Future cruise booked onboard (Celebrity)

I am sailing with Celebrity next month and am thinking of booking my next sailing whilst onboard due to the onboard credit offers. Has Antoine done this and how does it work if transferring the booking to my usual Australian travel agent?

Assuming you're travelling with the same TA now as you want to use, they will link it automatically.

When you contact your TA after the cruise, they will have your booking under their profile already.

As for how to do it, they have an office onboard and you just go there, tell them the cruise and make a booking, and they take the deposit on the spot. It is charged to your credit card (typically).

I am sailing with Celebrity next month and am thinking of booking my next sailing whilst onboard due to the onboard credit offers. Has Antoine done this and how does it work if transferring the booking to my usual Australian travel agent?

Warning: Only buy a Celebrity Future Cruise certificate if you are using it immediately onboard towards another cruise. Celebrity usually will only let you have one benefit per cruise - unlike Princess!

When we booked our last Celebrity cruise with our travel agent who is owned by RCI, we were told we could use our Celebrity Future Cruise certificates. Although we had been assured when we purchased them on our last RCI cruise that we could use them on any future cruise regardless of the deal offered; we were surprised to be told after our final payment was made that they were not allowed.

The reason given by RCI’s Australian office for taking back our on-board credit was (quote):

“The Next & Future Cruise bookings made onboard are not combinable with certain fares available in the market. It appears that the booking made by Cruise1st for Celebrity Infinity has been made on one of these restricted fares and is therefore not combinable with the booking made onboard. We advised Cruise1st on 7th December 2012 that the certificate was not combinable with your booking, I regret that they did not pass this information to you straight away.” (Note: my underlining of the word "appears").

The price we paid was the same as advertised by several travel agents at the time. It was certainly not cheap at AUD 1849 (slightly more in USD at the time) each for an inside cabin.

After several phone calls and emails between us, the RCI office and their travel agent, we were offered two choices – use the certificates but lose the $200 on-board credit or pay an extra $200 and keep the certificates. As we felt that it would be unlikely that we would ever pay the brochure price in the future, we took the first option.

To make matters worse we were also refused an on-board credit as shareholders for the same reason!

During the cruise we were surprised to receive two complimentary champagne bottles and flowers. Also each formal night, chocolate coated strawberries were delivered to our room. After discussing our problem of having our on-board credit taken off us, we were assured by our fellow passengers that this didn't happen to Americans. As a result, we raised our disappointment with the Future Cruise and the Captain’s Club consultants. After still not receiving any satisfaction, we then approached David Gross, the Guest relations Manager who listened patiently to our complaint. Unfortunately he also received a negative reply to his email to RCI Australia but did confirm that our “VIP” status was to try and pacify us. Surly it would have been better to have reinstated our on-board credit of $200?

Warning: Only buy a Celebrity Future Cruise certificate if you are using it immediately onboard towards another cruise.

The poster above is talking about booking onboard, not buying or using a certificate.

It is a timely warning though that the future cruise certificates do have restrictions regarding combining with other offers and discounts. All of the certificates and discounts seem to have some restriction. The savings certificates and balcony discounts on Royal Caribbean have restrictions also.

The reduced deposit is a bonus only if the cruise is a good price in the first place. When purchasing on board be aware that if a sale happens down the track you may not be able to rebook and get the good price. Do your research before you go as the ship's internet is very slow and expensive, and the book we received on board one time had very out of date pricing.

We have also heard that the future cruise certificates that are open, not booked on a particular cruise, are restricted when booking a sale price. Even though you have not nominated a trip, you have a booking number and you can not always transfer that to a sale priced cruise.

If in doubt ask questions on the forum here on Cruise Critic that relates to your Cruise line brand. But... be aware that different countries do have different terms and conditions applied by the cruise companies.

Warning: Only buy a Celebrity Future Cruise certificate if you are using it immediately onboard towards another cruise. Celebrity usually will only let you have one benefit per cruise - unlike Princess!

When we booked our last Celebrity cruise with our travel agent who is owned by RCI, we were told we could use our Celebrity Future Cruise certificates. Although we had been assured when we purchased them on our last RCI cruise that we could use them on any future cruise regardless of the deal offered; we were surprised to be told after our final payment was made that they were not allowed.

The reason given by RCI’s Australian office for taking back our on-board credit was (quote):

“The Next & Future Cruise bookings made onboard are not combinable with certain fares available in the market. It appears that the booking made by Cruise1st for Celebrity Infinity has been made on one of these restricted fares and is therefore not combinable with the booking made onboard. We advised Cruise1st on 7th December 2012 that the certificate was not combinable with your booking, I regret that they did not pass this information to you straight away.” (Note: my underlining of the word "appears").

The price we paid was the same as advertised by several travel agents at the time. It was certainly not cheap at AUD 1849 (slightly more in USD at the time) each for an inside cabin.

After several phone calls and emails between us, the RCI office and their travel agent, we were offered two choices – use the certificates but lose the $200 on-board credit or pay an extra $200 and keep the certificates. As we felt that it would be unlikely that we would ever pay the brochure price in the future, we took the first option.

To make matters worse we were also refused an on-board credit as shareholders for the same reason!

During the cruise we were surprised to receive two complimentary champagne bottles and flowers. Also each formal night, chocolate coated strawberries were delivered to our room. After discussing our problem of having our on-board credit taken off us, we were assured by our fellow passengers that this didn't happen to Americans. As a result, we raised our disappointment with the Future Cruise and the Captain’s Club consultants. After still not receiving any satisfaction, we then approached David Gross, the Guest relations Manager who listened patiently to our complaint. Unfortunately he also received a negative reply to his email to RCI Australia but did confirm that our “VIP” status was to try and pacify us. Surly it would have been better to have reinstated our on-board credit of $200?

BVM.

Thank you for your informative post.:). None of this would have been a consideration to me had you not highlighted the issues. Geez it must make you mad :mad: that others based on their nationality can be treated differently.

I cannot wait for a cruise line that starts the marketing concept that they operate in a global world and apply their global pricing / conditions accordingly!

Edited by Cruise_me_Crazy

After reading several different things on this I'm totally confused. We've just come off Rhapsody and while onboard I paid deposits for 2 open bookings which depending on the amount of days gave me $200 onboard credit for each stateroom and the deposits never expired. We're now looking at cruising Celebrity Solstice next April and hoping to use these for that cruise.

1. Can I use my RCI Next Cruise deposit for Celebrity (owned by the same company)

2. I didn't nominate a travel agent as I'd like to shop around

3. If I'm offered a special price with an agency does that mean that I can use my RCI Next Cruise onboard credit?

:confused:

I have asked the sdame question regarding using a RCCL letter against celebrity cruise and was told no.

I have not had any problems using them against RCCL cruises.

Dont forget also you can book others on the same letter provided they are going on the same cruise and get the same benefits. The use the friends ones next trip. If you have family members/ friends you can share the letters this way.

Hi KaseyOz, I didn't receive a friends and family one. Is that something different? I've heard other people mention these also and thought maybe that was something different you had to purchase. Sorry if I seem so vague :confused:

I guess I should try and spend forever on hold RCI or Celebrity to confirm whether I can use these RCI deposits for Celebrity.

Just to clarify: while we were on a RCI Grandeur of the Seas cruise, we purchased both RCI & Celebrity Future Cruise certificates. We knew we could not swap them between companies.

Since then we have tried to also use the RCI certificates on our recent Independence of the Seas cruise. This cruise was booked through a US T/A as the price was much lower than any Aussie T/A. When we asked about our Future Cruise certificates we were told by the US T/A that RCI would not allow them with this booking as:

1. They were in Aussie dollars &

2. We had already received a reduced price.

As the price for this cruise was very good :) - they were having trouble filling the ship as this cruise wasn't advertised in their brochure (the length of the planned refit had been reduced). Later after final payment, the price was advertised to the Brits (cruise was from Southampton) even lower.

As we never pay the brochure price for a cruise, I think we may have wasted our AU$200:mad:!

Hi KaseyOz, I didn't receive a friends and family one. Is that something different? I've heard other people mention these also and thought maybe that was something different you had to purchase. Sorry if I seem so vague :confused:

I guess I should try and spend forever on hold RCI or Celebrity to confirm whether I can use these RCI deposits for Celebrity.

No it is not a different one. Just the $100 one you get at the future cruise desk on board.

After reading several different things on this I'm totally confused. We've just come off Rhapsody and while onboard I paid deposits for 2 open bookings which depending on the amount of days gave me $200 onboard credit for each stateroom and the deposits never expired. We're now looking at cruising Celebrity Solstice next April and hoping to use these for that cruise.

1. Can I use my RCI Next Cruise deposit for Celebrity (owned by the same company)

As others have said, no, the offer is only for the line it was bought for.

2. I didn't nominate a travel agent as I'd like to shop around

No issues there. The booking will be held with RCL if you didn't link it to a TA e.g. have one on the cruise you bought it on.

3. If I'm offered a special price with an agency does that mean that I can use my RCI Next Cruise onboard credit?

:confused:

Agencies themselves don't have special prices for RCL, they just pass on the cruise line price which may be a special.

Some specials may have restrictions on combinability, although usage most of the time should be possible.

I am on a cruise on Celebrity in April and I am considering making a future cruise booking for a RCL cruise in 2015. My question is does it give you a reduced deposit and can I apply it to my family members who will be travelling with me in 2015 but will not be on the cruise with me this April?

Some specials may have restrictions on combinability, although usage most of the time should be possible.

As a coincident note, RCL have launched a promotion they're calling "Royal Flush" this week. This is not combinable with a number of other programs, including Next Cruise bookings. This is primarily because the two promotions are very similar i.e. Royal Flush includes reduced deposits and OBC, as does the Next cruise.

It's extremely rare for them to give multiple OBCs, hence not combinable.

I am on a cruise on Celebrity in April and I am considering making a future cruise booking for a RCL cruise in 2015. My question is does it give you a reduced deposit and can I apply it to my family members who will be travelling with me in 2015 but will not be on the cruise with me this April?

You can, for up to three cabins on the April cruise.

That said, there may not be any benefit to wait, and you may actually be better off not waiting. I'd suggest you look at the current Royal Flush promo which offers very similar benefits. The OBC differs between this promo and booking onboard, some are better with this promo, and some are better onboard depending on the length of the cruise and cabin.

The deposit will also vary. If booking onboard, it is $100/person, whereas in this promo it is half the regular deposit. Imo this doesn't make much difference in the scheme of things.

• 2 months later...

Similar question to the one answered previously but a little more specific.

We are planning to book 3 legs of the RCCL Quantum of the seas repo as it heads to China in May/June 2015.

We will be on Celebrity Solstice Auckland-Sydney in December this year.

We are C&A members but only at the lowest Gold status.

We plan to have our bookings transferred to the US agent we decide.

Questions. We are Australian but use a USA agent.

Seeing as we are using a USA agent can we do all these transactions in US dollars when on board.

Will we get the reduced deposit when booking on board the Solstice?

Will we retain the OBC and be able to take advantage of any group discounts, OBC from the agent or future price drops once we have made our booking.

Will we get some other form of fare discount or category upgrade as a result of our C&A membership when booking on board.

You would be most likely better of by booking through an American TA and take advantage of their OBC offer (TA do that as their Gift) and price of cruise is usually lower then for OZ or NZ. But I have saved up to $1,280 US after my original booking which was already cheaper.

Plus with an American TA you can also check from time to time if you are eligible for certain price drops. I.e. with a Wave promotion you can get the price drop even when it is not a new booking. You would have to monitor this yourself (usually thru CC and TA's website) and then e-mail the TA. And hay pronto! price is reduced.

But with the future bookings done on board, most times you are not eligble for the promotions like the 1,2,3 one.

Best thing is to really monitor the OZ and American TA's prices, so you have a good idea what is out there. Sometimes an OZ deal can work out quite well like when flights are included for a good price.

Find some sites where it is easy to see the prices of the different categories and lots of info or they are easy to contact. For example my American TA has free calling to most countries in the world. So, for NZ I phone the 0800 number in American biz hours and you can just talk with a consultant. Once you have made a booking you can e-mail this person directly. It's a pity I am not allowed to give you a name, as mine has just been marvellous. Sometimes they advertise here on Cruise Critic in the reviews section. Just think of going on holiday:p

My next Celebrity cruise has been booked with Celebrity (X) directly and will never do that again, as have no contact person. The phone number given at booking does not answer. When contacted X they provided another phone number and again that number does not answer.

So, wish I had done it thru my TA. Only problem is in the last few years more and more cruise lines will not allow you anymore to book via an American TA. Celebrity is one of the few left.