Hello everyone.

It is going to be our second time in Izmir and we have some doubts about what to do.

We have been to Ephesus before.

What do you recommend? Stay onboard and enjoy a less crowded ship or try out the city or something else? Last time we barely looked at Izmir as we got onboard in Kusadasi .

Thank you all.

Hello everyone.

It is going to be our second time in Izmir and we have some doubts about what to do.

We have been to Ephesus before.

What do you recommend? Stay onboard and enjoy a less crowded ship or try out the city or something else? Last time we barely looked at Izmir as we got onboard in Kusadasi .

Thank you all.

We had the same dilemma some years ago (like 4 or 5). Figuring that there were things to see in Izmir, we hired a private guide...I don't think that he is doing tours anymore. He took us around Izmir and the surrounding area--a fishing village, which turned out to be where they keep some fishing boats. Then to a bazaar. Frankly, if I were you, I'd just enjoy whatever when you get off the ship. Izmir is VERY clean, as was most of the parts of Turkey we have visited. Probably a ship's tour will offer to take you to some local places, but the clock tower isn't all that....If we docked in Izmir again, I'd just get off the ship and wander. It's safe.

You might look into a tour to Pergamon - lots of history from the Hellinistic and Roman times. Once had a library second only to the one in Alexandria. Have a look at the description in wikipedia or other sources.

It will be a full day tour as it is about an hour away and there is lots to see. You should be able to easily find an operator with a quick search.

Ola fellow countryman

Since you went to Ephesus i would suggest booking a private tour and going to Pergamamon or/and Asclepeionor

Just chill out in Izmir, do some shopping,eat and drink something.

Edited by jmvda

If the weather's nice, the walk along the sea front is very pleasant. Just exit the port, turn right, and start walking. It's maybe a 45-minute walk to the clock tower/bazaar area. You can also try to catch a ferry or get a taxi to take you there, and then walk back. Get a guidebook or load some webpages onto your phone/tablet. No need for a private guide, I don't think.

Izmir does not have a lot of tourist attractions, but it's a good chance to get a feel for modern, urban Turkey (because tourists tend to focus primarily on the really old stuff and don't necessarily see much of everyday Turkish life). You might also want to look out for some special foods that are typical of Izmir, in case you don't get enough to eat on the ship. :D

You might look into a tour to Pergamon - lots of history from the Hellinistic and Roman times. Once had a library second only to the one in Alexandria. Have a look at the description in wikipedia or other sources.

It will be a full day tour as it is about an hour away and there is lots to see. You should be able to easily find an operator with a quick search.

THe problem with that is that they have limited time...We looked into that as well...It cost ALOT of $....I think we looked into Ephesus Tours.

What gets lost with port calls at Izmir is that the city itself does have some interesting neighborhoods, shopping, restaurants, etc. We might just head to Konack Square and then work our way over to the seaside promenade. DW and I really enjoy the atmosphere of Turkey and the shopping can be a real "hoot."

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

Hank, thanks. That is what we have planned. Have you ever taken the HOHO bus? We don't use atm's and will be taking both Euro and dollars. Have a private guide for 1 1/2 days in Istanbul. Should we get some TL or will we be fine with what we have plus credit card?

Hank, thanks. That is what we have planned. Have you ever taken the HOHO bus? We don't use atm's and will be taking both Euro and dollars. Have a private guide for 1 1/2 days in Istanbul. Should we get some TL or will we be fine with what we have plus credit card?

No, we have never used the HoHo bus in Izmir. Euros, dollars and credit cards do work for most shopping. But we always like to have some local currency for small things. Keep in mind that it is difficult to change TL back to anything else once you leave Turkey so either spend any TL or plan on returning to Turkey :).

Now we could have a long discussion about your comment about not using ATMs. But suffice it to say, that without ATMs we would not be able to take our extended trips in Europe and elsewhere. We prefer carrying several ATM cards to carrying cash, and ATMs are the way most folks get cash around the world. ATMs also will usually give folks the best exchange rates, and there are many US financial institutions that do not charge any ATM fees. We have long advocated that folks should consider changing banks if their own bank charges nasty fees. If more consumers shopped around for the best bank deals (often they are credit unions) that larger banks would soon be forced to reduce or eliminate those silly fees in order to attract customers.

Hank

I agree that ATMs are convenient for withdrawing local cash, but depending on the fees associated with your card/bank, this may only make sense for relatively large amounts. If you just want $20 or $50 dollars worth of Turkish cash for one or two port days, you can probably just change some cash at a hole-in-the-wall "döviz" (cheapest option if you can find one) or in the worst case buy some lira on the ship or ask a merchant to change some dollars for you.

But since you plan to carry your credit cards or bank cards anyway, keep your PIN handy, just in case you need the ATM. It doesn't have to be your preferred method of getting cash, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared.

Thanks Hank, will get some TL as we will be back there in 2015 with our daughter, will go to Ephesus for the second time then, so will spend what we have left. I understand what you say re ATM's and why you use them. Different strokes for different folks. One thing we have noticed in the last 2 years is an increase in businesses wanting paid In cash, but we are prepared for that.

Just to say that we did the open top bus in October which was pleasant enough. We'd been to Ephesus before and had our young children with us, so this was a great option.

The bus took a 15 min break at the agora which is currently undergoing a lot of excavation work. Our guide did mention that they hope to complete the work in a few years and may well be a fine tourist attraction. If the kids hadn't been tired we would have stayed longer to walk around inside.

Others got out at the main museum and the bazaar. The driver was a maniac which also made for an entertaining ride as we hurtled through the busy streets.

Their website gives all the details of times and cost.

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Forums mobile app

does anyone know the opening times for the Izmir Bazaar on a Sunday?

thank you

Google Izmir Bazaars. The answer is on Trip Advisor.....You might want to go on Trip Advisor anyway and see what the destination experts have to say about the city anyway....T.A. is a sister website to this one....