stern wraparounds on Noordam

bloofer

I'm looking for information on comparative sizes of two stern wraparounds on the Noordam: SC5190 and SB7142. I've been in 5190 and I know it is quite large (maybe the latest of all of these wraps). Is 7142 much smaller? If so, is the difference due to smaller stateroom or smaller balcony?

I'm looking for information on comparative sizes of two stern wraparounds on the Noordam: SC5190 and SB7142. I've been in 5190 and I know it is quite large (maybe the latest of all of these wraps). Is 7142 much smaller? If so, is the difference due to smaller stateroom or smaller balcony?

I sent the pictures of my stay in SB 7142 . You can see them on http://www.halfacts.com. Loved that balcony.

Catherine

Our friends were just in 7142 on the Noordam. I know the balcony was large. Don't think they have stayed in 5190 to do a comparison.

Diane

We were the friends that Diane mentioned in her post above. The cabin sizes are basically the same. We have never stayed in 5190 or 5191 because it reminded us of being in a warehouse with the overhang and the poles on the verandah. The deck is quite large, great if you want 20 or so people to visit.

We have also stayed in aft wrap SC6177 on the Noordam, and that deck is not nearly as deep as SB7142. I would say the difference in the deck was at least 4-5 feet deeper. With SC6177, there was about 18-24" between the rail and the end of a lounge chair. There was at least five feet between the rail and the lounge chair on the SB7142 deck.

We also like staying on the Rotterdam Deck because of the Neptune Lounge. We've been in either 7142 or 7151 on all four Vista ships, and it is our favorite.

By the way, 5190 is now SB5190 after the new classification March 21st.

We've been on all of the Vista and Signature class ships, and Noordam is our favorite.

Ken

I was in 4180 on the Noordam. Worse cabin I ever had. At one point in the middle of the night it felt like someone lifted the bed and dropped it. We got very little sleep because of all the vibration and noise. Never again. The verandah was like a wind tunnel.

We were on a back to back and actually thinking of leaving the cruise midway when it returned to Fort Lauderdale and forfeit the money. I went to the GRM and asked if another cabin was available. Luckily there was a no-show and they moved us for the second half of the cruise.

I will never book an aft suite again.

I know there are many who swear by them, but I am not one of them.

Just my two cents.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

This is a photo of the Noordam for you.

7145 is the same as 7142 on the other side.

Same for 5190/5191.

Noordam3_zps498627c8.jpg

Enjoy your cruise.

We were the friends that Diane mentioned in her post above. The cabin sizes are basically the same. We have never stayed in 5190 or 5191 because it reminded us of being in a warehouse with the overhang and the poles on the verandah. The deck is quite large, great if you want 20 or so people to visit.

Ken

The stern on the Noordam is not the same as on other Vista class ships.

The stern on the Noordam is not the same as on other Vista class ships.

You are correct. I forgot about the different stern configuration for the Noordam. I saw 5190 on the Westerdam or Oosterdam.

However, I know the Rotterdam Deck aft wrap verandahs are deeper than the Upper Verandah Deck verandahs. I've also been on a Navigation Deck aft wrap verandah and they seemed the same size as the UV Deck. This is for only the Noordam.

I was in 4180 on the Noordam. Worse cabin I ever had. At one point in the middle of the night it felt like someone lifted the bed and dropped it. We got very little sleep because of all the vibration and noise. Never again. The verandah was like a wind tunnel.

We were on a back to back and actually thinking of leaving the cruise midway when it returned to Fort Lauderdale and forfeit the money. I went to the GRM and asked if another cabin was available. Luckily there was a no-show and they moved us for the second half of the cruise.

I will never book an aft suite again.

I know there are many who swear by them, but I am not one of them.

Just my two cents.

Terri

Terri, was the cruise on the Noordam this year or 2009 that you had vibration problems? We were on the 1/27/14 Noordam cruise in 7142 and felt absolutely no vibration. We also have never felt them in aft wrap cabins on the Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, and Nieuw Amsterdam multiple times.

Terri, was the cruise on the Noordam this year or 2009 that you had vibration problems? We were on the 1/27/14 Noordam cruise in 7142 and felt absolutely no vibration. We also have never felt them in aft wrap cabins on the Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, and Nieuw Amsterdam multiple times.

January 17, 2013 for 21 days. It was really bad. For us to consider forfeiting the money for the second half of the cruise and go home, it had to be bad. We were very lucky there was a no-show in a suite midship and they allowed us to move.

As I said, never again.

Terri

I was in 4180 on the Noordam. Worse cabin I ever had. At one point in the middle of the night it felt like someone lifted the bed and dropped it. We got very little sleep because of all the vibration and noise. Never again. The verandah was like a wind tunnel...

Terri

Re vibration and noise. I wonder how much of this would be due to being on a lower deck (4) and thus closer to the noises generated by the bowels of the ship. Or maybe it was a temporary problem? I did one cruise in 5190 (which is above 4180) and never felt a thing. My last cruise was in 5191 and I definitely felt vibration on and off, though not enough to bother me. As for the verandah being like a wind tunnel, I found that to be the case for the section of balcony on the side of the ship but not for the main section.

Re 7142, the one I am now looking at, has anyone experienced vibration/noise in it?

Re vibration and noise. I wonder how much of this would be due to being on a lower deck (4) and thus closer to the noises generated by the bowels of the ship. Or maybe it was a temporary problem? I did one cruise in 5190 (which is above 4180) and never felt a thing. My last cruise was in 5191 and I definitely felt vibration on and off, though not enough to bother me. As for the verandah being like a wind tunnel, I found that to be the case for the section of balcony on the side of the ship but not for the main section.

Re 7142, the one I am now looking at, has anyone experienced vibration/noise in it?

It might have been because it was deck four, I don't know, but I'll never take that chance with an aft cabin on any level to find out.

Terri

As I mentioned in an earlier post, we were on the Noordam 1/27/14-2/7/14 and felt absolutely no vibration. In fact, we have never felt any vibration on the six times we've had a aft wrap cabin. However, we've only stayed in the three top decks and I've heard the of problems on the lower decks.

We've always stayed mid-ship, but after the first time with the fabulous view on the aft, we haven't gone back. It was a no-brainer for us.

Regarding the "wind tunnel", that's another reason we get the aft wrap cabin. There is hardly any wind back there. When we were on the side of the ship, we sure could feel it. Of course, it also depends which direction the wind is coming from.

Edited by kjw869

Sorry your particular cruise had vibration issues. My partner and I were in 4180 on the Noordam during early December 2012 for 10 days and had no issues with vibration whatsoever. We would very happily book that cabin again - the verandah was huge.

Depending upon sea conditions, ship speed, wind, etc vibration harmonics can set up anywhere, it's ship happens. In my personal experience both Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam have intense vibration harmonics in certain areas of the Tamarind - exactly midship, but high up. But being at the extreme end of the ship you will generally feel more movement than lower decks mid-ship and feel issues with propeller cavitation in certain circumstances.

I do have about 18 cruises under my belt, so I knew what we were in for should sea conditions be less than ideal (i.e. more movement and bumps). So choose your cabin to match your temperament towards motion, but there was nothing systemically wrong with 4180.