Random Wind Excursion

robhawk

We will be on the Disney Fantasy next February stopping in Saint Maartan.

We have never been. The Random Wind sailing day looks pretty good!

Any input from anyone that has done this sail?

Lots of great reviews on TripAdvisor, I could not find anything here ether.

I am going with them in a few weeks, will report back.

So far, communication has been timely, friendly, and professional, I am really looking forward to it.

Because of the winds in St Martin the big cats rarely sail, only motor. This promises to be a true sailing day

Great Time,we have been on her twice going again in May for the 3rd time,1st time we heard about her by word of mouth, 2nd time we chartered the whole boat for our family cruise, 19 of us ages 2-80 all had a great time.Great food, drinks, floats,snorkeling,Tarzan Trapeze, Diane the owner takes photos from the water and on board then posts them on her web site for you.Check out there web site and Trip advisor.

• 3 weeks later...

Reporting back..

The trip was excellent, even tho owner Diane was out of town.

I was traveling alone this time, and the other passengers were 2 couples who were spending the week in St Martin, and 2 separate family groups from the Disney ship in port with us. 20, which is the max they take.

We (adults) initially dreaded seeing the kids on board, but with the exception of a very young toddler who fussed and screamed until she went to sleep, the other kids were quiet and well behaved, and seemed to enjoy the trip. The first mate had made them a special lunch - mac and cheese rather than the adult chicken dish with sides that we had.

When we stopped for the swing, the Captain (brain cramp on his name, but he was a wonderful crusty old guy) helped everybody, but I watched, and he was especially caring and fun with the little ones. They all trusted him, and he coaxed the shy ones to try without pushing them. Very safety oriented.

We had an over cast day, but it did not spoil the fun, and no doubt kept us from frying in the sun.

Do not hesitate to book this. Service all around is first rate, and they did a great job of making everyone feel welcome. I'll book again next time I am there.

NOTE: Diane told me to allow 30 minutes for the cab ride, it was a bit less, but it was early, and only 4 ships in port. Upon return, ask them to call you a cab, and it will be waiting at SkipJacks to take you back (you have to tender out a bit to get to Random Wind).

They were very conscientious about getting back to port in plenty of time.

Enjoy!

• 1 month later...

Random Wind excursion was our best day in the Caribbean. My neighbor, who is very pick about everything, recommended Diane. We could not have been more pleased. They were on time meeting us, Diane, Eli and Trevor were really fun. Lunch was great, mud bath on the beach was awesome, Tarzan swing had everyone laughing and cheering. Most of the folks had been on this boat before, and I think that says something. Repeat customers is always a good sign.

Don't hesitate to book this adventure.

Random Wind excursion was our best day in the Caribbean. My neighbor, who is very pick about everything, recommended Diane. We could not have been more pleased. They were on time meeting us, Diane, Eli and Trevor were really fun. Lunch was great, mud bath on the beach was awesome, Tarzan swing had everyone laughing and cheering. Most of the folks had been on this boat before, and I think that says something. Repeat customers is always a good sign.

Don't hesitate to book this adventure.

Reporting back..

The trip was excellent, even tho owner Diane was out of town.

I was traveling alone this time, and the other passengers were 2 couples who were spending the week in St Martin, and 2 separate family groups from the Disney ship in port with us. 20, which is the max they take.

We (adults) initially dreaded seeing the kids on board, but with the exception of a very young toddler who fussed and screamed until she went to sleep, the other kids were quiet and well behaved, and seemed to enjoy the trip. The first mate had made them a special lunch - mac and cheese rather than the adult chicken dish with sides that we had.

When we stopped for the swing, the Captain (brain cramp on his name, but he was a wonderful crusty old guy) helped everybody, but I watched, and he was especially caring and fun with the little ones. They all trusted him, and he coaxed the shy ones to try without pushing them. Very safety oriented.

We had an over cast day, but it did not spoil the fun, and no doubt kept us from frying in the sun.

Do not hesitate to book this. Service all around is first rate, and they did a great job of making everyone feel welcome. I'll book again next time I am there.

NOTE: Diane told me to allow 30 minutes for the cab ride, it was a bit less, but it was early, and only 4 ships in port. Upon return, ask them to call you a cab, and it will be waiting at SkipJacks to take you back (you have to tender out a bit to get to Random Wind).

They were very conscientious about getting back to port in plenty of time.

Enjoy!

EXCELLENT!

A friend told me Random Wind was a "must do" in St. Maarten; so last week I booked with them for next January. (I didn't want them to fill up while I pondered!!!).

Thanks ockelly & EatonDoolittle for the recent reviews. I'm even more excited now!

EatonDoolittle; we should ask them on the sail back to call a taxi for us??

Thanks!

Kelane

Kelane, you'll have a blast.

They monitor your needs pretty closely, but yes, it wouldn't hurt to remind them as you head back that you would like a cab waiting to go back to the ship. I did not think of it till we were almost back, but I was able to hitch a ride back with the family from the other ship.

They have neat t-shirts you can get, $10 for tanks and $15 for long sleeve. I'm a sucker for those soovies from sailing trips, love wearing them back at home for a reminder.

Another nice thing is the free photos they take and post online. I took a sail/snorkle trip in Bonaire that was first class, they had a professional underwater photographer taking pix of us. However, the CD was $25.

You can check Random Wind pix out on their web site. Nothing fancy, but a fun reminder of your day.

Kelane, you'll have a blast.

They monitor your needs pretty closely, but yes, it wouldn't hurt to remind them as you head back that you would like a cab waiting to go back to the ship. I did not think of it till we were almost back, but I was able to hitch a ride back with the family from the other ship.

They have neat t-shirts you can get, $10 for tanks and $15 for long sleeve. I'm a sucker for those soovies from sailing trips, love wearing them back at home for a reminder.

Another nice thing is the free photos they take and post online. I took a sail/snorkle trip in Bonaire that was first class, they had a professional underwater photographer taking pix of us. However, the CD was $25.

You can check Random Wind pix out on their web site. Nothing fancy, but a fun reminder of your day.

Thanks!

I agree; the only thing better than sporting a great tan in Tennessee in January is rubbing it in with a cool shirt showing just how/where I got that tan! ;)

I liked the idea of pictures of your day posted on their site "for free". Not a fan of folks seeing me in all my wet glory :eek:; but would like the opportunity to have a picture if there is a great one. :)

Thanks again...the cab to/from was a concern of mine; but now I'm good to go!

We are 60ish and want to try this but have concerns on my spouses ability to transfer from dock to dinghy and dinghy to boat. Can anyone who has taken this trip comment on ease of access?

We are 60ish and want to try this but have concerns on my spouses ability to transfer from dock to dinghy and dinghy to boat. Can anyone who has taken this trip comment on ease of access?

We've been on the R.W. four times. Diane the owner has a extended ladder that goes below the water line easy off and on while in the water. Boarding the dingy was no problem it is tied and held tightly to the R.M or the dock, you hand all your belongings to the mate so your hands are free, you are helped on and off. We are in our mid 60's, we also did the Trazan swing. If you go say hello to Diane from Nick in Chicago, we'll be back in July & Dec 2015.

I have booked Random Wind as well on an upcoming cuise (Freedom 6/29). Diane stated that we get picked up at Simpson Bay, does anyone know how long it takes to get from Great Bay (cuise port) to Simpson Bay? Should we take a taxi and do they have posted costs from there to get to Simpson Bay?

I have booked Random Wind as well on an upcoming cuise (Freedom 6/29). Diane stated that we get picked up at Simpson Bay, does anyone know how long it takes to get from Great Bay (cuise port) to Simpson Bay? Should we take a taxi and do they have posted costs from there to get to Simpson Bay?

See my post # 5..any taxi driver at the port will take you, probably fill the cab with people going on to Maho Bay, and drop you on the way. Just tell him SkipJacks in Simpson bay, he will know.

I'm thinking maybe $10...not much.

Eaton, thanks for the response. We have 8 people going, so should fill up one of the bigger vans with us. It isn't $10 per person, probably $30 for the whole group?

I cannot say for sure what the total will be, but I seriously doubt they will hit you 10 per person.

They are fairly regulated, so either way, you won't get cheated.

Have a great day on the Random Wind

• 8 months later...

Excited to see all of the good reviews. I just booked with them for April. This will be my first sailing experience. Diane has been super prompt answering my email questions. They must email from the water! lol

Anyone have pics and reviews in their trip reports? Most of the You Tube videos just show the swing. I'd like to read and see more about the rest. :D

• 2 months later...
Excited to see all of the good reviews. I just booked with them for April. This will be my first sailing experience. Diane has been super prompt answering my email questions. They must email from the water! lol

Anyone have pics and reviews in their trip reports? Most of the You Tube videos just show the swing. I'd like to read and see more about the rest. :D

Their website has plenty of pics. We're hitting St Maarten in June and Random Wind is working on putting something together for our cruise group (we're there 1PM to 8PM, not their usual times).

For anyone interested in them, communication back and forth has been great, and they work to make the excursion everything you want it to be.

• 1 month later...

We are thinking of the Random Wind with our family group of 14 (8 adults and 6 kids). We are on the Oasis and this cruise is to celebrate my husband's 70th birthday.

I am just wondering how to get that many people back and forth to the cruise ship. The email I got from Di says a 7-10 minute walk or a quick water taxi. The idea of finding regular taxis for 14 people both ways seems like too much stress.

Does the walk or the water taxi make sense? Is it really just a 7-10 minute walk? How far is the walk to the water taxi from the ship, and then how far from the water taxi to where they said they will meet us in Phillipsburg?

Thanks for your help.

What you do is take the water taxi which is I believe $10 round trip or walk to where the taxi stands are. There are many posts in the st marten thread that will tell you where to go for taxis. Then you take a taxi to skipjacks in simpson bay which is about 20 to 30 minutes from phillipsburg. We are doing the same trip in November and cannot wait. If you have any questions, Diane is wonderful in answering and explaining anything; plus the website is very informative. We are a family of six doing it. I think you should be ok getting 2 taxis. Just make sure you have them ready for you when you guys get back off of the excursion.

Edited by jean87510

We are thinking of the Random Wind with our family group of 14 (8 adults and 6 kids). We are on the Oasis and this cruise is to celebrate my husband's 70th birthday.

I am just wondering how to get that many people back and forth to the cruise ship. The email I got from Di says a 7-10 minute walk or a quick water taxi. The idea of finding regular taxis for 14 people both ways seems like too much stress.

Does the walk or the water taxi make sense? Is it really just a 7-10 minute walk? How far is the walk to the water taxi from the ship, and then how far from the water taxi to where they said they will meet us in Phillipsburg?

Thanks for your help.

I'm a bit confused by your question, on a couple points.

There's no reason to take the Water Taxi at all if you just want to catch a land taxi. The Water Taxi only goes to downtown Philipsburg, and Taxi Dispatch is right at the Cruise Facility (perhaps that is the 7-10 minute walk?).

The Random Wind normally sails out of Simpson Bay, with a meet-up at SkipJack's, which is probably 30 minutes by taxi. By the way, taxi rates list prices for up to 14 passengers, so you would be ok in one.

But then you said that they will meet you in Philipsburg.

Is this perhaps a private charter?

Could you provide the relevant part of the e-mail that you received? Perhaps more context would help.

gary

Eaton, thanks for the response. We have 8 people going, so should fill up one of the bigger vans with us. It isn't $10 per person, probably $30 for the whole group?

The vans hold up to 14, so no problem.

The posted rate to that area is $8 per person, but there is a rate chart that I read as should cost you $45. That's $15 for the first two, then $5 for each additional passenger.

gary

thank you Gary. I have to go back in and look for your taxi rates picture :D We took a bus last year to simpson bay without difficulty but this year it may be the cab. I did not realize the taxis could take up to that many. We have 6 with us this time. I am doing the same excursion and they do not pick up in phillipsburg.

We are doing a private charter for our party of 14. This is part of the email we received:

Thanks! We are available for your private charter on the 15th of July. A private charter for 14 is $1,960. We can pick you up in Philipsburg but not directly on the cruise ship pier as no other boats are allowed there. We can meet you a 7-10 minute walk or a quick water taxi ride away. Let me know if you'd like to book and I will send the deposit info. Thanks and cheers! Di

wow, that's great! Probably because it is private with no hotel guests coming, is why they are willing to go into phillipsburg. I only wish ours was as simple!! Have fun and congratulations.

Edited by jean87510