Carnival cancels, full refund: Trip Insurance Cost?

LKYGSR

So, if Carnivals cancels your cruise, say they move Freedom to a different home port, and they give you a full refund of your deposit; but, you have already spent a couple hundred bucks on trip insurance from an online agency; do you get stuck eating the cost of the insurance policy for a trip you are no longer taking?

So, if Carnivals cancels your cruise, say they move Freedom to a different home port, and they give you a full refund of your deposit; but, you have already spent a couple hundred bucks on trip insurance from an online agency; do you get stuck eating the cost of the insurance policy for a trip you are no longer taking?

I had asked once when we were thinking of changing dates what could happen and it is up to the insurance company. The one I used through the TA would allow me to move the policy to the new date, I think it was allowed only once and before final payment.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Generally, no. They have been insuring your trip since the day you purchased insurance, regardless of who canceled the trip. However, it does not hurt to ask your insurer for a refund. Just be prepared for "no" to be the answer.

I have travelguard insurance for my November cruise on the Oasis. I had originally booked the Allure for next February with the insurance from Travelguard but canceled the cruise.

Travelguard let me transfer the insurance to the other cruise and since it was cheaper gave me a credit of $26.

I guess it depends on the insurance purchased.

Bill

Because clearly people don't understand how insurance works...

Thong's analogy to a car accident is both wrong and irrelevant. You DO get money back from the insurance company if you're in an accident. That's WHY you pay the premiums...to get money back should an accident happen. But the analogy is irrelevant because the OP probably cannot file a claim.

LKYGSR, the vast majority of travel insurance plans only cover the NON-REFUNDABLE costs. Also, many times travel insurance is secondary. So they will only pay out after you've recouped all you can from everyone else. Check the fine print, the details are there. If not, then consider yourself blessed :D

They may give you back some portion of the premium paid, depending on when you purchased the plan. Or they coud transfer the coverage to a future trip, as others have noted. I hope you can still find a cruise to enjoy!

Edited by psueaz

I have travelguard insurance for my November cruise on the Oasis. I had originally booked the Allure for next February with the insurance from Travelguard but canceled the cruise.

Travelguard let me transfer the insurance to the other cruise and since it was cheaper gave me a credit of $26.

I guess it depends on the insurance purchased.

Bill

This!

We cancelled a 7 day MR Carnival cruise and rebooked on a 10 day MR Princess cruise.

Very easy to change the insurance to the new cruise.

We use Travel Guard.

Many insurers will refund the premium in these types of cases as a customer service gesture -- I had this happen several times as a TA and the insurers (CSA and Travel Guard mostly) were pretty good about it.

The problem is that the request has to come from the selling agent (TA or online source) who must agree to refund the sales commission back to the insurer. Many times that's the problem.

If you used a TA or someone like insuremytrip contact them and explain the situation. As others have noted, the insurer doesn't have to make the refund but if it means keeping the selling agent happy exceptions can be made. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Edited by cruiseco