Cozumel Time vs Ship

oneboysmom

Hi, I know this question has probably been asked a million times before, I just want to clarify something. We are having our Daylight Savings Time kick in this weekend so we will spring ahead 1 hour. I'm under the understanding that Mexico doesn't go ahead until the 2nd weekend in April. We are going to be there April 2nd and our hours are 1:30-10. For ship time and that time, what times do we have? Is it worth to do an all-inclusive or a resort thats only open til 4. Is it 5 their time?

Sorry if this sounds confusing, I'm just trying to clear the air and figure out what we're going to do!!!

Thanks All!!

I leave on the Triumph Thursday which is great. I just realized the time changes during my cruise and I lose an hour of my cruise:eek:

Guess I will need to take another cruise when the time changees back:cool:

Not sure where the Triumph is sailing from. Ships stay on the time that the Home Port is on. Cozumel is in the Central Time Zone, same as Galveston and New Orleans. All Florida ports are Eastern, one hour later. If you are booking a private shore excursion, it will most likely be listed in local times.

Cozumel is Central time, but they don't go on DST until April 6. So the ship's time, which is Miami time, will be 2 hours ahead of local time when you stop on the 2nd. (Assuming you're on the Ecstasy, as shown in your signature)

Edited by CoconutJD

To me a two hour difference between ship time and port time seems a bit out of sort. Does this happen? I thought on our 09 HAL cruise the ship changed time more than once on our cruise...but that was a long time ago.

To me a two hour difference between ship time and port time seems a bit out of sort. Does this happen? I thought on our 09 HAL cruise the ship changed time more than once on our cruise...but that was a long time ago.

Not unusual. We cruised the Dream's Eastern itinerary in 2010. Roatan & Belize do not observe daylight savings time ever, and our ship stayed on Florida time the whole cruise. So that meant that we were 2 hours ahead of both Roatan & Belize. Our independent excursion in Roatan had to know, because it meant an early morning start for them. Carnival hardly ever changes ship time just because of crossing a time zone, unless it is a repositioning cruise; or maybe Alaska or Hawaii (not sure about those).

Not unusual. We cruised the Dream's Eastern itinerary in 2010. Roatan & Belize do not observe daylight savings time ever, and our ship stayed on Florida time the whole cruise. So that meant that we were 2 hours ahead of both Roatan & Belize. Our independent excursion in Roatan had to know, because it meant an early morning start for them. Carnival hardly ever changes ship time just because of crossing a time zone, unless it is a repositioning cruise; or maybe Alaska or Hawaii (not sure about those).

Past January we changed time twice on the sea days going to and twice on the way back from Hawaii.

Ok, we are in Cozumel on March 25th from 11 am to 8 pm ship time. I hope I understand correctly that Cozumel time will be from 9 am to 6 pm. Right?

If so I will have to check with my snorkel tour because we are booked from 1 pm to 6pm local time. Yikes...we will miss the ship!!

Ok, we are in Cozumel on March 25th from 11 am to 8 pm ship time. I hope I understand correctly that Cozumel time will be from 9 am to 6 pm. Right?

If so I will have to check with my snorkel tour because we are booked from 1 pm to 6pm local time. Yikes...we will miss the ship!!

What port are you leaving from?

Galveston or a Florida port?

If you are leaving from Florida, then yes, that will be 9am-6pm local time. If you are leaving from Galveston or New Orleans, you will be there from 10am-7pm local time. Either way, if your tour operator is not making time adjustments for you, you should definitely get that time changed. I would always want to have a cushion of more than 2 hours at the end of an independent tour.

Your case is the perfect reason why we can't just stay on ship time and ignore local time, which is what countless people around these boards will tell everyone. Your tour operator may not make the adjustment, but they might, so you need to find out one way or the other from them. Cozumel independent tours often have plenty of guests that are staying in hotels, and they might have a ton of cruise ships in port with different ship times amongst them, so some of them expect cruisers to figure out the time difference for themselves.

Edited by k2excursion