Random Wind Excursion

robhawk

We are doing a private charter for our party of 14. This is part of the email we received:

Thanks! We are available for your private charter on the 15th of July. A private charter for 14 is $1,960. We can pick you up in Philipsburg but not directly on the cruise ship pier as no other boats are allowed there. We can meet you a 7-10 minute walk or a quick water taxi ride away. Let me know if you'd like to book and I will send the deposit info. Thanks and cheers! Di

OK, that makes sense now. :)

Since they mention the Water Taxi, and they'll have the Random Wind there, they are most probably docking at Bobby's Marina, which is one of the Water Taxi stops.

The Water Taxi also has a stop downtown Philipsburg, so make sure you don't get off there. Bobby's will PROBABLY be the second stop, but that's not guaranteed. Water Taxi is $7 all day or $5 one way.

Alternatively, you could probably walk there easily, though I would estimate a bit more than their 7-10 minutes, especially timing from the ship, as it is quite a hike just to get out to the main gate.

gary

• 1 month later...
Reporting back..

The trip was excellent, even tho owner Diane was out of town.

I was traveling alone this time, and the other passengers were 2 couples who were spending the week in St Martin, and 2 separate family groups from the Disney ship in port with us. 20, which is the max they take.

We (adults) initially dreaded seeing the kids on board, but with the exception of a very young toddler who fussed and screamed until she went to sleep, the other kids were quiet and well behaved, and seemed to enjoy the trip. The first mate had made them a special lunch - mac and cheese rather than the adult chicken dish with sides that we had.

When we stopped for the swing, the Captain (brain cramp on his name, but he was a wonderful crusty old guy) helped everybody, but I watched, and he was especially caring and fun with the little ones. They all trusted him, and he coaxed the shy ones to try without pushing them. Very safety oriented.

We had an over cast day, but it did not spoil the fun, and no doubt kept us from frying in the sun.

Do not hesitate to book this. Service all around is first rate, and they did a great job of making everyone feel welcome. I'll book again next time I am there.

NOTE: Diane told me to allow 30 minutes for the cab ride, it was a bit less, but it was early, and only 4 ships in port. Upon return, ask them to call you a cab, and it will be waiting at SkipJacks to take you back (you have to tender out a bit to get to Random Wind).

They were very conscientious about getting back to port in plenty of time.

Enjoy!

Kelane, you'll have a blast.

They monitor your needs pretty closely, but yes, it wouldn't hurt to remind them as you head back that you would like a cab waiting to go back to the ship. I did not think of it till we were almost back, but I was able to hitch a ride back with the family from the other ship.

They have neat t-shirts you can get, $10 for tanks and $15 for long sleeve. I'm a sucker for those soovies from sailing trips, love wearing them back at home for a reminder.

Another nice thing is the free photos they take and post online. I took a sail/snorkle trip in Bonaire that was first class, they had a professional underwater photographer taking pix of us. However, the CD was $25.

You can check Random Wind pix out on their web site. Nothing fancy, but a fun reminder of your day.

I am about to book this excursion after reading all the good things. One question though...since this is a boat and not a catamaran will we be more likely to feel the motion on the water? We've never had a problem on a cat but I'm afraid that seasickness might be more likely on a sailboat. Can you tell we are not boat people??

I am about to book this excursion after reading all the good things. One question though...since this is a boat and not a catamaran will we be more likely to feel the motion on the water? We've never had a problem on a cat but I'm afraid that seasickness might be more likely on a sailboat. Can you tell we are not boat people??

From the FAQ section of Random wind website:

What about sea sickness? Random Wind is 40,000 pounds and moves through the ocean quite nicely. If the seas are rough - we will reschedule. If you have a tendency, please take something ahead of time. I also have remedies on board; however it is rare that it is needed. We do not offer refunds for seasickness. If you have severe motion sickness, perhaps boats are not for you. Hangovers and boats don't mix. Best to have a quiet night before sailing then continue the party after sailing for as long as you'd like.

I would contact the owner Diane and ask. Ours was about 1/3 of total price that we paid through pay pal. The remainder we will pay in cash once we get there; however, you can pay by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, or American Express) when you get there too. She is really good with responding.