Rome from port - train or transfer?

teachluvbeach

I am traveling with 4 other adults this summer. None of them have been to Rome so I'd like to book a tour of the highlights. Civitavecchia is our 3rd port and we will be doing a lot of driving at the first two stops. We would like to do a private tour in Rome, but are undecided about how to get there. I've seen that companies can pick you up at in Civitavecchia, but I wondered if taking the train to Rome and starting the tour there might be better - giving us a short reprieve from the car while saving a little money. There are only 2 ships in port that day (<5,000 passengers) so I would hope trains won't be full. So...my question: Is it too risky to take the train and meet the tour guide in Rome, or should we play it safe and include the transfer from the port? TIA!

I am normally the last to recommend tours (we do nearly everything on our own) but in your situation with 5 adults it just makes sense to start your tour right at the pier. Trying to arrange to meet a tour guide in Rome is just a bit iffy as you cannot be sure of which train you will make. There are several highly recommended (here on CC) private tour companies (i.e. Romeinlimo, Romecabs, etc) that would meet you right at the pier (they will have a sign with your name) and you will be on your way. If you have your mind set on doing a private tour this is the way to go.

Hank

• 1 month later...

We travelled as four adults from the port to Rome last summer - but it was at the end of the cruise. However, I would be comfortable to do it both ways now.

It is a straightforward walk from the port entrance to the train station takes about 20 mins (about half a mile). If you do go by train make sure that you get the express it takes about 45 minutes, slower trains are about 1 hour 20 mins. I think that we paid about 7 euros 50c each way. Further details are on http://www.civitavecchiaport.org/how-to-get-there

There are also lots of taxis at the port entrance offering day trips to Rome, my parents took that option when they visited and had a great day

Have a great time

Edited by HMWCambridge

The express trains are much more infrequent; I would take the next train that pulls into the station. The 'slow' trains costs 12E for a round trip BIRG ticket that also gives you all day use of the metro and buses too. But you need a different ticket for the Express and IMO it is certainly not worth waiting for. . .

While the train is easy and cheap, I agree with Hank regarding meeting a guide in Rome. That could prove to be challenging especially if you do t really know where you are going, or who you are meeting. Might be easier for the peace of mind to have the tour operator pick you up at the pier. We have done this option in a few other ports and have had a positive experience each time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums