Book thru Disney or TA for upgrade?

tntcruise

I don't think it matters who you book through. The GTY matters more because of the flexibilty to move you unimpeded. However, do not be dissapointed if you are gambling for an upgrade (by booking GTY deliberately) and don't get one.

That is why most recommendations are to book the category you will be satisfied with, and if you get the upgrade then great !

Numerous postings have enquired how to get an upgrade. And after viewing dozens of threads on several sites over the past few years I have concluded that Disney does a good job of being diplomatic and secretive about their methods. It seems they have a really good randomizing method - as no one has volunteered any ideas NOR has one emerged from responses posted.

IE - booking a certain TA pattern - or booking early or late seems not to matter. Also - paying cheap or overpaying seem to have little influence.

I would think that Disney would have an interest in keeping their methods secret to protect their pricing and marketing efforts - naturally.

If you opt for a guarantee rate - then 1st - you MAY get a cabin that is not very well located (like something near the front of the ship with potential for severe ships' motion ~ or undesired noise from an upper deck or adjacent stairs); or you might get an improvement to a window or veranda? Off hand - I would not expect a veranda - let alone a suite if you booked a catagory 12 - but I would say you are UNLIKELY to get a 12 - but it is possible.

Another possibility is that I heard on "other" cruise lines it is possible to NOT get a cabin at all - since you are in effect "last priority" for cabin space. I have heard that some folks with a guarantee got a phone call a week or so before sailng and were told there was no space left. Some sort of remedy was offerred - but your air was NOT reimbursed unless it was booked (at skyhigh rates) through the cruise line.

I vaguely recall the displaced couple was offerred a favorable substitute on another sailing. They did complain about the airline change fees - but the upgrade on a future sailng off set that a bit.

The idea is - as previously mentioned - to book the minimum of what you must have. If you cannot travel flexably - or if you MUST take vacation time when you schedule it - or if you dislike sailing in certain parts of a ship - then the guarantee may not be the best option. If you can tolerate these variables then do a guarantee.

Frankly, I like the guarantee idea. BUT I might not try it during high season when they might sell out. I do not like making plans and then potentially canceling them. Of course - you could have an "alternate" vacation in mind in case you get resceheduled. Plus -

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

When you book a guarantee, you are guaranteed a cabin in at least the category you booked in. I have never heard of someone not getting a cabin. You paid for a cabin, you get a cabin. Most upgrades stay within the category as an inside, outside, balcony etc..... but there are many occasions when categories get upgraded from inside to outside etc....It is a roll of the dice and thus far all my rolls have had great outcomes. I book cruises on the side and have never had a problem with guests not getting at least what they paid for in the category. I have never had anyone turned away.

Hopes this helps.

I am considering a 12 guaranty. Do you think there is a better chance for upgrades directly thru Disney, a

Travel Agent or online?

I am also considering booking a cat 12 guarantee and I find the prices about $400 cheaper for a 4 day cruise when booking with a travel agent. If I stay in a cat 12 that's fine as long as I have a place to sleep and shower it's all good. :)

Bill

Archived