Married But Solo Traveler--Others?

irelandie

I am a married man who cruises solo because my wife does not prefer to travel. I am sure there are other men and women out there that are in the same boat (pun::) ) that would like to meet and share a cruise together as friends with common interests.

Would appreciate recommendations as to how to accomplish that before booking and going pot luck on a cruise.

One way of doing this is to take a look at Cruise Critic group cruises. Each group has a message board forum. You could post on this and get to know other cruisers. Then you could decide whether to book.

Going on a Cruise Critic group cruise means that you get group rates and amenities, but you don't have to participate in group activities unless you want to do so. However, participating with the group is a good way of meeting people and having fun.

Some Cruise Critic groups have a lot of activities and some don't plan many, if any. Our August 19, 2006 Caribbean Princess group cruise is just getting started. I am going to let the group decide how much/what type of activities they want, although we will have at least a sailaway party and a meet and mingle.

You would certainly be welcome to post on our group forum and get to know people and then decide whether to book. I also have a roll call started. The only problem is if you wait too long, certain staterooms will be booked and not available. For example, the balcony category cabins that have the largest balconies tend to go first. I hope my explanation about the CC groups hasn't been confusing. Please let me know if I can provide any additional information regarding this.

I love to cruise, but my husband reluctantly goes with me. And even then he won't dance with me. And he HATES formal night. I have cruised to Canada with my mom, and on a Disney cruise with my 8 year niece. They are fun to be with. I would love to cruise on that new Queen ship 2 (Mary or Elisabeth, I forget). I would love to do Hawaii, the Panama Canal and a 7 day Disney Cruise.

Well, we are on our way to our Alaska trip on the Norwegian Sun. They have the most flexibility, and that was the only way I could get DH to go. (I almost wish I could leave him home now).

So, if you guys and gals want to plan a singles cruise, great, let me know. As long as I don't have to pay for 2 people for just me in the cabin.

I can't do the October cruise, sorry. Going to Alaska in 2 weeks, so I am all out of vacation this year. Next year I believe I am going to Italy with my cousins.

But, please keep me in mind for the next singles cruise. My husband asked if I could do the Alaska cruise as a single. As if I am making him do something horrible, like seeing beautiful sights, and enjoying himself. sheeessh.

What is it like to be married and yet cruising alone? Is it fun? Right now, I am so mad at my DH that I am wishing my next cruise was alone.

My friend says that married people who cruise without their mates are looking for more than a nice trip....if you catch the drift. I say "Nah". I would just be happy to have somebody to dance with, even with my hubby there, since he won't dance. Is there a way to ask a guy that you don't know to dance? Where is the captain when you need him?? Where is Julie the cruise director from the Love Boat?

I was also wondering if men traveling alone get cheaper rates? Are there men on cruise ships that get paid to dance with the women? Like in that movie with Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon. I would have danced with them.

Also, my older brother who is single, said he would go on a cruise with me. But what do you do with cabin arrangements? I don't want to share a cabin with him, and vice versa. I guess you have to pay extra, or find a roommate?

I always have cruising on my mind!

We've met several women who were married and cruising without their spouses. Most were traveling with girl friends or their chldren. It is not that uncommon, especially with a spouses work schedule or reluctance to go on a cruise and is perfectly respectable.

I've cruised with my brother, who is single. We get a large cabin, like a minisuite. These have a dressing area with a curtain and the bathroom is large too. This gives plenty of room for privacy. The balcony provides some additional privacy too. The beds in most staterooms can be made up in a twin or a double bed configuration and we just have the beds in a twin configuration. We also dance together at some of the lounges, as we both like to dance. In addition, he dances with other lady friends we meet on the ship, who are single or unaccompanied. I've met other women who were cruising with their brothers, so this is not that uncommon.

Except for certain cruise lines, there are no more gentleman hosts. And for those few that offer a gentleman hosts, it is only on the longer cruises.

My brother and I are cruising on the August 19, 2006 Cruise Critic Caribbean Princess group cruise. If you join the group cruising with your brother, then you can dance with my brother and I'll dance with yours. :)

Wow. What a small world! I will definitely consider the August 2006 cruise with my brother. We are planning a trip to Italy with our cousins, that may interfere with the cruise. But it sounds like a wonderful idea. I can't believe you are in the same boat (excuse the pun) as me!! I am 45, and my brother is 55.

Thanks for the reply.

"Are there men on cruise ships that get paid to dance with the women? Like in that movie with Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon. I would have danced with them."

Most cruise lines employ Gentlemen Hosts to dance with the single ladies. They usually wear blue jackets with a ship name tag. I used to email with a man in the UK that was one of those. He got to do a lot of cruising for almost nothing.

http://www.theworkingvacation.com/

http://www.toseawithz.com/dance_hosts.htm

• 1 month later...

i have been on 9 cruises in the past 2 years, he has come with 3x. Whoever says I'm "looking" for something is down right nasty. He enjoys his vacations up north with his family..i enjoy mine alone on a cruise ship

We vacation together as a family every Christmas, and seperately several times throuout the year. It works for us and our children..they chose where they want to go. Believe it or not, they like doing the northern route...

Katie

Ps We just celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary on a cruise

Often, we women that cruise solo do it for security.

I could go to a hotel, have a great relaxing time, enjoy eating by myself but then I worry about getting from hotel to dinner, shopping, etc.. What if I went missing , would anyone notice? :eek: What about dancing, (love to),:D not safe in big city nightclub alone..:( even if you live there and know the area. I live in DFW and enjoy going out...feel so much better on a cruise that here at home downtown alone.

Love to chat with others, couples, singles, crew...and funny..., those kids screaming or running around the deck don't bother me..:rolleyes: .. they are not mine.. I left them at home!!!!:p

I tell anyone to go for it...single, solo , married or not... get out there and enjoy.

We've gotten a special promotion for the Cruise Critic group cruise I mentioned in earlier posts: Book the the August 19, 2006 Caribbean Princess Cruise Critic group cruise by Sept. 30 for only a $100 pp deposit!!! In addition to great group pricing you also get $25 per person shipboard credit and other amenities!! Plus, those booking by Sept. 30 will also receive a Princess coupon book!!!

We will have a sailaway party and a meet and mingle and there will be an opportunity to share shore excursions! However, there is no requirement to do anything with the group if you just want to take advantage of the pricing and amenties--its ok! Thre is also no group dining--you eat when you want. You can do as little or as much as you want with the group.

The Caribbean Princess is the only seven day cruise Princess is offering in the Caribbean next summer and HAL and Celebrity aren't positioning any ships in the Caribbean next summer. So availability for the Caribbean next summer is going to be much more limited than this year and you should book early, especially if you want one of the more desirable cabins.

For more information, click on the links below or email me at kacruiser@ev1.net..

I am going an a Panama Canal cruise in Dec 06 with a small group of singles. I thought you might be interested to know that some are in the same position as you i.e. have a spouse who does not want to travel. There are usually 4 male dance hosts on board and everyone in the group has a single cabin without a huge surcharge. If you'd like to know more I can email you details. Happy sailing.

"everyone in the group has a single cabin without a huge surcharge. If you'd like to know more I can email you details."

I was (am?) interested in the April 22 Panama Canal but as a solo .. the price is way too high for a simple outside cabin. What's the secret?

Thanks

Enjoy your cruise.

Due to Katrina, I have USAir flight that must be used within USA (otherwise I'd book it for Aruba) and within the year so my thought is/was Ft Lauderdale or Miami & a cruise in place of the original October week in NOLA. That puts Dec 2006 beyond the "window" -- however I am very much interested in how you managed to avoid the 200% single surcharge. It's MSmart06492@yahoo.com if you don't mind sharing the info.

Thanks again.

Princess doesn't always require a 200% surcharge. It depends on the cruise and sometimes agreements that they have with a group. For example, on our August 19, 2006 Caribbean Princess Cruise Critic group cruise, the surcharge is only 150%.

Unfortunately as far as I know they don't advertise these--the only way you can find out is getting the pricing on the specific sailing for which you are interested and finding out what the single supplement is for that sailing.

Archived