TruTravel insurance

RoyalC

Just used TruTravel (underwritten by Nationwide). We took the insurance around 10 days before a cruise, in case of something coming up like Noro or anything else.

Person in my party got ill with sudden severe back problems that prevented her from traveling about 5 days before the cruise.

We called 3 days before the cruise to say we had to cancel. They emailed the info to file our claim and we got everything together from doctor's statements/paperwork and receipts (you have to proactively cancel the cruise in advance vs. not showing up).

We faxed the claim in the day of the cruise (sadly) and they cut a check one week later (Friday) which arrived Monday.

This was TruTravel SuperSaver which offers trip protection and good medical for the price ($75k per person no deductable and $250k evacuation).

May I ask what was the cost of your insurance that you placed?

The cost of trip was a little under $1700, 13 days total with driving (they want that included in days of vacation), and total cost for insurance for two was a little over $79.00.

The cost you need to insure is the total "non-refundable" cost of the trip. I was told at the time I applied to state the total cost. It did not matter in the end with them paying but may bring your quote down. Taxes on a cruise are refundable by law, so do not include that in your quote.

You can always go on trutravel's site or insuremytrip and plug in the numbers to get a quote without having to sign up. Remember this includes medical for two, cheaper than regular medical but covers $75k each while on vacation, until you get back home if you need more under your insurance. Most insurance, including Medicare, will not cover overseas trips. YMMV in Canada regarding overseas coverage with medical.

Edited by RoyalC

The cost of trip was a little under $1700, 13 days total with driving (they want that included in days of vacation), and total cost for insurance for two was a little over $79.00.

The cost you need to insure is the total "non-refundable" cost of the trip. I was told at the time I applied to state the total cost. It did not matter in the end with them paying but may bring your quote down. Taxes on a cruise are refundable by law, so do not include that in your quote.

You can always go on trutravel's site or insuremytrip and plug in the numbers to get a quote without having to sign up. Remember this includes medical for two, cheaper than regular medical but covers $75k each while on vacation, until you get back home if you need more under your insurance. Most insurance, including Medicare, will not cover overseas trips. YMMV in Canada regarding overseas coverage with medical.

Secondary medical coverage in the supersaver plan

It says:

Medical expenses base plan to: $75,000 Note: Coverage is secondary. (Secondary coverage will pay claims after any other collectible insurance has paid or had its limits exhausted.)
But under their other "First Class Plan" they say

Medical expenses to: $250,000 primary coverage (expenses incurred during trip)
Edited by canbonbon
typo