Which Cruise Line?

Lizzie68

Hi. I am new to this so I hope I am asking the question in the right place. I've only done one cruise before, and it was arranged by someone else. I am planning to book a cruise to Alaska, and have no idea which cruise line is the best bet for that destination. Any help would be appreciated. This would be a one-week cruise, so I guess a return from either Seattle or Vancouver (Vancouver would be my choice as we live not far from there).

Are you 20 something and like to party till dawn

Are you 60 something and want a more sedate trip

What in particular do you want to see in Alaska. Not all ships go to the same places

How deep are your pockets

Is this trip about seeing Alaska or cruising

Are you cruising single or accompanied

What time of the year do you want to go. Some cruise lines have longer Alaska seasons than others

Way too many unanswered questions about you to provide a proper recommendation at this time

Hi. I am new to this so I hope I am asking the question in the right place. I've only done one cruise before' date=' and it was arranged by someone else. I am planning to book a cruise to Alaska, and have no idea which cruise line is the best bet for that destination. Any help would be appreciated. This would be a one-week cruise, so I guess a return from either Seattle or Vancouver (Vancouver would be my choice as we live not far from there).[/quote']

The "best bet" is going to vary a little for a variety of reasons, as Gunner22aa stated. However, as you essentially haven't cruised before, I doubt any cruise you select is going to be inadequate.

Some reading on the Alaska board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

where this question is asked almost daily, would be very helpful.

I always recommend getting a Fodor's or Frommer's guidebook on Alaskan crusing (your local library should have current copies). They outline the pros and cons of each line and each ship in that line. There's lots of great information on CC to be sure, but everyone has their personal preference and everyone is loyal to their favourite line. These books give a more impartial description, i.e. demographic, culture (party cruise or more formal), crew to passenger ratio, etc. Once you've narrowed your choices down to a couple that seem like they'd suit you then go from there.

Definitely spend some time reading the Alaska board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=55

This is a pretty common question over there. There are VERY knowledgeable posters on the Alaska board, some who live in Alaska, and some who have done dozens of cruises and land tours.

Alaska for me is all about the ports, and not at all about the cruise line. I generally sail on Holland America, but this year was considering Princess and Carnival too. Definitely give a LOT of thought to the ports. Do lots of research to find the ports and shore activities that appeal to you the most.

Good luck -- whatever cruise you choose to Alaska will get you to ALASKA :D