DIY walking tour ideas for Tromso

ceba

Did they move the search tool? I thought I read some ideas for walking Tromso. Could someone who has done this give me some better details? Is it possible to walk to the cable car, Polaris, the Article Cathedral, and maybe the brewery in one day?

Tromsø is a very walkable city. My first visit was a cruise port day, and the ship's shuttle let us off near the Hurtigruten pier, near Polaris, and we walked through town (used the Lonely Planet guide to plan a route past some of the more interesting buildings) to the bridge over to the Arctic Cathedral. We covered the bulk of the city center, and it took about 30-40 minutes. After visiting the Arctic Cathedral it was just 10 minutes more to the cable car. We spent about an hour or so hiking higher up the mountain, so we opted to hop a city bus back into town, because we didn't want to miss the Mack brewery tour. After that we made it to Polaris in time for the seal feeding and had plenty of time to visit before heading back to the ship.

I visited again a year ago to try to catch the Northern Lights, and on that trip we walked everywhere. I was disappointed to find out that Mack had moved their operations out of town, so the brewery tour is no longer an option. The brewery pub is still there, though. On that visit we also stopped at the Polar Museum, which was quite good.

Thank you so much! It must have been your review that I read and I really appreciate you rewriting it here for me. This is exactly what I wanted to do. Is the local bus schedule easy to pick up at the pier? Thanks again. This is great!

Thank you so much! It must have been your review that I read and I really appreciate you rewriting it here for me. This is exactly what I wanted to do. Is the local bus schedule easy to pick up at the pier? Thanks again. This is great!

I don't think we had a schedule. I think we just used the buses that were mentioned in the Lonely Planet guide.

However, there's a route map on the Tromsø tourism website:

http://www.visittromso.no/en/Articles/Tromso_useful-info/City-buses/

Hello- I agree that Tromso is easily walkable for most people. Are you a gardener? The Arctic-Alpine garden is not to be missed. Their blue Himalayan poppies were like none I've ever seen, and they have a great general selection of arctic and alpine plants from harsh environments around the world.

Hello- I agree that Tromso is easily walkable for most people. Are you a gardener? The Arctic-Alpine garden is not to be missed. Their blue Himalayan poppies were like none I've ever seen, and they have a great general selection of arctic and alpine plants from harsh environments around the world.

Wonderful! Yes I am bit of a gardener and that sounds lovely. Can you give me an idea what it might be close to?

Wonderful! Yes I am bit of a gardener and that sounds lovely. Can you give me an idea what it might be close to?

It's about 3 km north of the city center, but it's close to where many of the larger cruise ships dock:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Arktisk-alpin+botanisk+hage/@69.6655398,18.9713591,13z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x45c4c5bec71b26f3:0x5745682bd5cffbc6?hl=en

It's about 3 km north of the city center, but it's close to where many of the larger cruise ships dock:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Arktisk-alpin+botanisk+hage/@69.6655398,18.9713591,13z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x45c4c5bec71b26f3:0x5745682bd5cffbc6?hl=en

Thanks!

P.s. I love your disclaimer about the typos! I have the same problem. It's gotten me in trouble a couple of times too. :o

• 3 weeks later...

This garden can be reached directly from the cruise berth whereas the City itself needs the Shuttle. We spent a pleasant morning at the Garden, had lunch on the ship and then took the shuttle in to walk across the bridge to the Arctic Cathedral.

Second on the lonely planet book, great info on everything. I also used whatsinport to get maps and instructions.

Our cruise ship was at the dock near the arctic garden.

I rushed off the boat got the bus near there, there is an unground tunnel to get to the other side of the road.

Wondered around town for a few museums, took the bus to the arctic church and the cablecar. Then walked over the bridge back to the other side; great views but a little scary.

Saw me last museum and then bus back to arctic garden and wandered around there until I rushed back to the boat.