What percentage of DEET should I be looking for?

carmel

Sorry to start another mosquito thread but I have a quick question.

What percentage of DEET should I be looking for. I bought some OFF but I think it is only 15%.

Also, anyone really happy with the brand they bought?

THANKS!

Go to a camping/hunting supply type store and you'll find more choices with higher levels. Use sparingly but look for the highest offered. Canada sells super powerful stuff as they don't have the regulations we do in the states. Don't just buy regular "off". Not strong enough.

Persoanlly I never liked putting chemicals on my daughter, especially this age. If it were me, I'd pick up some child safe stuff. Certainly not as potent and probably not as sure proof. But might help better than nothing. Also I would dress the child in long clothes as opposed to onesies or sun wear. Better for skin protection any time in the Carib sun.

https://www.google.com/search?q=child+safe+mosquito+spray&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=

See the above google and you can read pediatric rec's.

Edited by eandj

Sorry to start another mosquito thread but I have a quick question.

What percentage of DEET should I be looking for. I bought some OFF but I think it is only 15%.

Also, anyone really happy with the brand they bought?

THANKS!

I got Coleman's spray bottle that was 98% in our local WalMart camping section. Used it twice in Costa Rica with no problems except it seems to dissolve nail polish! Another idea is to take 100 mg of Vitamin B-1 for a few days prior to whereever you need protection. The vitamin is partially excreted thru the skin and has the vitamin smell. I used this when my children where small.

Thanks for the advise.

i am an absolute mosquito haven and will attrack them no matter what - i live in SC and can't be outside at dusk, i can't weed my front flower beds and i just had my front porch screened in because they love me so much!

but i must say i was in St Maarten and toured the entire island in Dec and had no problem at all. could have been time of year but i will tell you if there was a single mosquito it would have found me!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what I've been told.

For teen and adults -- 25% (That's what Deep Wood Off has).

Normally you want a very low percentage for children (6% or under), but in areas with Mosquito Borne Illnesses, my pediatrician recommended for our vacation week, using a product with 12.5% Deet for my seven year old.

I use 30% Deet which is effective for 4 to 5 hours and then needs to be reapplied. From what I've read on Deet's website a higher percentage lasts for a longer period of time i.e. 100% - 8-10 hours (ADULTS ONLY). Less than 30%, less time. Other than that the effectiveness is the same. I'm not so keen about using 100% of the chemical on me, so I reapply it when necessary (up to 2 -3 times a day for adults). Also, the CDC's website contradicts the time frame on 100% Deet. They note that studies suggest that above 50% does not improve time effectiveness. That being said, DEET SHOULD NOT BE APPLIED MORE THAN ONCE A DAY ON CHILDREN.

Edited by Sanz

I use 30% Deet which is effective for 4 to 5 hours and then needs to be reapplied. From what I've read on Deet's website a higher percentage lasts for a longer period of time i.e. 100% - 8-10 hours (ADULTS ONLY). Less than 30%, less time. Other than that the effectiveness is the same. I'm not so keen about using 100% of the chemical on me, so I reapply it when necessary (up to 2 -3 times a day for adults). Also, the CDC's website contradicts the time frame on 100% Deet. They note that studies suggest that above 50% does not improve time effectiveness. That being said, DEET SHOULD NOT BE APPLIED MORE THAN ONCE A DAY ON CHILDREN.

You're correct...higher concentrations do not work better but they do last longer. 30% DEET should last ~6 hours. 10% DEET lasts 2-3 hours. Obviously the high concentrations will last even longer. A MAX of 30% DEET is labeled for use in kids 2 months and older. Remember Sunscreen goes on first, then DEET. Avoid combo products because sunscreen requires more application :)

You're correct...higher concentrations do not work better but they do last longer. 30% DEET should last ~6 hours. 10% DEET lasts 2-3 hours. Obviously the high concentrations will last even longer. A MAX of 30% DEET is labeled for use in kids 2 months and older. Remember Sunscreen goes on first, then DEET. Avoid combo products because sunscreen requires more application :)

That time factor may be good enough for most tours or time ashore in the areas that are of concern. The other factor, of course, is any time spent in the water or excess perspiration.

I've been all over the carribean for nearly 20 years now. I dont ever recall being bit by a mosquito, never. Yet it never amazes me how many threads apply to mosquito's. Maybe, Im blessed growing up in a mosquito haven like Minnesota. Where you cant even spend 5 mimutes outside on a nice summer evening without being attacked by hundreds of these menaces. That I never noticed one or two while on vacation.

I have sensitive skin. Is there a possible allergic reaction to DEET?

Some people are allergic to ingredients. It might be a good idea for you to do a patch test on a small area of your skin first to test it out. If there's any reaction immediately wash the area with soap and water and evaluate if you need to take further medical steps :)