London pass 2014

hsaroya

For anyone who's considering a London Pass, here is my research.

After the advice of friends who recently returned from London, I purchased 4 London passes for my family (3 adult passes as my son will be 17 and doesn't qualify for the child price, and one child pass for my DD who is ecstatic that she will turn 15 in London!). They are good for 3 days. There is a 10% off discount running until Feb 25. As well, the three day right now is only a couple of dollars more than the two day. We are in London for 5 nights. With the Pass, we get into all of the sites listed below at no cost other than the price of the pass. There are many more attractions available on the Pass that we are not interested in.

The price for 4 was GBP 270, or approx. $500 CDN. Below is a list of the places that we would have visited regardless of the pass (actually, there's probably 3 on the list that I added as a result of the pass). When I price each according to the ticket prices on that attraction's home page, the approx total was GBP 725 or $1340 CDN. Ouch. So, quite a considerable savings with the Pass and we can skip many of the lines and go straight in to show our pass. I know that there are some 2 for 1 deals out there as well, but not necessarily for all of these attractions. Hopefully, my friends have given us sound advice. I will report back after our return at the end of August.

Prices below are what my family of 4 would pay without the Pass and are in GBP, totalling 725, versus the GBP 270 for the pass.

Tower of London family pass 50

Windsor castle 80

Hampton palace family pass 27

Westminster Abbey, family of four 44

Tower bridge tour 27

Kensington palace 45

Royal mews 32

Wellington arch 15

Churchill war room 45

London bridge experience 80

Thames river boat cruise hop on hop off 60

Canal boat regent's canal 1.5 hrs 35

Chelsea stadium tour 70

Wembley stadium tour 55

Arsenal stadium tour 60

Unfortunately, Buckingham Palace was not included, so we will do that separately.

Edited by hsaroya

Any family thinking of buying a London Pass should take a look on the Trip Advisor London forum. A better alternative to the Pass in many cases seems to be to buy a National Railcard which comes with 2 for 1 offers on various attractions and gives cheaper travel as well.

Any family thinking of buying a London Pass should take a look on the Trip Advisor London forum. A better alternative to the Pass in many cases seems to be to buy a National Railcard which comes with 2 for 1 offers on various attractions and gives cheaper travel as well.

Yes, for most a London Pass does not pay while an Oyster card for the Underground certainly does. So many sights on that list that the average person would never go to.

For anyone who's considering a London Pass, here is my research.

After the advice of friends who recently returned from London, I purchased 4 London passes for my family (3 adult passes as my son will be 17 and doesn't qualify for the child price, and one child pass for my DD who is ecstatic that she will turn 15 in London!). They are good for 3 days. There is a 10% off discount running until Feb 25. As well, the three day right now is only a couple of dollars more than the two day. We are in London for 5 nights. With the Pass, we get into all of the sites listed below at no cost other than the price of the pass. There are many more attractions available on the Pass that we are not interested in.

The price for 4 was GBP 270, or approx. $500 CDN. Below is a list of the places that we would have visited regardless of the pass (actually, there's probably 3 on the list that I added as a result of the pass). When I price each according to the ticket prices on that attraction's home page, the approx total was GBP 725 or $1340 CDN. Ouch. So, quite a considerable savings with the Pass and we can skip many of the lines and go straight in to show our pass. I know that there are some 2 for 1 deals out there as well, but not necessarily for all of these attractions. Hopefully, my friends have given us sound advice. I will report back after our return at the end of August.

Prices below are what my family of 4 would pay without the Pass and are in GBP, totalling 725, versus the GBP 270 for the pass.

Tower of London family pass 50

Windsor castle 80

Hampton palace family pass 27

Westminster Abbey, family of four 44

Tower bridge tour 27

Kensington palace 45

Royal mews 32

Wellington arch 15

Churchill war room 45

London bridge experience 80

Thames river boat cruise hop on hop off 60

Canal boat regent's canal 1.5 hrs 35

Chelsea stadium tour 70

Wembley stadium tour 55

Arsenal stadium tour 60

Unfortunately, Buckingham Palace was not included, so we will do that separately.

We did the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace and there isn't a fee. Just get there early for a good view. Benjamin Franklin's House is also included with your card. We really enjoyed that.

Please Note:

Your London Pass has a daily credit limit of £90. That is, the cumulative individual entrance cost of the individual attractions you visit in one day must not exceed this amount.

I believe the 90 is for a one day pass. We have 3 day passes and the info below from their website indicates we can use up to 270 (the full value) in one day. We'll do it over the three days, however.

"The London Pass is subject to a purse value of maximum gate prices related to the number of days. For example, with a one day adult pass you can visit up to £90 worth of attractions. Here is a complete breakdown of purse values:

Pass Duration"

Full Adult Public Entry Value "Purse Value"

1 Day Pass £90

2 Day Pass £180

3 Day Pass £270

6 Day Pass £540