Panama on Coral

fatdolly

My first cruise was a repositioning 17 day cruise from Vancouver through the canal on the Coral. We went on the long Embara village tour and we did not encounter many bugs at all-even though we were in the jungle.

Most of the trip we were out on big lake or in a creek-not in the thick underbrush. The village is on a flat open hill above the creek -again not many bugs.

Of course, it rained most of the time we were there-but when it stopped, they bugs did not come out.

I imagine night is the worst time for bugs. During the day it usually too hot for them.

Bug spray is always a good idea, but you should not be bombarded by bugs on the excursions.

We were in Panama in Oct. and Feb. We never had any problems. We had bug spray but never used it. We went to the Indian village in Oct. No problems there.

However on the way to the canal a monster bug flew into our cabin when the balcony door was open. This insect was as big as a small bird. I am not kidding!! There was no way I was going to take care of it. I called the cabin attendant and he killed it after a small fight with it.

We have traveled in the rain forest in Costa Rica and carry Deep Woods off wipes. Individual wipes that do not take up much room. Use them when necessary and then attach the wipe to the back of your hat. This works as long as you do not have a teenage daughter alone:). We be on the Coral in March.

We did the Panama Canal last March on the Island Princess and did not find any problems with bugs at all. We visited the rainforest in Costa Rica where we took the train ride up to the Monte Verde Cloud Forest and walked thro' the forest for around half an hour accompanied by a guide. We did have 100% Deet bug spray with us but it was never used.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

We took a 15 day Panama Canal cruise on the Coral last April. We took bug spray with us, but did not need it in either Panama or Costa Rica. We toured one of the Indian villages in Panama and took a rain forest hike in Costa Rica, and I didn't notice the need for bug spray in either place.

If there had been a bug within 100 miles, it would have found me!

I will be taking the 15 day Panama Canal cruise in May and am wondering if bugs are a problem in the rain forest.Thanks

We did this cruise in October, and I don't remember any bug issues, on board or on excursion.