fly out in the morning... I love Chicago!

ry%3D400

The Westin was great. We had 2 beds which I think were a full which is just too small so I ended up sleeping in the bed with my son while hubby had his bed all to himself. My little one loves to talk in his sleep and just moves non stop so it was a really restless nights sleep for me. Oh well we are leaving on a cruise in the morning! Well maybe depending on the lovely weather..

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

The room was very spacious, it had a huge wall mirror by the door and the bathroom was nice sized with plenty of room to get ready!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Hubby loved the shower and the coffee selection!! After we got to our room and dropped off the ton of bags that we had we headed out to Girodano's for some pizza.

Edited by ILUVCRUIZN

So off we go to Giordano's for some yummy pizza. We decided to just leave our car in the parking lot and walk. Well it sounded like a great idea in the warm hotel, that changed after about 5 minutes of walking in the cold winter air. It was only about a 10 minute walk but when it is 15 degrees outside that 10 minutes seems like a 1/2 hour, LOL!!! Oh well, we love the pizza and have already started our little journey so just suck it up, we will be in warm Caribbean air tomorrow. The pizza was great as usual, we do not order the deep dish. It takes way to long to bake and I am just not a fan. So we eat and talk non stop about our wonderful vacation that we have been planning for the last year!

ry%3D400

After our belly's were full we headed back out into the artic air walking much faster this time almost running as we see the door to the hotel. Soon as we get into the hotel little man wants to go swimming. Oh why not, so we go change, walk down to the pool and what do you know we have the whole area to ourselves. It was wonderful!!!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Since we were the only ones in the pool area we let little man play in the hot tub for a while with dad. Normally if there are others in the pool area the hot tub is usually enjoyed by adults so he is not allowed. He said the regular pool was very cold, I did not go in so not sure, he could have just been telling me this so he could stay in the hot tub, LOL!!! He had a good time and was pretty worn out by the time we got back to our room. So it was shower time then jammies and he was a happy camper.

The hotel did have a really nice work out are which hubby was debating going to later that evening but he never made it after laying on the comfy bed.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Later that evening we decided that it was dessert time so we ordered some room service and enjoyed after all we are on vacation!!

ry%3D400

Dustin loved his ice cream and finished my brownie sundae while watching Wreck it Ralph...

The Westin was perfect for us and was a very relaxing start to a wonderful vacation. There was plenty of onsite parking for the park and fly option.

ry%3D400

The parking area had a little snow but it had much more when we got back. We crashed about 10:30 and then got up about 5AM the next morning to get ready and head to the airport. It did start snowing about midnight and when we got up at 5 there was about 2 inches on the ground not to bad but enough to make a mess of things. We went to the lobby to wait for the shuttle and he arrived on time then we headed to the airport. At this point I am really stressing about the weather wondering if we are going to get out on time. We were only delayed about an hour while they de-iced the plane then we were off. We were already getting to San Juan later then I wanted to and we had a room booked at La Concha so I did not want to loose anymore time there enjoying the wonderful city and that awesome resort. Well my anxiety just melted away as the planes wheels left the runway!!! Yay we are going to make it!!!

ry%3D400

This was taken at our gate. I just love winter!!! Not really I actually hate winter I am constantly asking myself why do we live here. LOL!!!

ry%3D400

Almost ready to pull away from the gate!!!

Our flight was a little bumpy but nothing out of the ordinary. We flew United and I really liked that each seat had a TV in the seat in front of you. It was a 4.5 hour flight to San Juan so it helped pass the time. After we get to our gate we headed down to baggage claim to retrieve our luggage. All bags made it so we head out to the taxi stand right outside baggage claim. We walk outside and yay it is so warm, I love it. So much better then what we left in Chicago!!!

The taxi line only had maybe 15 people in it so we only waited maybe 10 minutes then we were in our taxi and heading to La Concha. I think it was$15.00 to resort $2.00 fuel sur charge and $1.00 a bag so our total was $21.00 plus tip. It was only about a 10-15 minute cab ride. No problems at all.

I did get our room off of a bidding website and I got the room for about 1/2 of what you would reserve it for on a regular travel site so I was happy!!! They do charge a resort fee which I think is 16% of your room rate. I do not have my hotel receipt in front of me so I cannot state for sure what percentage it is. We got to La Concha around 4:30 and our room was not ready yet so they held our luggage, gave us a pager and we went off to explore the resort pools. It was only about a 1/2 hour and our room was ready. I was not expecting anything special since I did not book the room through them but when we walked into our room this is what we saw

ry%3D400

I was so excited as I did not expect an ocean view, I actually expected to be looking at the roof of the building next door or some dumpsters. We were very happy!!!

The room was nice 2 queen beds, lots of storage, a small fridge and a nice sized bathroom. They had Aveda toiletries so that was nice...

ry%3D400

The room is not what I would have expected after seeing the room rates. It was nice but not stellar. There was a glass door that separated the sleeping area from the bathroom and the entrance which blocked out a lot of the noise from the pool area below. I did really like this feature. I do realize that you are not just paying for your room but the other amenities that the hotel offers like the pools, food and beach. The hotel is in a great area with a lot of shops and restaurants nearby. There is a walgreens just a 5 minute walk to the left as you are coming out of the hotel. Here are some pictures of our room.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

You can see the glass door that you can close to separate the room from the entrance and bathroom. If you have your balcony door open it will automatically shut off the air.

ry%3D400

More pictures of La Concha to come!!!

we were on the Adventure the week after you out of Puerto Rico. We went to Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Martin, St. Croix and then an excursion in Puerto Rico.

We've never docked at any other place than Florida. By chance met my neighbor (lives 1 1/2 miles from me) on our cruise and she was a B2B so she was on with you.

Love to share any and all information about our ports. I just wrote a LONG review of our ordeal with taxis in St. Marten Moho Beach/Airport Bar.

(I haven't even finished reading your review) We also have already booked our next cruise. Cruising makes you realize what's life if you don't live?!!!!!!!

I'm a colon cancer survivor and feel it's now or never.

Jenni

We were on the same cruise. We are from Mpls and may have been on the same flight. We flew United and changed planes in Chicago. Delayed for de-icing. Great cruise!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

We had such a great time, loved this cruise!!! Our flight was scheduled to leave at 8:20Am but was delayed for the de-icing!!! I was so glad that we were able to fly out. I am always a nervous wreck when everything starts getting close because of the weather. You just never know what it is going to do but I guess that is what I get for going on vacation in February!!! :)

I found the Freedom class and Voyager class to be very similiar in that they both had Promoenades with stores and restaurants and the inside cabins had windows over looking the Promoenades (important if you want the inside cabin for dark and quiet).

There was no flow rider on the Adventure (was Liberty). The balcony on the Adventure was wierd in that it was enclosed with siders and a kind of window overtop the railing. I like the balcony on the Liberty best. We could have dragged our mattress out and slept there. Oh, the pool on the Liberty is extremely cool and has (don't know how to spell) cannalevered hot tubs.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if the Radiance class Brilliance of the Seas has the outside glass elevators as did the Radiance (2011)*

*we got stuck with hundreds of assisted living patients out of Florida on that one so unfortunately we had to use the steps.

Jenni

we were on the Adventure the week after you out of Puerto Rico. We went to Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Martin, St. Croix and then an excursion in Puerto Rico.

We've never docked at any other place than Florida. By chance met my neighbor (lives 1 1/2 miles from me) on our cruise and she was a B2B so she was on with you.

Love to share any and all information about our ports. I just wrote a LONG review of our ordeal with taxis in St. Marten Moho Beach/Airport Bar.

(I haven't even finished reading your review) We also have already booked our next cruise. Cruising makes you realize what's life if you don't live?!!!!!!!

I'm a colon cancer survivor and feel it's now or never.

Jenni

Oh no, St Marten is one of our stops on our next cruise so I will need to read your review!!!

You are right about cruising! I love having the next one to look forward to. We only get 1 vacation a year right now so I try and make sure it is perfect! :)

I agree 100% with you, you never know what is in store for you so we live and enjoy life now!!! We have made lots of great memories and we have lots of pictures that we look at all of the time. No better vacation for us then a cruise!!!

our table mates Linda and Tom also stayed at La Concha Saturday, February 8. Trying to figure out where it was. We figured the area that the restaurant "the Metropol" is???? Any idea or more on how to book for the next time?

We would like to do a visit to Old San Juan so an overnight at a hotel is necessary.

Thanks

FYI those on that cruise referred to yours as the "ABC" Cruise. I heard that St. Kitts and Curacao were terrific. I'd never even heard of Curacao before!! If you get around to any of the pictures first I sure would love to see them.

I'll have to ask hubby how to post picture here if you'd like any specific ports I should start with. We found the beach in Antigua that all our ships excursions were booked and saved $11/per person doing it on our own. Taxi driver was great and cheap, I think. Never been to so many ports so I keep getting them all confused. Poor me, right?!!!

we are taking them on a Christmas Cruise (never done) and they haven't cruised since 2008. They were 16, 12 and 8 years old. They were in the lowest class cabins and remember it more fondly than the Las Vegas/Grand Canyon vacation. 2008 was on Thanksgiving. Hubby and I always go ourselves February about every other year.

Your little boy will always remember!!!!

we're 6th time Royal cruisers going on our first Christmas Cruise. Would love to hear of your experiences. Kids don't know but we are taking them (their second cruise). They will be 23, 19 and 15 years old. Any ideas for how to aid in the Christmas feeling since we live in the Northeast? Lights for the balcony rails, etc???

our table mates Linda and Tom also stayed at La Concha Saturday, February 8. Trying to figure out where it was. We figured the area that the restaurant "the Metropol" is???? Any idea or more on how to book for the next time?

We would like to do a visit to Old San Juan so an overnight at a hotel is necessary.

Thanks

La Concha is in the Condado area. We were right on the ocean and there was nice park to the right of the hotel as you exited. On that Sunday they had lots of tents set up with amazing food. It was a great location!!!

I used Priceline for our room. Much cheaper then booking through them. There is a thread on here about Priceline bidding which was very helpful!!! We are going to try and get down a couple days early before the next cruise to do some sight seeing. I really wanted to get to the forts but time did not allow this trip so that is on the schedule for next year.. The pier for Royal was much farther down then the Carnival pier so it is a much farther walk. If I am not mistaken I think there is a trolley that you can hop on and off of at different locations!!!

La Concha is in the Condado area. We were right on the ocean and there was nice park to the right of the hotel as you exited. On that Sunday they had lots of tents set up with amazing food. It was a great location!!!

I used Priceline for our room. Much cheaper then booking through them. There is a thread on here about Priceline bidding which was very helpful!!! We are going to try and get down a couple days early before the next cruise to do some sight seeing. I really wanted to get to the forts but time did not allow this trip so that is on the schedule for next year.. The pier for Royal was much farther down then the Carnival pier so it is a much farther walk. If I am not mistaken I think there is a trolley that you can hop on and off of at different locations!!!

Since search is currently disabled, do you happen to have a link to the priceline thread? I was planning on doing name your own price (has worked out very well for me throughout the US before), but I would love pointers on which areas and star-levels to avoid.

Since search is currently disabled, do you happen to have a link to the priceline thread? I was planning on doing name your own price (has worked out very well for me throughout the US before), but I would love pointers on which areas and star-levels to avoid.

Okay lets see if this works. It is a very long thread!!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=412956

This is a sticky at the top of the San Juan ports of call board if the link does not work.

Edited by ILUVCRUIZN