Ho Chi Minh City - Booking Private Excursion With Zoom, But Not Getting Zoom?

MalibuCA

At the recommendation of many fellow cruisers, I contacted Zoom for private tours for my husband and myself when we will visit Ho Chi Minh City with the Crystal Symphony. Zoom said that he did not know yet his availability, but that he could confirm private tours for one of his other guides. I take that to mean that either he isn't available, or he's had multiple requests and has chosen not to commit to anyone in particular at this time. In either event, I read it that Zoom isn't going to be available to us. Zoom has offered to arrange one of his other guides to take us sightseeing. We have another option - one that has thus far in our travels proven to be a good choice. Specifically, our travel agent can arrange for private tours for us, and the travel agent generally uses Abercrombie & Kent. Whether we plan tours with one of Zoom's associate guides or go with our travel agent's choice of A&K, we will not know anything about our guide until we meet him/her in HCMC for the tour. Has anyone here ever taken a private tour arranged by Zoom, but with a guide that is Zoom's recommended associate? How about a tour with A&K? What would you do?

Thanks for your help!

Shelley

Last year we along with two other couples arrange a private tour with Zoom. The tour organizer specifically ask for him to be our tour guide, which he promised. Unfortunately that was not the case. Upon arrival we were assigned one of his guide, which by the way, was average not outstanding. Zoom comes highly recommended in many forum & very probably he is a great guide, but we were extremely disappointed with his decision for not keeping the given promise. He decided to tour with another group which we met during the lunch break. At least as you are informed ahead of time that he is not going to be your guide, IMO either choice will be good. We were able to cover all the sights. We loved HCMC & the Rex Hotel was a great choice for our overnight stay. Whatever you decide have a great time in HCMC. Doris

We had a really poor experience too, so bad it was derisory. I would certainly not book with him. we were assigned a female tour guide who whisked us throughout the city and pointed out very little. I was disgusted. we also got a poor lunch which he eventually partially refunded! the tour we got no refund for. disgraceful!

At the recommendation of many fellow cruisers, I contacted Zoom for private tours for my husband and myself when we will visit Ho Chi Minh City with the Crystal Symphony. Zoom said that he did not know yet his availability, but that he could confirm private tours for one of his other guides. I take that to mean that either he isn't available, or he's had multiple requests and has chosen not to commit to anyone in particular at this time. In either event, I read it that Zoom isn't going to be available to us. Zoom has offered to arrange one of his other guides to take us sightseeing. We have another option - one that has thus far in our travels proven to be a good choice. Specifically, our travel agent can arrange for private tours for us, and the travel agent generally uses Abercrombie & Kent. Whether we plan tours with one of Zoom's associate guides or go with our travel agent's choice of A&K, we will not know anything about our guide until we meet him/her in HCMC for the tour. Has anyone here ever taken a private tour arranged by Zoom, but with a guide that is Zoom's recommended associate? How about a tour with A&K? What would you do?

We also had booked a tour and were suppose to have Zoom. We did not have him. We were not pleased with our guide at all. We did not get to 2 spots that we were suppose to visit and our guide lied to Zoom telling him that he had asked us if we wanted to go and we had said no, which was a lie. Also Zooms' printed itinerary stated that we would have photo stops at the opera house, Westmoreland and Cabot Lodge and we didn't, they were just pointed out to us as we drove by and if you wanted a picture you had to snap away from inside the van. Then we were dropped off at this huge market that was not on the itinerary and left there for an hour, then we were picked up and dropped off at our hotel at 2....not a good experience and I would not recommend Zoom to anyone....

Edited by queen of cruising
needed to add some space between question and answer

• 11 months later...
Try Vietnam Private Tours. You can see the reviews further down on the Asia forum. Stephen was our contact but we had different guides all were good and reasonably priced. Jennifer

Wd had a terrible experience with him. He sent a girl who knew very little and was disinterested. He refused to refund part of the money.

We just disembarked Volendam HAL this morning. Our 28-night cruise was unreal. We would recommend this long cruise to anyone.

I just want to write a quick post saying we used Zoom for our Saigon tour. He was awesome. He was our guide and I asked him if he had employees. He stated he did not as people wanted him... He were 16 in our group and we came back to the ship at 8pm! Everyone was extremely happy with his service and the tour. I guess make sure he is your guide... You can see the passion he has for his country and for photography. Good luck!