Good beach?

kwcruise

Either do one of the excursions or take a watertaxi to Caye Caulker and snorkel off the Split there.

Unfortunately that's the lay of the land around Belize City. There is a manmade beach used by locals called Cucumber Beach about a 15 minute taxi ride from the tender pier. I don't think there's really any snorkeling there except practicing.

http://www.oldbelize.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Crewsweeper, what do you mean snorkel off the split? Is the snorkeling very good there? Would that be a fun day to walk around caye caulker and do some snorkeling? Is caye caulker a nice little island? Thanks

Edited by rlyans

Rylans, the split on caye caulker is the very upper tip of the south island where a hurricane back about 50 years ago dredged a channel between the developed side and the mangrove swamps. There's snorkeling there and local fishermen. Reef's about 8 feet down depending on the tides. no real facilities out side of a small bar, lazy Lizard, so you're kinda on your own. But people do swim and snorkel there, although most try to go out further via a boat. It's a nice little getaway. A bit laid back and not jam packed with things to do or vendors yammering at you.

Crewsweeper, did you take the ferry I have been reading about out to caye caulker? Also is there a little beach by the lazy lizard or is it just rocky?

You seem very knowledgable about this area. We were there once and did the cave tubing (had a good time) looking for something a little different. Also have you been to island Roatan? Any great beaches or things to do there? Thanks for sharing, rlyans

Caye Caulker is a laid back pace. There is a beach area around the Lazy Lizard. Visitor sun and play in the water. You can rent a golf cart, or walk. I've done both.

Plenty of small, some in homes, places to eat local cuisine. Lots of little bars and places to visit if one gets thirsty.

It is not a loud touristy place to visit. No gaudy t-shirt shops, Senior' Frogs, or Fat Tuesdays. Local kids roam the sand street here in their school uniforms, playing, and having a fun life.

6 more weeks will find me at the Lazy Lizard, and checking out the spit!:D

Lunch at Rose's is a must for your first time visit.

Edited by markntara

• 3 weeks later...

Goff's Caye is an excellent choice and a great value, without the worry about making it back to port in time that you would have with the water taxi.

Did anyone mention the 2 grilled lobster tail lunch for $10 and free rum punch at Goff's Caye? Yummy!

Edited by James in SA

• 2 weeks later...

We ldid goffs caye in January with our young kids. It was perfect. We used island marketing to book. They were easy to find when we got off the tender and very professional

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app