Ship to Shore Phones

msmccorm

I remember when I went on a cruise with CCL last year they had something on their website about how people could call the ship through an operator. It was super expensive, but I gave it to family and my office, just in case. Now, I can't seem this information on their site. Does anyone know if this service has been discontinued?

My dad had a heart attack on a cruise recently. I called carnival through the number on the website, spoke to an operator and they got a message to the ship. Few minutes later, my mom called back from the ship. Because of the emergency, my dad was being airlifted off the ship, they gave my mom free calls. But it was quick and easy. Would have been faster if I had their booking number and cabin, but they found it easy enough with last name and birthday

Thanks for sharing soozles, I hope your Dad is doing well.

I wonder why they took that information off the website?

Because they no longer offer shore to ship.

In an emergency, call Carnival with ship, date, person's name, & cabin #. Carnival will contact the ship with the information and then the passenger can call home or wherever the emergency is.

Thanks for sharing soozles, I hope your Dad is doing well.

I wonder why they took that information off the website?

Yep that was my dad on the breeze. Carnival handled the whole thing amazingly. And given how quick things happened, I kind of feel like he would have died if this happened anywhere else, inuding at home. He's in Florida now, just had bypass surgery, but so far so good.

Yep that was my dad on the breeze. Carnival handled the whole thing amazingly. And given how quick things happened, I kind of feel like he would have died if this happened anywhere else, inuding at home. He's in Florida now, just had bypass surgery, but so far so good.

Wow!

First of all I am so sorry that happened to your Dad while on a cruise but am very glad that things are going good at the moment and certainly hope for continued recovery.

I was on the cruise and watched the airlift from Deck 11 right by the waterslides. It was certainly interesting to watch the entire operation.

If I may be so bold to ask I would like to know more about what happened after the helicopter left the ship.

Did they fly directly to Florida or did they stop somewhere to transfer to another aircraft?

I assume your Mom had to stay on the ship? That must have been very stressful for her to have to stay behind and wait until we arrived in Miami.

Has your Dad said anything about how he felt about being taken off the ship that way? I would think it would be very frightening to most people to be airlifted off the ship in any condition but to have a serious medical issue at the same time would send most people into near panic.

Once again, best wishes for a successful recovery for your Dad and please feel free to ignore any and all of my questions if I am getting to personal.

Best wishes!

Edited by bwellen

Wow!

First of all I am so sorry that happened to your Dad while on a cruise but am very glad that things are going good at the moment and certainly hope for continued recovery.

I was on the cruise and watched the airlift from Deck 11 right by the waterslides. It was certainly interesting to watch the entire operation.

If I may be so bold to ask I would like to know more about what happened after the helicopter left the ship.

Did they fly directly to Florida or did they stop somewhere to transfer to another aircraft?

I assume your Mom had to stay on the ship? That must have been very stressful for her to have to stay behind and wait until we arrived in Miami.

Has your Dad said anything about how he felt about being taken off the ship that way? I would think it would be very frightening to most people to be airlifted off the ship in any condition but to have a serious medical issue at the same time would send most people into near panic.

Once again, best wishes for a successful recovery for your Dad and please feel free to ignore any and all of my questions if I am getting to personal.

Best wishes!

So I think the plan changed a few times. First thing I heard was airlift right to Florida. Then they said it was too far, so the ship made a detour towards Turks and Caicos. Coast guard picked him up and they went to a hospital there, were there for a couple hours and then had an air ambulance take them to Florida. Carnival arranged the entire thing for them. This happened at about 2 am on early Friday morning, but the helicopter didn't come until about 6 or7 pm.

My mom was able to get on the helicopter with him. At first they said no, then they said she can go, but could only take a small handbag with medications, passports, etc. They took her up in a basket and a nurse from the ship also flew with them. My mom said sehnjust closed her eyes and waaited to be inside since she is terrified of heights. Inside the helicopter, there is no room to move around, and you're sitting all scrunched up, itmwas about 2.5 hours flying time. My mom was very impressed with the coast guards pants. She was amazed at the amount of stuff they carried in their pants. My dad doesn't say much, and now he's still sedated with a breathing tube that should come out today, so he hasn't said anything and now they've given him some heavy duty drugs, I'll be surprised if he remembers anything.

My in laws stayed behind on the ship, and they took care of their luggage. At first carnival said they can get them a porter to help them, but they ended up doing that option where you can check in your bags straight through to the airport and pick them up when you land, so they didn't have to contend with their suitcases and my parents. But carnival was great to them as well, they updated them with where my parents were, allowed them to call whoever they needed to make arrangements since originally my dad was going to drive them all back and his car was left at the airport. Lots of issues to deal with, but the important thing us he's on the right path. I'm just very impressed with the facilities on board, they were able to do everything a hospital without a cath lab would have done. Only thing is there was a huge time delay in going to the cath, but I don't think it would have changed anything.

I too was on that cruise and curious and concerned with what happened. I can tell you this, it seemed that Carnival did what they could to protect the privacy and dignity of your father. I know this because as we were going for dinner that night at 6pm, they had restricted access to decks and outside areas and the elevators. Maybe it was a safety thing, but I also think it was to prevent the looky-loo's and stuff. Thank you for sharing what happened. Its so great to hear that he is doing well and your family was looked after during the whole thing. Kudos to Carnival for how they handled the situation. Thoughts and prayers go out to your father and your family for a complete recovery and good health.

God Bless

-a fellow concerned passenger

We were also on the cruise and were worried about what happened. We are so glad to hear that yor dad made it safely to the hospital in time for treatment. How lucky that they were traveling with others who could take care of their packing and luggage.

For those who wonder about the Carnival emergency contact phone number, it DOES work. The last full day of the cruise, we got a call on our cabin phone from my husband's oldest brother to let us know that their middle brother had passed away sometime during the night. The Carnival Breeze customer service reps were extremely helpful and compassionate (especially Jonathan) and Googled some phone numbers for us as well as letting us use their phones to make some necessary calls at no charge to us.

Additionally, for those of you asking, you can use your cabin phone to make direct phone calls to just about anywhere, but I think the charge is $1.99 per minute.

Soozles, let your folks know that we are keeping them in our thoughts and prayers.

Soozles, I'm so glad to hear that your dad is recovering. I was also on the Breeze, and watched the airlift, which was really incredible. The Coast Guard did an amazing job. The whole time we were watching, though, we were all very concerned about the person being lifted and any family onboard with them. Thank you so much for letting us know what happened! Prayers for your dad and your family.