Power Strips??

pawsue521

For the poster who originally suggested the Belkin here, remember, that any plug and outlet that has 3 prongs is grounded. What you are probably referring to is surge suppression, but surge suppressors have no use onboard ships, and generally are why power strips and multi-outlets like this are taken.

Yes you are right, Surge suppression... really never knew there was a difference :) Thank you so much for clarifying!

I only use it to charge my cell (and my cabin mates as well) and cameras at night anyways. I don't overload it w/ computers, tablets or major objects of the like... Still never had it taken from my carry-on and I don't even try and hide it... So until they do confiscate it, I shall continue to pack it...

Edited by bajangoddess82

I believe there is a reason there is only one plug per cabin and that if there are lots of folks bringing power strips and plugging in lots of electronics, we're just inviting disaster. On my 2nd Miracle cruise, we had an aft balcony. Coming down the hallway one day, we could SMELL that "electrical fire" smell! Turned the corner and there were three men in full fire-fighting gear peering into an electrical closet across from our cabin (which was next door to a laundry room).

YIKES!

Personally, fire on a cruise ship is not something I look forward to!

I bought a 3 plug, 2 USB port surge protector. It did NOT fit in the plug on Fantasy because of the plug location and mine doesn't have a swivel. It DID fit into the plug on Conquest.

I unplugged it whenever it was not in use. I absolutely would not leave something plugged in when I was not there.

I've sailed with 3 females in a cabin, all with hair dryers, curling irons, phones, and cameras and we've managed with one plug. It can be done.

I just don't want to be the person who causes the electrical fire that kills us. And I hope the rest of you feel the same way! :eek:

I believe there is a reason there is only one plug per cabin and that if there are lots of folks bringing power strips and plugging in lots of electronics, we're just inviting disaster. On my 2nd Miracle cruise, we had an aft balcony. Coming down the hallway one day, we could SMELL that "electrical fire" smell! Turned the corner and there were three men in full fire-fighting gear peering into an electrical closet across from our cabin (which was next door to a laundry room).

YIKES!

Personally, fire on a cruise ship is not something I look forward to!

I bought a 3 plug, 2 USB port surge protector. It did NOT fit in the plug on Fantasy because of the plug location and mine doesn't have a swivel. It DID fit into the plug on Conquest.

I unplugged it whenever it was not in use. I absolutely would not leave something plugged in when I was not there.

I've sailed with 3 females in a cabin, all with hair dryers, curling irons, phones, and cameras and we've managed with one plug. It can be done.

I just don't want to be the person who causes the electrical fire that kills us. And I hope the rest of you feel the same way! :eek:

Yes I agree, the responsible thing to do is to unplug it when not in use and unplug it when no one is in the cabin. Unfortunately some are not as cautious as others...