Flam Train (Norway)

Alicomp

Has anyone done the cruise excursion where you take the train up and walk partway down and then board the train for the last 15 minutes of the trip? If so, do you recommend that over doing the complete round trip on the train? Thank you.

I did the train up, walk back option last year, and would thoroughly recommend it. While we enjoyed the train ride, the walk was the highlight for us - the scenary was stunning. Its a pretty easy walk, downhill apart from 1 very short section and the pace is very leisurely. We were blessed with lovely weather, which made a difference but as long as you are well prepared for any rain, I would still take this option.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Forums mobile app

Has anyone done the cruise excursion where you take the train up and walk partway down and then board the train for the last 15 minutes of the trip? If so, do you recommend that over doing the complete round trip on the train? Thank you.

We did not do the walk back as we only had a half day in Flam. Later, we sailed to a nearby, great fjord town of Gudvangen. BUT, here are a couple of cautions, factors to consider in your planning for Flam. Much will depend on the weather for that day. Hopefully, like us, you'll have a great weather day. But, consider what works if you get rain or other challenges. Second, the number of cruise ships in port that day can also affect your planning, experience. There are times when three or four ships could hit Flam on the same day. Or, maybe you'll be lucky with just your ship there.

Below is a little more on Flam, some of my pictures to help build up the excitement for this great area, etc. More for other ports on the full live/blog connected below.

Flam, with a population of about 500, is nestled in a tributary of the world's longest and deepest fjord. It is 128 miles long and has a maximum depth of 4,291 feet. On the question of how deep are these fjords, local say: “A mermaid could swim all the way to China.” The chief attraction here is the 74-year-old Flam Railway. It includes twenty tunnels and eight stops as it goes up the mountain. This rail lines rises from Flam’s gingerbread rail station going up 2,835 feet to Myrdal and this "Roof of Norway" rail station. In 2010, this railway was chosen as one of the top ten most beautiful train journeys in Europe by National Geographic Traveler Magazine. In 2012, there was a new passenger record of 635,368 riders carried. That is a big jump up in ridership from 475K in 2005 and 380K in 1994.

Railroad website with more history and technical details for its construction, operations: http://www.flaamsbana.no/eng.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now over 134,809 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here are a few highlights from the Flam train ride, including where you stop in a stone tunnel to get out and then see this dramatic 305-foot-high Kjosfossen Waterfall half-way on this 12.4 mile trip. We then exit the train at the Vatnahalsen Hotel, to see the grounds, nearby mountains, etc. Here is also the view at the hotel deck of the nearby mountains. Lots of great views on this routing, up and down. :

FjordTrainWaterfall.jpg

FjordsTrainViews2.jpg

FlamTrain2Tunnel.jpg

FlamHotelDeckMount.jpg

We did not do the walk back as we only had a half day in Flam. Later, we sailed to a nearby, great fjord town of Gudvangen. BUT, here are a couple of cautions, factors to consider in your planning for Flam. Much will depend on the weather for that day. Hopefully, like us, you'll have a great weather day. But, consider what works if you get rain or other challenges. Second, the number of cruise ships in port that day can also affect your planning, experience. There are times when three or four ships could hit Flam on the same day. Or, maybe you'll be lucky with just your ship there.

Below is a little more on Flam, some of my pictures to help build up the excitement for this great area, etc. More for other ports on the full live/blog connected below.

Flam, with a population of about 500, is nestled in a tributary of the world's longest and deepest fjord. It is 128 miles long and has a maximum depth of 4,291 feet. On the question of how deep are these fjords, local say: “A mermaid could swim all the way to China.” The chief attraction here is the 74-year-old Flam Railway. It includes twenty tunnels and eight stops as it goes up the mountain. This rail lines rises from Flam’s gingerbread rail station going up 2,835 feet to Myrdal and this "Roof of Norway" rail station. In 2010, this railway was chosen as one of the top ten most beautiful train journeys in Europe by National Geographic Traveler Magazine. In 2012, there was a new passenger record of 635,368 riders carried. That is a big jump up in ridership from 475K in 2005 and 380K in 1994.

Railroad website with more history and technical details for its construction, operations: http://www.flaamsbana.no/eng.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now over 134,809 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here are a few highlights from the Flam train ride, including where you stop in a stone tunnel to get out and then see this dramatic 305-foot-high Kjosfossen Waterfall half-way on this 12.4 mile trip. We then exit the train at the Vatnahalsen Hotel, to see the grounds, nearby mountains, etc. Here is also the view at the hotel deck of the nearby mountains. Lots of great views on this routing, up and down. :

FjordTrainWaterfall.jpg

FjordsTrainViews2.jpg

FlamTrain2Tunnel.jpg

FlamHotelDeckMount.jpg

Thanks for the magnificent pictures. We'll be in Flam in May and definitely the train is a must. Want to do some hiking, too.

I did the train up, walk back option last year, and would thoroughly recommend it. While we enjoyed the train ride, the walk was the highlight for us - the scenary was stunning. Its a pretty easy walk, downhill apart from 1 very short section and the pace is very leisurely. We were blessed with lovely weather, which made a difference but as long as you are well prepared for any rain, I would still take this option.

Did you walk all the way from the top or get off at one of the stops on the way down?

Did you have to pay for the full round trip ticket to do this?

Thanks for the magnificent pictures. We'll be in Flam in May and definitely the train is a must. Want to do some hiking, too.

Appreciate your nice, kind comments. Just one key suggestion that had been earlier noted. That's the weather. May is more risky and uncertain for ideal weather. Consider your options and have a "back-up" plan "B" in the event that things are cold and/or rainy. When in May are you going to be there?

Just back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at over 39,000 views for this fun posting.

Appreciate your nice, kind comments. Just one key suggestion that had been earlier noted. That's the weather. May is more risky and uncertain for ideal weather. Consider your options and have a "back-up" plan "B" in the event that things are cold and/or rainy. When in May are you going to be there?

Just back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at over 39,000 views for this fun posting.

Hi, Terry,

We'll be in Flam on May 19th and I'll be doing a sun dance hoping for blue skies but will definitely have Plan B. Most of the photos and videos, alas, show clouds and rain. I'm off to start reading about your adventures in Australia. We loved Australia.

Did you walk all the way from the top or get off at one of the stops on the way down?

I found the answer to this online...

The Flåm Railway stop on request at 8 stops if passangers like to leave or enter the train to walk part of the valley. Myrdal/Vatnahalsen-area is an easy walk and you enter a later train at Vatnahalsen down to Flåm. From Myrdal/Vatnahalsen there is a marked track all the way down to Flåm (5 hours) or walk to Berekvam (2-2,5 hours) and take the train to Flåm. You might also take a bike on the train from Flåm to Myrdal and bike back to Flåm (appr. 2 hours)

So in theory, if one wanted to walk all the way back from Myrdal (20 Kms, 5 hours), they could purchase a one way ticket, saving 100 NOK.

We did this as an excursion through Celebrity. You get off more or less at the top (might be one stop from last) and walk about half way down, then get back on the train for the second half of the return. The train up, walk down excursion was more pricey than the round trip. Not sure how you would arrange this independently. It was in early July that we took thr trip.

We did this as an excursion through Celebrity. You get off more or less at the top (might be one stop from last) and walk about half way down, then get back on the train for the second half of the return. The train up, walk down excursion was more pricey than the round trip. Not sure how you would arrange this independently. It was in early July that we took thr trip.

I was just planning to take the one way train and walk back. Were the trails back to Flam relatively well marked?

Yes it would be really easy to follow. Have a wonderful trip!

Awesome. Thanks. One way train is $50 (return is $67) but the tour you described is $125. I'm willing to walk the 20 Km (12 miles) back to save the $75!

I found the answer to this online...

The Flåm Railway stop on request at 8 stops if passangers like to leave or enter the train to walk part of the valley. Myrdal/Vatnahalsen-area is an easy walk and you enter a later train at Vatnahalsen down to Flåm. From Myrdal/Vatnahalsen there is a marked track all the way down to Flåm (5 hours) or walk to Berekvam (2-2,5 hours) and take the train to Flåm. You might also take a bike on the train from Flåm to Myrdal and bike back to Flåm (appr. 2 hours)

So in theory, if one wanted to walk all the way back from Myrdal (20 Kms, 5 hours), they could purchase a one way ticket, saving 100 NOK.

http://www.visitflam.com/upload/Flam-Railway-Timetables-15.-December-2013---14.-June-2014.pdf

Hope this helps, Karen

Hi, Terry, We'll be in Flam on May 19th and I'll be doing a sun dance hoping for blue skies but will definitely have Plan B. Most of the photos and videos, alas, show clouds and rain. I'm off to start reading about your adventures in Australia. We loved Australia.

Appreciate your follow-up and good luck with your May 19 visit to Flam. From http://www.wunderground.com

they show the weather history on that day for Flam to be:

For May 19, 2013, it was a high of 77 °F and a low of 59 °F. Kind of warm, no rain last year on that date. On average for this specific date, the high is 60°F and a low of 48°F. For recent history, last year's high of 77 °F was a record. The recent history low as 33°F in 2008.

Glad that you smartly love Australia. Nice areas there, plus so much to love in New Zealand. That live-blog posting is now approaching 40,000 views.

Great added postings and sharing by Karen and other on this thread. The Flam rail trip is a wonderfully interesting experience. Hope all enjoy nice weather as we had.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 163,226 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Thank you, Terry in Ohio, for your time and generosity in sharing your photos and discoveries with others. I'm an extremely visual type and your photos add a brand new dimension to your trips.

Thank you, Terry in Ohio, for your time and generosity in sharing your photos and discoveries with others. I'm an extremely visual type and your photos add a brand new dimension to your trips.

Appreciate your nice follow-up, comments and encouragement.

Yes, visuals are important. The picture postings have been great fun in sharing. Visuals are very powerful and sometimes what people remember most. That's why this thing called television has done fairly well in our society. I like the Eyewitness and Insight travel books because of their great variety of good visuals. The old saying "A picture is worth a thousand words" incorporates the idea that a complex messages can be conveyed with just a single or a few still images. People are four times more likely to remember what they BOTH see and hear. Studies also show that those younger tend to be more visually-oriented.

Good luck for your upcoming trip and adventure! Let us know any other questions.

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at over 39,675 views for this fun posting.