Booking ship tours - FIJI & NZ

Cruising to Fiji & NZ at the end of the year with RCL. Couple of questions re the ship tours (which I know are pricey)

Looking to do the "Jewels of Fiji" tour in Suva and the "Savala Island" tour in Lautoka. Has anyone done these recently? Do you recommend them? (They both have pretty good reviews on Trip Advisor)

If I book through RCL I will be charged the full cost immediately. So just wondering, when do I need to book? Do these tours book out early? Would also be looking to do a tour in Tauranga NZ to Rotorua (might go private on this one) but if I wanted to book this one through the ship as well would this one be popular or do most people do private tours in NZ?

Cruising to Fiji & NZ at the end of the year with RCL. Couple of questions re the ship tours (which I know are pricey)

Looking to do the "Jewels of Fiji" tour in Suva and the "Savala Island" tour in Lautoka. Has anyone done these recently? Do you recommend them? (They both have pretty good reviews on Trip Advisor)

I loved my day on Savala Island, you can see all my photos by following this link.

http://s1210.photobucket.com/user/pippin9/slideshow/Rapshody%20of%20the%20Seas%20-%20Savala%20Island%20Fiji%20%202010

My friends came back from their cruise, and they decided not to book any tours in advance. For Tauranga, they booked a tour via the Information Centre, and had no issues. However, they did mention that a tour including a trip to Hobbiton was fully booked, but, I'm not sure which one that was.

I guess, if you plan to go with a specific company or a specific itinerary, then, book ahead, just in case. But, my friends did find the shore tours far too expensive, and therefore, booking your own tours made a lot more sense (and better for the hip pocket too!).

I loved my day on Savala Island, you can see all my photos by following this link.

http://s1210.photobucket.com/user/pippin9/slideshow/Rapshody%20of%20the%20Seas%20-%20Savala%20Island%20Fiji%20%202010

Thank you very much for sharing your photos. Looks like you had lovely weather. How long did it take to get out there?

My friends came back from their cruise, and they decided not to book any tours in advance. For Tauranga, they booked a tour via the Information Centre, and had no issues. However, they did mention that a tour including a trip to Hobbiton was fully booked, but, I'm not sure which one that was.

I guess, if you plan to go with a specific company or a specific itinerary, then, book ahead, just in case. But, my friends did find the shore tours far too expensive, and therefore, booking your own tours made a lot more sense (and better for the hip pocket too!).

Thank you. Good to know that there are still private tours available on the day Yes, the ship tours are overpriced but for Fiji, I prefer to go with them for safety sake and in case we are impacted by weather etc.

Thank you very much for sharing your photos. Looks like you had lovely weather. How long did it take to get out there?

Around 1/2 hour. They served tea/coffee and cake (coming and going). We were all looked after so well. Those not confident with snorkling were shepharded around the coral areas and others who were more exprienced went out further to where they hand feed fish etc, there are kayaks to use as well. The bbq lunch was excellent. I really thinK the cost (I booked through RCL - travelled on Rhapsody) was worth every cent. Last November I did the Clipper out to another remote island from Lautoka. That was fantastic. Also booked through RCL.

Around 1/2 hour. They served tea/coffee and cake (coming and going). We were all looked after so well. Those not confident with snorkling were shepharded around the coral areas and others who were more exprienced went out further to where they hand feed fish etc, there are kayaks to use as well. The bbq lunch was excellent. I really thinK the cost (I booked through RCL - travelled on Rhapsody) was worth every cent. Last November I did the Clipper out to another remote island from Lautoka. That was fantastic. Also booked through RCL.

Sounds ideal. We have three island options through RCL and Savala has the best reviews on Trip Advisor. Which island did you visit in November?

Edited by aussielozzie18

Sounds ideal. We have three island options through RCL and Savala has the best reviews on Trip Advisor. Which island did you visit in November?

I went on the Tivua Island Getaway. Even the getting there was fun as you travel on this old clipper ship, they haul up the sails as well as using the motor to get us out to the island in about 40 mins. Morning and afternoon tea is also served on the ship. The island is wonderful.

Tivua would have the edge because of the clipper ship plus the island has a bit more infrastructure plus organised volley ball on the beach etc. It is a brilliant day. I am uploading to photobucket my photos of the day and will put the link here for you to have a look.