Live From The Grand - 3/5/14 - Mexico, CA and HI

ccrain

I am really enjoying your daily posts, thank you so much for doing it as we will be on the Grand on 4/13 and on the Caribe with a balcony. One question for you, how are the mattresses. I have found them hit or miss on my previous cruises and was wondering if they have replaced them. Thanks for the info.

I am really enjoying your daily posts, thank you so much for doing it as we will be on the Grand on 4/13 and on the Caribe with a balcony. One question for you, how are the mattresses. I have found them hit or miss on my previous cruises and was wondering if they have replaced them. Thanks for the info.

The mattresses have been replaced with pillow tops, but they are pretty firm now after several years of constant use. I'm a firm mattress kind of guy and we have to elevate the head of the bed for Judy's GERD, but if you are a soft mattress kind of person, this won't cut it.

On our last few long cruises we brought a Wal Mart foam pad to put on the bed. Wish we would have done it this time.

The good news is that we go to bed pretty tired, so it doesn't bother us unless we try and stay in bed late.

it was such a gorgeous day we walked the beach and then checked out state street.

Thanks for your reply. It sounds like you had a wonderful day. I have really enjoyed following you as we are going on the Coastal and then the Mexican cruises in 2 weeks.

Thanks for your reply. It sounds like you had a wonderful day. I have really enjoyed following you as we are going on the Coastal and then the Mexican cruises in 2 weeks.

for HI!

Beautiful day in SF. Awaiting In-Transit check-in/out in Alfredo's. Supposed to happen around 1030. Then out for some water, some shopping, some lunch...then off to HI.

I was just wondering if you did any of the Urban Wine Trail and how was it?
A couple of years ago on the Sapphire we stopped at several tasting rooms along Anacapa Street. We walked about eight blocks along Cabrillo from the tender pier to Anacapa. There are at least three tasting rooms within two blocks. We then walked another eight plus blocks into the main downtown area. It was a nice way to spend a few hours in Santa Barbara :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The mattresses have been replaced with pillow tops, but they are pretty firm now after several years of constant use. I'm a firm mattress kind of guy and we have to elevate the head of the bed for Judy's GERD, but if you are a soft mattress kind of person, this won't cut it.

On our last few long cruises we brought a Wal Mart foam pad to put on the bed. Wish we would have done it this time.

The good news is that we go to bed pretty tired, so it doesn't bother us unless we try and stay in bed late.

As Charles said, many of the mattresses on the Grand are several years old. We were in a Window Suite on the 03/05 cruise. Our mattress had purchase order information and it was apparently ordered in July of 2011. With that being said, our mattress was very comfortable. The mattress topper was separate and we could feel no evidence of the joint between the two twin mattresses.

One Italian firm, Matermoll, supplies mattresses to 70% of cruise lines world wide including HAL, Celebrity, RCCL, HAL, Carnival and Princess. Our mattress on the Grand was the Lux model which is a step up from the Admiral model that were in inside cabins on the Golden and the Coral.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Same as the last time. Met security at Alfredos, swapped cards and beat feet for Safeway. Water – check; Lunch – check; Walk a couple of miles – check. Sourdough bread – check. Back on ship in time for sailing – big double check.

Lunch was at Aliotos. Nice view. So so food. It was good and fresh, but not memorable. So far my search for a calamari as good as the plate we had in Venice is in vain. But one must persevere.

So let’s preview the next 15 days. We have one day at sea, then Ensenada, then 4 days at sea, the islands, 4 days back and homeward bound. Formal nights are Ensenada, After Maui and 3rd sea day back. 3 hours back, then 3 hours forward on the way home.

Princess theater headliners are Stardust, British Invasion and Do You Wanna Dance. A tribute to the Beatles by Jesse Kazemek, A tribute by Donny Ray Evins, Instrumentalist Craig Richard, Heather Sullivan, Impressionist tony Pace, Ventriloquist Mark Merchant, Hypnotist Kellie Karl and Halau Hula Olano – which I believe is the evening show in Oahu.

Typical activities at night; Country Western, Liars Club, 70’s night, Majority Rules, Rock and Roll night, Karaoke, Princess Pop Star and marriage match game show.

Steve Moris is back (yeah)! Doug Funk is back (yeah)! Zumba is back – oh my aching back (they have a session for that as well). Hula and Ukulele classes and pianist Brad Stevens. Motor City is on in Vista.

Kez is gone on a short vacation. Miranda is staying at least to the islands. The Randy Heddon quartet had to leave due to one of their members having an emergency and Rhapsody is on in the wheelhouse. (They sound familiar.) Retrospect is back. Crescenzo is back in Crooners.

So that looks like it for now. Will begin updating tomorrow morning from the IC and coffee.

We also had lunch at Alioto's the day before we departed on the 5th. The lunch time special clam chowder and fish and chips was good, but we go there often when we are in San Francisco because we ate there almost 42 years ago on our honeymoon :). As you say, the view is also nice.

Is Elua or the other group on board for the Hawaiian Experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by IECalCruiser

Ensenada – A very nice feeling of déjà vu for sure. Yesterday and last night was great and exhausting. Exactly why we went on this series of cruises. Near perfect walking weather, good views across the bay, lots of people to people watch. While the food could have been better, it didn’t detract from the day. Coming back on board at 1430 was great. Almost no lines.

Chelsea, Veronica (Cruise Staff) and Erin (from Retrospect) had a great time at Ross’s just down the street. None of them had been there before and was blown away by the variety of choices and prices. There went the budget for them. Since we were there last turnaround day, we only needed water and another loaf of sourdough for movie night, which is tonight!

Doug Funk killed it again during his welcome aboard show. You know the comedy is good when you are laughing so much the back of your head hurts. Even though we’ve seen everything at least twice, the fact that he improvs sets each show apart. Every person on stage is different and while the improv scenario is the same, his responses to the situation are different. It’s a kick.

So Erin and the boys of Retrospect are back singing and we spent two sets with them last night. The Randy Heddon quartet had to leave and were replaced by Rhapsody. These guys are great! Their music and vocals are so good, it’s a pleasure just to sit in the wheelhouse and listen to them. Very smooth and very danceable.

Needless to say it was a late night and a long decompress before we could crash.

So let’s look at the patter. Since the ship is headed to HI with several sea days, HI cultural activities will be front and center. On other ships, Elua is the headliner for the HI activities and they are very good at what they do – we have sailed with them twice before. On this ship we have Makani E. Kimo and Lokelina. Today Kimo will have a Ukulele class and Lokelina will have a hula class. As in the last cruise we had with Elua, Judy, the musical one, will probably do both until the final show and then decide between Hula and Ukulele.

Keeping with the HI theme, there is a ribbon lei class today with numbers being given out this morning and the class later in the afternoon.

There are two lectures today as well. Both by naturalist Gary Shahan. The first is a lecture on the Big Island, and the second is a lecture on crossing the pacific.

There are four trivias today. Morning, afternoon, Themed and Jeopardized this evening. There is also a name that tune type trivia tonight. There is also Merengue and line dancing.

Headline shows for the evening are Kallie Karl, hypnotist, in Vista and Donny Ray Evans in the theater with his tribute to Nat King Cole. Retrospect and Rhapsody are back in Explorer’s and the Wheelhouse respectively.

MUTS has Big, Sheryl Crow, Back to the Future today, and Gravity for tonight’s feature. (That’s where we will be.) World War Z is the afternoon movie.

There is a Pub Lunch in Crown Grill, X-Box Kinect games, boat building contest sign ups, a shopping show, Zumba, yoga, Abs, core pilates and body sculpting.

Bingo is back, gaming demonstrations, texas holdem and dicey wooden horse racing.

Now that is a packed schedule…

Off to Zumba with Miranda!

Since you are on the cruise before us would you please ask, if you will be so kind, as to who the Catholic Priest is who will be on the Easter Cruise leaving San Francisco for HI on the 13th? I would be so grateful. I was on the Easter cruise to the So. Pacific last year and I'm hoping the priest will be Fr. Gold but will appreciate any Catholic minister on our cruise.:)

Does the ship furnish the ukulele's for the classes? How big is the class size? I've always wanted to learn to play and would buy myself one if they don't furnish them, but hate to buy one until I see if I really enjoy it. Even if the Grand has them since they do the route repeatedly, does anyone know if the Crown will have them for the Hawaii portion of their LA>Hawaii>So.Pacific round trip?

Kartgv, Grand had 40 ukuleles to loan out daily. Once you made a commitment to learn and play the ukulele, the instructor expected you daily. At the end of the cruise, they held a recital and there were 58 ukuleles playing at the Princess Theater. I would say that about 8 guest brought their own ukuleles and about 10 purchased them, as did my wife.

Cloudy and foggy this morning. Only a half day ashore. We will probably not get off. It is a much nicer port stop than the one we did in 2009. It will be interesting to see what immigration does in Hawaii. We’ve always stopped in Ensenada on the way back, not the way over.

Yesterday was indeed a full day. (Although Judy skipped out on me for Zumba.) She has decided to help Veronica and Miranda do the ribbon lei class. Judy has also decided to do the Hula class and leave the Ukulele class to people who will be in the final show. The format is similar to Elua’s program, no heritage lei’s though, in that they have a Hula class and a Ukulele class that culminates in a show on the way back.

After Zumba I decided to double the workout and head to the gym. Which made lunch one of the best we’ve ever had. Two cold salads that even Judy could eat, a cucumber/pepper/chicken salad and a Thai beef salad. Both were seasoned and excellent. The theme for lunch was a bit more asian with a Thai green curry that was surprisingly spicy and so good. We could have had more of that. The five spice chicken was excellent as well. This was, hands down, the best food we’ve had on the ship to date. PDG!

I guess I haven’t given my “why we go to the buffet” talk on this live from yet. Over the past couple of years we’ve talked to almost every head chef we’ve sailed with and we’ve learning that in the MDR, the chef does not have a lot of flexibility. The menus and recipes are pretty much set. Yes, there is some variance from ship to ship and chef to chef – mainly on seasoning – but it’s the same menu fleet wide. However they have a lot more flexibility in menu creation in the HC. The downside is that it is buffet food, but that is more than compensated for by the fact that it’s a much larger variety of dishes and tastes. On other ships, theme nights and theme lunches were advertised in the patter. I think that should be made standard on all ships, but not on this one. I know we are missing a lot of special meals, loved the Bavarian night on the last cruise, but oh well.

We did go see Gravity again last night on MUTS. We had sourdough and chicarrones to eat! A couple of drinks, some snacks and we were good to go. (They also bring around pizza, cookies and milk, and popcorn.) Gravity is still our favorite so far this cruise as far as new movies. (We saw the hobbit part two before we got on – but we will see it on MUTS before we get back.)

After MUTS was dancing. On the dancing front, there is a lot of good news on this cruise. First of all, both bands are great to dance to. Retrospect is more R&R, Rhapsody is the “ballroom” wheelhouse band. Secondly, neither one is hooked on “Jazz”, which is great to listen to, awful to dance to. Third, the dance floors are crowded for sure, but all of us are just having a good time. There are no “professionals” in the group who swing their arms out and take up half the wheelhouse floor – which is not hard to do!

In fact, we had about 15 couples on the wheelhouse dance floor last night at one time during a rhumba tune. Some were rhumbaing, some were nightclubbing some were swaying and some were just step touching. Everyone was having a great time, the band was just in the groove, the music was enthralling – it was great. After Rhapsody’s set, we hopped over to Explorer’s to visit with Erin, lead singer on Retrospect, and to dance a set with them. Once again, great tunes, great music selection, lots of dancers on the floor (no “pros”), everyone just having a great time and swaying to the music. Even those, like me, who have to have help get on beat were having a great time.

So another late night. Thought we could sleep late this morning. Not! Oh well, we will relax from our vacation when we get back home.

So the patter for this port day. Tonight is formal night. (Don’t know why a formal night on a port day, but oh well.) All aboard is 1330. Gravity is in Vista for the afternoon movie. Retrospect is doing sailaway. Where in the world am I, golf chipping, texas holdem, Makani-E, a Russian diamond event and bingo are the highlights of the afternoon.

Good Feet apparently has a contract with Princess and they have been on-board with their free foot analysis. (I am a loyal customer of theirs. Their orthotic product certainly helps my tibular tendon disorder, and their inserts last for years. Mine have. I also buy their cushions. Expensive, but they are the best I’ve used over the past several years.

Tonight is formal night with Captain Phillips on MUTS, Stardust as the production show, Doug Funk’s improv show in Vista, the Captain’s Champagne waterfall, and the Majority Rules gameshow. Princess pop star heat #1 as well.

A new alert we’ve heard twice on this ship so far. “First Stage Response”. Not “assessment party”. Not “Code Blue”. One was in a passenger cabin last cruise. One was in the main galley, just a few minutes ago. Both were stood down within 5 minutes.

Anybody know the codes? Medical? Fire?

Wine Packages

Yes, the Grand has wine packages. The Silver package allows you to pre-pay for 7, 10 or 14 bottles of wine, can’t remember the prices, and select that number of bottles up to $29 each. The Gold package allows you to pre-pay for the 7, 10 or 14 bottles and select up to $45 each.

I couldn’t get the pricing from the guy – its on the little cards he carries, and we didn’t have a camera with us. If you need the actual pricing I can try and take a picture of the card.

I may have the exact numbers wrong, but they answer is yes, they do have such packages available.

Easter Services

Just got off the phone with Kelly (new Deputy CD). Princess does not sponsor an Easter Mass any more. If a qualified priest is on board, with a letter or some kind of paperwork, and wishes to volunteer and conduct such a mass, Princess will provide space and anything they can to make it happen, but they do not sponsor such events any more.

Retrospect and Rhapsody sound like fun bands to dance to. My wife and I are on the 4/13 Hawaii cruise. Do you know if these bands will still be on board?

Unless something happens, they are scheduled to be on the cruise until Alaska...