Tipping camp carnival staff

michaelandjoanne

Wow. Just wow. We have always tipped.

Good for you for being so generous to salaried employees, specially when they are already collecting an extra 15% during hourly rate hours. But what makes you say, "wow, just wow" at my statement? :confused:

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

Our kids went on their first cruise last year and use CC each day. They really enjoyed it, and it made the trip much nicer for my DH and I to have some adult time for a couple hours each day. My DD made some friends, and my DS wasn't as hesitant and shy as I feared he might be. At the end of the cruise - and for that matter along the way- we asked them about the counselors and what did they think. Based on their comments and our impressions a tip was warranted. We personally handed it to the staff on the last day.

Also, since someone mentioned this - just to clarify: there is no up-charge for the standard hours during the day. There is only a fee for the late night option. Frankly, we would pay more than this for a sitter at home - and the fact that they have the option is quite fabulous I think. Although we didn't use it on our last trip, the kids have asked to please go to the night owls party on our upcoming trip.

- just to clarify: there is no up-charge for the standard hours during the day. There is only a fee for the late night option. /QUOTE]

And when the fee is applied, so is the gratuity. The added tip has only been around for about 3-4 years, when they raised the price from $6.00, to $6.75 and added the Night owls. This occurred in 2011. I have not used the late night in the past 3 years, they used to "discount" for each additional child, not sure if they do it now.

When they first started "Night Owls", is was only $26.00 for the night until 3 AM and there was no extra tip added.

The price went up later in 2011, I think it is around $33.00 plus tip now???? Our DD asked to go to the "Night Owls" on our cruise in 2012, gave up us buying her a soda card to participate, but not enough children signed up, (we were not billed). The Counselor knew she gave up her soda card for the "Night Owls", and arranged for her to participate, (on stage) in the Magic show that evening. That is the only time we tipped a Camp Counselor.