Buffet queue jumping on carnival, is it rude?

fishtaco

Similar to Elaine7515's anecdote, I too have an intolerance for slow-moving buffet patrons. It especially makes me irritated when, after they've been waiting in line for several minutes, they slowly read the name of each food dish. "Hmmm...let's see. Glazed carrots. Mmm. No. Roast beef. OK."

COULD THEY NOT HAVE BEEN PREVIEWING THE FOOD WHILE WAITING like I did?!?!

Clearly, I am a Fast-Moving-All-Business-Buffet-Ninja as I already know EXACTLY which dishes I am getting, and where they are in the line.

:D

It may be an issue of how good your long range vision is. I may not be able to read the signs until I'm fairly close. Also - if the sign faces forward only - there may be no way to read what the sign says - no matter how good your eyes are - until you are nearly in front of that dish of food.

Sometimes I'll walk around the outside of line trying to get a glimpse of what is in the case - to see if it's worth waiting in line for. This can get varied reactions from those in line - I am peeking just to catch a glimpse of the food before committing to the line - not trying to barge in and get in front of anyone. I don't mind waiting my turn - I just don't want to stand in line if there turns out to be nothing worth putting on my plate.

Edited by CanWeGoYet?

For me, it comes down to one thing. If it slows someone else up who was in line before me, I wait. If I can get in and out without making someone wait, then why would somebody be upset at me?

Exactly.

If there is a line of people bottlenecked at the bacon and all I need is a hard-boiled egg that's three pans down in a wide-open gap, I have zero qualms about stepping up, getting the egg, and walking away. It doesn't inconvenience anyone else.

If my actions are going to directly impact anyone, I ask politely ("Excuse me, I forgot to get a spoon, may I reach in here?").

Exactly.

If there is a line of people bottlenecked at the bacon and all I need is a hard-boiled egg that's three pans down in a wide-open gap, I have zero qualms about stepping up, getting the egg, and walking away. It doesn't inconvenience anyone else.

If my actions are going to directly impact anyone, I ask politely ("Excuse me, I forgot to get a spoon, may I reach in here?").

I expect the majority self included would ask permission if it was going to impact the queue or people in it say if I just forgot the gravy and needed it:)

But also as you say for an item that isnt going to inconvenience a bottleneck queue I cant see a problem! If you need to ask the permission of the first in the queue then you need to ask all in the queue lol

Clearly some think it is totally wrong and rude to grab an item without asking permission regardless a huge break in the queue so I am glad I asked the question:)

Also glad I only eat buffet when the MDR isnt open!

I expect the majority self included would ask permission if it was going to impact the queue or people in it say if I just forgot the gravy and needed it:)

But also as you say for an item that isnt going to inconvenience a bottleneck queue I cant see a problem! If you need to ask the permission of the first in the queue then you need to ask all in the queue lol

Clearly some think it is totally wrong and rude to grab an item without asking permission regardless a huge break in the queue so I am glad I asked the question:)

Also glad I only eat buffet when the MDR isnt open!

I think the main issue is that Carnival have a dysfunctional set up for their buffet. The way it's designed is all wrong, and causes bottle necks. If you are getting a hot item, make sure it is the last thing you get, or otherwise it will be cold. I don't know why everyone stands in the queue if they only want one quick thing at the other end where there is no one. Just makes the queue worse.

It depends on the situation. I'm much less likely to be upset if someone politely asks first and you only need one item. "Excuse me, would you mind if just grabbed some butter?" is no big deal.

Just barging in and filling a plate with multiple items, even if there seems to be a break in the line, isn't ok. Often the line will catch up to you and then those folks who were in line first are held up waiting for you.

I agree 100%. I've jumped line before but always ask politely if it's okay first and I always make a conscious effort to be out of the way before anyone in line can catch up with me. Also, I wouldn't do this at any kind of line that has a station that caters to special orders in it just in case they take too long and people would catch up with me.

Jumping buffet lines is like chair hogging. There is always some reason to do it. Clearly no one would object, and if they do, they are unrealistic, should be sailing on Regent, and by the way shouldn't let the door slam them on their way out.

One of my favorite threads on here was a few years ago. Some of you may remember it. One member commented that she was in the buffet line and some woman cut in line in front of her to "get some chicken" and brought the entire steamer tray back to her table.

I don't know if that story was true or not, but it probably wouldn't surprise me.

It may be an issue of how good your long range vision is. I may not be able to read the signs until I'm fairly close. Also - if the sign faces forward only - there may be no way to read what the sign says - no matter how good your eyes are - until you are nearly in front of that dish of food.

Sometimes I'll walk around the outside of line trying to get a glimpse of what is in the case - to see if it's worth waiting in line for. This can get varied reactions from those in line - I am peeking just to catch a glimpse of the food before committing to the line - not trying to barge in and get in front of anyone. I don't mind waiting my turn - I just don't want to stand in line if there turns out to be nothing worth putting on my plate.

DW and I usually do this. I will check 1 buffet line while she checks the other. We then decide if a line is worth getting in and waiting, depending on food options. Most times, we end up with the deli and/or getting a fresh baked calzone or pizza.