Cannes - Which Beach?

The 4 of Us

I am looking for suggestions on which beach in Cannes might be best for our group of 12 - Plage du Midi or La Croisette. We will have 2 grandparents in their 60's, 2 couples in their 40's and 6 teens all ages 16 - 18. We will be there in July 2014. I know Plage du Midi is the free beach and La Croisette is mostly private and run by hotels or others and that you can pay a day rate to access those private beaches.

Plage du Midi - can you rent chairs or umbrellas here? Is it cheaper than paying the day rate at one of the hotels? Any close food options? Restroom facilities?

La Croisette - how do you get a day rate? Do you just go to the front desk of one of the hotels on arrival and ask for day rate? Do you book it before arriving? If so, how? I heard the day rates are around 25 Euros per person. Is that correct? Any suggestions on which hotels are good?

Besides cost, are there any other pros and cons of each option for our group?

Thanks!

So many good questions, but we do not all the answers. Regarding chair rentals at Plage du Midi (my go to beach in Cannes) you will just have to wait and see when you get there since things are always changing. That beach is very close to the tender pier (no more then a 10 min stroll) so its easy to check it out before you make any decisions. There are numerous decent cafes and restaurants that line the Marina (very close to that beach) where you can enjoy a nice lunch outdoors (or inside). There are even places with pizza..which always seem to make kids (and many adults) smile. I do not recall if there are convenient public restrooms (there used to be some at the tender pier) but DW prefers clean rest rooms so are norm is to stop at a café, order a cool drink, and use the clean facilities.

La Croisette - There are multiple pay facilities along this strip of beach and they charge varying rates for varying facilities. Most of the time they will have a large sign with their rates (by the hour or daily) and if not, you just stop and ask. Since July is high season the rates will be at their max. A bit off season, when things are not busy, one can sometimes negotiate a lower rate. 25 Euros for a single chair would not be surprising at some of these places. You are along a stretch of beach with the most expensive hotels in town...and the beach prices reflect that fact. I think the area closer to the Exposition Hall/Convention center is a bit cheaper..but things do always change.

My advice, if you want a beach day, is get off the ship pretty early (by 10) and just stroll around (enjoying the area) and look at all the options. Once you have spent an hour walking and comparing things your family will probably have decided on what looks best for your crowd.

As to pros and cons, the eating venues near the Marina (and Plage du Midi) are usually going to be somewhat cheaper then the eating venues near the expensive hotels. So before you actually make your choice and sit on a beach..also be looking at prices and eating options nearby. For us, scoping it all out is part of the fun.

Hank