Are there any small (under 300 passenger) cruises to Alaska?

sand33647

A friend has asked about going to Alaska on a smaller cruise line. We've done Carnival and HAL so I have no idea if there is one. She would like something along the lines of National Geographic that has educational speaker, etc. She wants to be able to do tours through the ship and have tour talks before each tour. She would also like something with say less than 300 passengers. This is on her trip list for 2015.

Thanks for your help!!

Un-cruise is one company. I think it used to be called Inner Seas Discovery.

Another is Alaska Dream.

Google 'alaska small ship cruises' and see what else comes up.

p.s. someone just re-posted their small ship cruise. Look down this page a few lines .....

Edited by mapleleaves
ps

We went to Alaska May and June of 2013 with National Geographic on a small 58 passenger ship and then did their Denali extension at the North Face Lodge. It is a great way to see the wildlife with fantastic naturalist guides. Here is a short video slide show I put together of the Alaskan trip: http://www.tomjed.com/index.php/alaska

Tom

Wow Tom2 your video is beautiful. I think that this is the type of trip that she is looking for. She and her mother are doing the 70th anniversary d-day and Normandy tour in June and looking at doing Alaska in 2015. I will pass along your video with your permission, as well as your travelogue. It's too late tonight, but I will read your entire travelogue tomorrow. Thanks for the information!

sand33647

I am glad you enjoyed the video; please feel free to share it with whomever you wish. If your friends are going to Alaska for the wildlife I don’t think you can beat the small ship experience. I have nothing against large ships and have done quite a few large ship cruises in Europe and the Caribbean but with small ships you really get up close and personal with the wildlife. Anytime we came upon wildlife we would follow the wildlife, there was no schedule we had to keep, i.e. we came upon a pod of Humpback Whales “bubble net feeding” and stayed with them for over two hours allowing great photo opportunities. We first did National Geographic off of Baja for the Gray Whale Migration and were so impressed with their naturalist guides we booked NG for Alaska. There is a slideshow of the Gray Whale Migration trip on the website under Whale Migration. I have seen comments on the cost of a small ship expedition, on the surface small ships seem more expensive but when you factor in all the tours, daily zodiac excursions, lectures, and wine at dinner that’s included the cost seems more reasonable. Alaska is a beautiful place whatever route your friends take.