Buffet queue jumping on carnival, is it rude?

fishtaco

Honestly, it drive in insane when people jump in to grab one thing! DH tells me to just let it go, but on the other hand I really don't remember the last time someone said "Excuse me, can I just grab a butter?". If someone did this, it most likely wouldn't make my blood boil.

Usual it's people just cutting in while giving me the stink eye, or someone just reaching saying "I need...". It's rude. If people were more polite about it, I probably wouldn't mind.

I actually had someone cut me last cruise to get one thing, but said the me "watch it, coming through!". Excuse me?!

Many people don't have manners anymore.

It depends on the situation. I'm much less likely to be upset if someone politely asks first and you only need one item. "Excuse me, would you mind if just grabbed some butter?" is no big deal.

Just barging in and filling a plate with multiple items, even if there seems to be a break in the line, isn't ok. Often the line will catch up to you and then those folks who were in line first are held up waiting for you.

I agree with you

If there is a line I will wait with everyone else, but I'm a bit of a "gap" hopper. If I see a large space where no one else is taking food from then I'll nip in and do that bit. Then hop to the next bit where there is a gap... Speeds things up for everyone. Stupid to wait behind the ones who can't make up their mind when the rest of the area is free

Sent from my HTC One using Forums mobile app

I guess I am a stupid polite canadian as me and my whole family wait in line and watch people like you barge in..yes your right it is quicker but it's not right. I explain to my kids that we wait like civilized people. Not sure how you think it speeds things up for me? We end up waiting for you at some point!:rolleyes:

you got to use some common sense... for example - people line up for their eggs fried as they like...that's the start of the buffet line. you don't want any fried eggs, there's nobody in front of the porridge or toast. you politely ask to cut in to get some cutlery and tray ( that area is crowded because that's where the line starts ), now you go grab your toast and jam and go eat. you are not interfering with anybody's opportunity to get the choice slice of bacon. The same thing happens at the deli... everybody wants a sandwich, they are lined up, you don't want a sandwich. You just want a pickle, go get your pickle and enjoy. You see it all the time, if all you want is a roll and the roll is at the end of the buffet. It's easy, you just ask someone that is in line if you can just grab a roll or you wait until nobody is in that area. It's not a big deal and they certainly wont run out of food.

You should be reasonably civilized because some people might be somewhat more sensitive than others, but since there are so many culinary options over the course of the cruise I wouldn't be too put out over a couple of rude peopl

My two cents worth

Ian

I also agree with you.

There are only two applicable situations.

If you have been through the line and have forgotten a crucial condiment or utensil. You then approach the location, watch for a pause, ask the person if you may obtain the one item

Or

If you are behind the person who is confused between links or patties, or a parent playing what do you want to eat..you may ask them if you may play through..and you step around only them.

I set my plate of chips and cheese sauce down on the back of the Red Frog bar and walked very quickly to the ice cream machine since I know that dairy tends to take the bite out of spicy hot things really fast. It has something to do with the molecules in the dairy binding to the molecules that make something spicy hot or something.

Honestly, it drive in insane when people jump in to grab one thing! DH tells me to just let it go, but on the other hand I really don't remember the last time someone said "Excuse me, can I just grab a butter?". If someone did this, it most likely wouldn't make my blood boil.

Usual it's people just cutting in while giving me the stink eye, or someone just reaching saying "I need...". It's rude. If people were more polite about it, I probably wouldn't mind.

I actually had someone cut me last cruise to get one thing, but said the me "watch it, coming through!". Excuse me?!

Many people don't have manners anymore.

If people have to move out of my way so that I can get to the butter, I always ask for permission first. If there is a gap in the buffet, I'm fine with bypassing people without asking for permission.

It depends on the situation. I'm much less likely to be upset if someone politely asks first and you only need one item. "Excuse me, would you mind if just grabbed some butter?" is no big deal.

Just barging in and filling a plate with multiple items, even if there seems to be a break in the line, isn't ok. Often the line will catch up to you and then those folks who were in line first are held up waiting for you.

Agree

Here's a situation I found myself in last cruise on Victory. I was in the buffet line and there was a man in front of me getting his food like everyone...next thing I know, his wife and four kids joined him with their plates. The whole line had to basically back up to make room for them all! There was some grumbling and he got the evil eye, but really, what do ya do!

Sent from my Ipad

I have been in the buffet lines and I listen as the mother (or father) asks Johny. "So Johny, what would you like?" And Johnny says "I'm not hungry." The mother then says. "How about we try the Broccoli". Johny replies. "But I don't like broccoli." She then turns to Mary and says. "How about you Mary? Would you like broccoli." Mary say "But I don't like broccoli." .................................. AT THAT POINT I JUMP THE LINE. Happens every cruise! Do I feel guilty? Not on your life!

If someone asked, "hey, mind if I pass", I have no problem with that. I've also looked behind and encouraged people to jump the line, "go ahead, you need something right here, back up baby and let them pass". The main thing is be polite, ask to jump in, pass up, etc. Common courtesy goes a long way.

There are only two applicable situations.

If you have been through the line and have forgotten a crucial condiment or utensil. You then approach the location, watch for a pause, ask the person if you may obtain the one item

Or

If you are behind the person who is confused between links or patties, or a parent playing what do you want to eat..you may ask them if you may play through..and you step around only them.

There are many situations not just 2:confused:

It sounds like you have your own set of steadfast buffet rules that you believe everyone should abide by lol "No Soup For You" lol But thats fine and the reason for the question in the first instance:)

If you have been to the Deli or Tandoor and just want one thing from the regular buffet to go with the above and there is a big hold up or break before the item you want then why should you stand in a line to get to an item that is way ahead of the line:confused:

There is a big difference between blatant queue jumping and knowing where an item you want is situated and just getting it if it doesn't interfere with those queuing who are slow choosing or have not decided dont you think?

I will go around if there is a gap in front. If those in front of me are getting salads, and I'm not, I will go around them if there is a gap between them. If there is no gap, I will just wait . I've had many people just slip in and grab something they may have forgotten or didn't see the first time around. Most ask if they can and I have no problem with that. I do the same, asking first if they mind.

Tina

I think it depends on the Cruise Line. I think it is expected on Carnival. What irks me is the folks (and there are a lot of them) who politely or not ask if they can just grab a plate and then go to the end of the line and work backwards, just asking for whatever item here or there.

Similar to Elaine7515's anecdote, I too have an intolerance for slow-moving buffet patrons. It especially makes me irritated when, after they've been waiting in line for several minutes, they slowly read the name of each food dish. "Hmmm...let's see. Glazed carrots. Mmm. No. Roast beef. OK."

COULD THEY NOT HAVE BEEN PREVIEWING THE FOOD WHILE WAITING like I did?!?!

Clearly, I am a Fast-Moving-All-Business-Buffet-Ninja as I already know EXACTLY which dishes I am getting, and where they are in the line.

:D

Edited by CeleBrat

This why I hate buffets! I'm not one who has to eat everything on it just because it's there! I'm a gap filler, too! If the line is held up for someone that can't make a decision or helping their children with their food, I'm not going to stand there and wait behind them. The buffet line would never move if that were the case. I don't think it's rude, I think it's common sense!

There are many situations not just 2:confused:

It sounds like you have your own set of steadfast buffet rules that you believe everyone should abide by lol "No Soup For You" lol But thats fine and the reason for the question in the first instance:)

If you have been to the Deli or Tandoor and just want one thing from the regular buffet to go with the above and there is a big hold up or break before the item you want then why should you stand in a line to get to an item that is way ahead of the line:confused:

There is a big difference between blatant queue jumping and knowing where an item you want is situated and just getting it if it doesn't interfere with those queuing who are slow choosing or have not decided dont you think?

It is blatantly cutting when there is a line waiting to go through the buffet and one person decides they can cut in and help themselves without requesting/receiving courtesy from everyone that have bypassed.

Simple politeness is always the best policy in everything!

Just say to the person going through the entire food line, "Excuse me...I just want to get the 'Chicken' "(whatever you are wanting) if you see the person or people can't decide what they want...then say "Thank you" with a nice :DSMILE:D! Simple and Polite and friendly.

Edited by monakayk