FLL Amerisuites - 17th st.

coiran

There are Parasail operators on Fort Lauderdale Beach, you won't miss them.

I have no experience with any of them, but there are several dive shops in the Fort Lauderdale phone book that offer daily dive trips.

Seeking info about Amerisuites and valuetrips.com......tried to book Amerisuites on-line via valuetrips for Feb 2006 and rec'd email stating they do not book that far in advance.....is this the norm as I have not dealt with valuetrips in the past......any info would be appreciated....ty

• 2 weeks later...

AmeriSuites is about a mile and a half or so from the beach. It's too far to walk though.

Yes, they have shuttles to/from FLL and to Port Everglades. I suppose you could walk to the port, but you really wouldn't want to with luggage, and with the way it's set up with the security checkpoint it would be a rather long walk! It's about a half mile to the entrance, but to get in through security, and then back to wherever your ship is would be considerably farther.

I've never seen taxis sitting AT AmeriSuites, but there are plenty of them in the SE 17th Street area. If you need one it won't take long to get one, I'm sure the front desk could call one for you.

AmeriSuites is about a mile and a half or so from the beach. It's too far to walk though.

Yes, they have shuttles to/from FLL and to Port Everglades. I suppose you could walk to the port, but you really wouldn't want to with luggage, and with the way it's set up with the security checkpoint it would be a rather long walk! It's about a half mile to the entrance, but to get in through security, and then back to wherever your ship is would be considerably farther.

I've never seen taxis sitting AT AmeriSuites, but there are plenty of them in the SE 17th Street area. If you need one it won't take long to get one, I'm sure the front desk could call one for you.

So, what to you think ,Trent, would you stay there?

Personally I am a very picky person, I prefer newer 4 & 5-star hotels myself. AmeriSuites is a 2.5-star hotel. I guess it's all what you're used to and willing to pay for, but you can get AmeriSuites for $69-79 on Valuetrips, less on Priceline. You can't touch The Atlantic for example, for anywhere near that... http://www.starwoodhotels.com/luxury/search/hotel_detail.html?propertyID=1475

AmeriSuites is a bit worn around the edges, but it's not THAT bad. I was in it a few months ago and they were replacing carpeting, so they do seem to be working on it. It's a decent budget hotel for a pre-cruise night. If you're expecting Ritz-Carlton quality, then don't stay there, but if you just want a decent, very inexpensive hotel for a night then it's fine. You won't find anything cheaper along SE 17th Street.

AmeriSuites location is perfect, it's a very safe area close to both the airport and port, and within easy walking distance of many many restaurants, shops, grocery, liquor & drug stores. They also have shuttles, and if you don't rent a car, this is definitely the area you want to be in.

All of the major rental car companies are now in the new Car Rental Center, which is a large parking garage in the middle of the airport terminals. They no longer have their own shuttles. I believe you'll have to take a taxi to Port Everglades after returning your car, but the port is adjacent to the airport and only about a $10 cab ride.

Trent...I thought the Amerisuites was only about 2-3 years old, why is it so run down then. My fear is BUGS. Has anyone who has stayed in the Amerisuites seen BUGS in their suite?

That is what will make my decision. The pictures look so nice. Is it a 2 1/2 star hotel because they lack amenities (restaurant, etc) or is it because it deserves only a 2 1/2 star rating, because of the way it is kept up.

TIA,

Joanna

Oh it's more than 2-3 years old, probably closer to 8-10. It's a VERY popular hotel as it's the cheapest decent place along the extremely popular SE 17th Street corridor. I wouldn't call it run down, just a bit worn from all the use it gets, but as I said they did seem to be refurbishing things when I was last in it a few months ago.

I've never seen bugs in it! Having said that though - Living in the tropics you can't leave any food out or unrinsed soda cans or anything like that out. If you do you WILL have bugs/roaches! You do have to be very careful with anything that will attract them, they can find an opening that you can't even see.

I believe it's 2.5-star because it doesn't have a restaurant or some of the amenities that other more expensive places have. It does have a pool, but it's basically a budget, no frills hotel. If you're on a budget it's perfect for a night before a cruise, and the location can't be beat.

Thanks Trent for your reply. I currently have the Amerisuites on hold for $160. If valuetrip opens up February for $69-75 per night, I think I will give it a try, if not, then I thnk I will upgrade and go somewhere nicer.

Thanks

Joanna

Archived