Can narration during Glacier Bay be heard on balconies

jsiegel

I'll be taking my fourth Alaskan cruise but the first time in a cabin with a balcony. All the other times I've gone to a public deck during glacier scenic cruising and heard the naturalist's narration quite well. Is the narration piped through speakers out on the balconies? I'll be on the Star, if that matters.

Thanks,

Jackie

Edited by jsiegel
corrected ship. will be on Star. Also considering Golden for another alaska cruise

I'll be taking my fourth Alaskan cruise but the first time in a cabin with a balcony. All the other times I've gone to a public deck during glacier scenic cruising and heard the naturalist's narration quite well. Is the narration piped through speakers out on the balconies? I'll be on the Star, if that matters.

Thanks,

Jackie

Ours was on some cruises, others not. We open the balcony door and turn the TV to the channel that the narration can be heard and it worked well.

As noted, you can open your balcony door (do the ship a solid and turn down your heat first) and put the TV on the channel playing the narration if needed).

No worries, hubbie likes it cold and I just bundle up. I'm a stickler about not heating or cooling the world by leaving doors or windows open. Not to mention leaving lights on.

I didn't realize the narration is streamed on the TVs while cruising the glacier. Good to know. Looking forward to uncrowded viewing (though one of my Alaskan cruises was so cold on glacier day that my sister and I had the front deck almost all to ourselves. We were right below the naturalist who was on the bridge and were pointing out wildlife to him.)

Jackie

While In Glacier Bay you'll be best served by going top side for a 360deg view.

Beside not missing any glacier calving, there will probably be a naturalist guide there to answer questions and explain the history and projected future of the glacier(s).

Even though the captain will slowly turn the ship 360deg, odds are the good stuff will always be opposite your balcony.:mad:

Edited by Stevesan

One thing to note: on our '12 cruise, we attended one of the naturalist lectures where she said she hoped to be narrating in College Fjord, but it would be up to the discretion of the captain to allow her on the bridge (new captain, very by-the-book). During the College Fjord scenic cruising, we staked out a spot along the port-side railing (here's what our view looked like: Cruise-2012-DDB From our spot, we could see her on the bridge, and we could tell she was "talking with her hands", but we couldn't hear her. Finally my mom flagged down some ship's staff and said "I think we're supposed to be able to hear her" (and pointed). Two minutes later, we saw someone walk over to the naturalist and plug in her microphone. :) Moral of the story: get a sense of when you SHOULD be able to hear things, and speak up if you CAN'T. :)