TRiumph in Galveston today ?

overthehillcruiser

Tell her we feel for her, as this is a real spoiler of a start.We have been pretty lucky, but once had to sit on the terminal floor for 4 hours as there were no chairs. They gave us $25 OBC...But once she is onboard and gets the feel of everything she will be all smiles I hope.:)

My daughter is in Galveston waiting to get on. Might not happen today at all. This is her first cruise and she's not a happy camper right now. :(
Edited by overthehillcruiser

My daughter is in Galveston waiting to get on. Might not happen today at all. This is her first cruise and she's not a happy camper right now. :(

That's a terrible start for a first cruise. :( All that excitement waiting for that day to come and then Mother Nature doesn't cooperate. I hope she has a good time when they finally get to board.

I'm in Houston waiting for the Triumph to get in too so I can get down there and board. Anyone know how much time I will have between the Triumph finally docking and then embarking? I'll probably need about 2 hours to get down there and board. I don't want to miss the cruise but I also don't want to drive down there and just wait. Also, what's Carnival's policy for making up for something like this?

Carnival just updated me saying I won't be boarding today. Next update is 9AM tomorrow. So...do I get back a day later? Do I just lose a whole day of my cruise with no refund...I gotta say as my first time booking a cruise this blows.

It seems like since we booked our Triumph cruise, the only news I hear is about fog in Galveston. Is it always like this? We've never sailed out of Galveston, but will be in April. Should we plan for fog in April?

Doubtful there will be sea fog in April. Sea fog is when the air temp is higher than the water temp. By April water temp should be up. January and February are the worse months for sea fog in Galveston.

And no this is not the only port that deals with this. Just the other day Tampa was closed because of fog.

Wow!!!!!! Tomorrow?!?!?! Yikes! That fog must be like pea soup. All day????????? Definitely getting OBC or refund for lost day. Don't think they'll extend the cruise......that would cause a snowball effect for the cruises after yours. Sorry!!! :(

Most likely those having their cruise shortened by a day will be reimbursed something....maybe OBC. They will not extend your cruise another day. Hopefully you can board tomorrow.

This seems to happen a LOT in Galveston. So sorry it happened!!

Doubtful there will be sea fog in April. Sea fog is when the air temp is higher than the water temp. By April water temp should be up. January and February are the worse months for sea fog in Galveston.

And no this is not the only port that deals with this. Just the other day Tampa was closed because of fog.

This is Tampa. Again.

I remember when a fog delayed the Conquest and the Voyager from leaving Galveston for two days. I hope this doesn't happen to us next weekend when we are suppose to board the Navigator.

But right now I feel sorry for those people on board who missed flights today and are expected back to work tomorrow.

Carnival just updated me saying I won't be boarding today. Next update is 9AM tomorrow. So...do I get back a day later? Do I just lose a whole day of my cruise with no refund...I gotta say as my first time booking a cruise this blows.

you will lose a whole day. you will come back on the same day (unless it's delayed again on the way back!).

typically they will offer some form of compensation, such as a pro-rated refund of the lost day, additional obc over and above that, and / or a discount on a future cruise. if it impacts the itinerary, such as turning a 4 day to a cruise to nowhere, i believe in the past they have also extended the option to booked cruisers to cancel without penalty.

i'd call carnival and see what your options are. sorry your cruise is delayed :(

We had this happen to us 2 weeks ago while trying to get on the Magic. The fog didn't lift until 4pm and we finally go on the ship at 11:30pm. I will never do another cruise in the January-February time frame. This is the second time we've had a fog delay getting on a ship in February. The locals say it happens a lot during this time.

Thanks, that makes sense. I feel sorry for those that planned so far in advance for this cruise that we ALL know they are so excited for, and then they lose a day. It could happen for any number of reasons to any of us though. I hope they still have fun, and don't let this uncontrollable circumstance get them down.

you will lose a whole day. you will come back on the same day (unless it's delayed again on the way back!).

typically they will offer some form of compensation, such as a pro-rated refund of the lost day, additional obc over and above that, and / or a discount on a future cruise. if it impacts the itinerary, such as turning a 4 day to a cruise to nowhere, i believe in the past they have also extended the option to booked cruisers to cancel without penalty.

i'd call carnival and see what your options are. sorry your cruise is delayed :(

Thanks. I'm not so much disappointed as I am for my mom. She was the one we booked this for and she's been looking forward to it. One of her few vacation days completely wasted waiting all day.

Just in

February 24, 2014

I’m back….

I know you are anxiously awaiting news about your cruise today, so I want to take a moment to provide you with an update.

I am sorry to say the Port of Galveston remains closed to all ship traffic. As a result we are forced to cancel today’s embarkation. Consequently, due to the uncertainty of when the port will re-open, our tentative plan is to operate a 4-day cruise embarking tomorrow, weather permitting.

If we are able to sail by 6:30 PM tomorrow, we will cancel our call in Progreso and continue with our plans to visit Cozumel. If our departure is later 6:30 PM, then we will cancel Cozumel and visit Progreso instead.

We sincerely apologize for this disruption to your cruise. Here are your options.

Sail with us and receive a:

- One-day pro-rated refund of your cruise fare (refunded within the next 2 weeks)

- Refund of the taxes, fees, and port expenses for the missed port

- Gratuities adjustment to reflect the shortened voyage

- Refund of any pre-purchased Shore excursions purchased for the cancelled port

We’re sorry but refunds will not be provided for flight changes, hotel accommodations, meals, transfers or other incidental costs resulting from this delay.

We realize this is an unexpected change in your travel plans and certainly hope you will still cruise with us. However, should you wish to cancel or reschedule, please contact 1800 CARNIVAL to request your refund or future cruise credit.

In the meantime, to stay in touch, if you have not already done so, we encourage you to sign up for text alerts by texting CCL1 to CRUISE (278473) to receive updates.

Once again, we apologize for this delay and thank you for your patience and understanding.

We will provide you with another update tomorrow at 9:00 AM CST.

Sincerely,

Vicky Rey, CTC

Vice President - Guest Services

Galveston has an average of ten sailings a year delayed by fog. This has been a weird winter for us, it has been very cold or muggy like today.

No sailing from Galveston has extended a cruise on purpose. In 2010 we had a tropical storm that closed the port for the Ecstasy and Carnival elected to do a 3 day cruise to nowhere.

Those of us that were platinum got a call that afternoon offering the 3 day trip for $150 a person, we took it. Carnival gave the 4 night passengers originally booked a 50% off voucher for a future cruise.

Edited by BallFour4

I have a friend who was waiting to board. She just posted on FB that she and her hubby will be cancelling the cruise and heading back home. What she posted is "It's so bad here they're saying the triumph might not even come in tomorrow." :(