JrCHEF program

shredie

My kids did on the Sapphire in October. It was on Halloween, so ours was Halloween themed. They were 8 and 10 at the time. From what I understand, it can be very popular so I would inquire the first day you are on board at the kids' center. There weren't a lot of kids on our voyage so competition wasn't fierce.

Cost was $25 and included the activity, a professional photo of the child and the Exec. Chef along with the creations they made, and a good quality child sized embroidered chef's hat and apron. You sign for a time you would like their creations delivered to your room via room service. At ours we decorated cupcakes. I've heard sometimes they do cakes. Each child was allowed one adult chaperone, so my boys took mom and grandma. Adults and kids alike must be in closed toed shoes and no shorts, since they take you into the galley.

We were taken back into the galley where we met the Executive Chef and a Pastry Chef. Adults were allowed to take pictures. Since ours was Halloween themed they made fondant spiders, icing spider webs, etc. All told we spent about an hour back there. It was fun seeing some of the pastry crew at work around us creating food Halloween decorations for the ship. I thought it was worth every penny, and if your grandson enjoys helping in the kitchen I'm sure he would love it too.

Edited by giselleacttwo

Giselleacttwo - do you remember the age range of the program? My daughter will be two months shy of 8 when we sail, and would love this. She has a lot of experience in the kitchen, so this would be a great experience for her. How fun that they deliver the creations via room service!!

Giselleacttwo - do you remember the age range of the program? My daughter will be two months shy of 8 when we sail, and would love this. She has a lot of experience in the kitchen, so this would be a great experience for her. How fun that they deliver the creations via room service!!

I'm sorry, I don't know. :( We didn't have any Pelicans on our cruise (ages 3-7) so I don't know if they would have been allowed in or not.

Would we talk to the folks up at the kids/teen center to find out about this? I don't recall ever seeing this advertised in the Patters.

I think my granddaughter would love to do something like this with me on our Alaska cruise in June.

Would we talk to the folks up at the kids/teen center to find out about this? I don't recall ever seeing this advertised in the Patters.

Yes. The kids center counselors will know if/when it is going to happen on your voyage, and on our cruise they accompanied the group to the galley. I've never seen it advertised in Patters, either.

Yes. The kids center counselors will know if/when it is going to happen on your voyage, and on our cruise they accompanied the group to the galley. I've never seen it advertised in Patters, either.

The only reason I know about it is that my grandson (who is a computer wizard compared to me) found it on the Princess web site. There is also a video of kids' activities where it is mentioned. He is now eager to do it. He had always helped out in the kitchen since he was a little thing. His brother, not so much, but I think I'll sign him up, too.

Thanks everyone!

The only reason I know about it is that my grandson (who is a computer wizard compared to me) found it on the Princess web site. There is also a video of kids' activities where it is mentioned. He is now eager to do it. He had always helped out in the kitchen since he was a little thing. His brother, not so much, but I think I'll sign him up, too.

Thanks everyone!

That's how my kids are. My youngest loves to help in the kitchen. My oldest doesn't really care to. But they both had fun.