Good ship for first time on RCCL?

Hi all,

Have a couple courtesy holds and since the KSF thread is making me nervous I need to make a decision NOW. I have Explorer, Jewel, and Oasis. We are experienced cruisers having been on 4 CCL, 1 DCL, and 1 NCL. Please tell me any pros or cons about these ships in general. I'm aware Explorer had the noro outbreak but this is the one I'm leaning most heavily towards due to itinerary.

Also any experience with kids clubs would be helpful. We have DD10 and DS3. DD loved CCL's club. DCL and NCL, not so much.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi all,

Have a couple courtesy holds and since the KSF thread is making me nervous I need to make a decision NOW. I have Explorer, Jewel, and Oasis. We are experienced cruisers having been on 4 CCL, 1 DCL, and 1 NCL. Please tell me any pros or cons about these ships in general. I'm aware Explorer had the noro outbreak but this is the one I'm leaning most heavily towards due to itinerary.

Also any experience with kids clubs would be helpful. We have DD10 and DS3. DD loved CCL's club. DCL and NCL, not so much.

Thanks!

Kids Club is great on all RCCL ships, especially at your kids' ages. My two DS have gone through all levels of Adventure Ocean from age 3, and the youngest goes on his last AO cruise this month before graduating to Teen Club. Once they get a bit older things like Flowrider would come into play, but at their age it won't matter.

With the young kids, I'd skip the Jewel. The Explorer is due for a makeover and it needs it. If you're cruising after its dry dock, it is a great ship. Never can go wrong with the Oasis unless 5500 people are too many for you.

We'll be doing our first Rccl cruise on the Explorer very soon, so I'll let you know how it went.

We are experienced cruisers on NCL, which we do enjoy, but the Explorer had the time and itinerary we are looking for. We never cruised with children, so had no experience with the kids' clubs.

I would like to say that the Oasis and Allure probably have all of the "bells and whistles" for kids.

Oasis will have the most (by far) of things to do. Explorer would be next and then Jewel. I haven't been on NCL, but Royal's kids clubs are much more like CCL's than DCL's, so your daughter should like it. Not all kids would be out of school in late May, so it shouldn't be too crazy on any of the ships. I'd go for Oasis personally, but the ship is the destination there. If you really like Explorer's itinerary, you can't go wrong there either.

Tif we were looking at the 9 night itinerary that stops in Bermuda. I guess I didn't realize there wasn't much to do there. Something to consider.

Thank you to the rest of you for your thoughts. Jon--I hesitate about the Oasis because we've been all the places except Labadee. We truly cruise for itinerary but also like a nice ship.

Anyway, have some sad news to report that I went to look at our reservations somehow, stupidly I left the kids off the reservation for Explorer (that was the only one I did that for!) and sadly after 1.5 hours mostly on hold there's nothing that can be done since we were booked in a double, need a quad and the promo has sold out for that sailing. I'm so sad.

Edited by buckeyemommy16

What sailing was it? When I looked a little bit ago in the TA portal most had the promo yet? Sorry that happened :(

We are doing the same itinerary on the Explorer, my 5 kids loved the ship. We can't wait to go on her again, and will be sad to see her leave NJ.

~Jacqui~ Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Jewel of the Seas is going out of San Juan for May and is just slightly larger the CCL Pride you've been on. And the Explorer of the Seas is about 14 tonnes larger than the Disney Fantasy...the Oasis of the Seas is a little less than double the size of the Disney Fantasy.

Don't know if you've read Cruise Critic's Best Cruise Ships for Families. :):):):)

Edited by cruiseclues

Here's a review on the Allure of the Seas (sister ship of Oasis of the Seas) which might be helpful because the review is aimed at families and they have 3 kids possibly close enough in age to yours:

Propelled to Cruise: Our Photo Review of the Allure 2-16-14** ginadc** 2/28/2014

:):):):)

Edited by cruiseclues

What sailing was it? When I looked a little bit ago in the TA portal most had the promo yet? Sorry that happened :(

We are doing the same itinerary on the Explorer, my 5 kids loved the ship. We can't wait to go on her again, and will be sad to see her leave NJ.

It was the May 22 sailing. I also went back this morning and looked and it was available but the total price was about $1,000 higher than my price.

Here's a review on the Allure of the Seas (sister ship of Oasis of the Seas) which might be helpful because the review is aimed at families and they have 3 kids possibly close enough in age to yours:

Propelled to Cruise: Our Photo Review of the Allure 2-16-14** ginadc** 2/28/2014

:):):):)

Wow thanks for the links, will definitely read these!

I got $2670 for an inside and $3864 for a family of 4 for that sailing. Is that what you're getting?

Thank you, yes. My original booking was $2760 for a balcony guarantee. I realize that is for 2 but I know in all the different ways I tried it I got something similar for all 4 of us with the KSF. That's not crazy right?

As a point of reference I had the Jewel for $2600 and the Oasis for $3100 for all 4 us for the same time period (May 24 I think).