Montreal Hotels

We will be in Montreal early June. We intend to stay for 3 nights. Suggestions on where to stay. Would like to be close to transportation for sight seeing etc. Also recommendations to get to the airport for a midday flight. Many thanks.

Anne

I like the Holiday Inn Select Centre-Ville at 99 Viger Ave. West. It's across the street from the Palais des Congres-Convention Centre and a Metro (subway) station, and is a short walk from Vieux Montreal. There's an indoor pool and a good Chinese restaurant with a carp pond flowing through the dining room. My wife and I spent 3 nights there last September, and enjoyed it very much. The website is: http://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/us/en/montreal/yulca/hoteldetail They were talking about a major renovation coming soon, but we thought it was fine as it was, and a very good price. If you're looking for something really quaint and wonderful in Vieux Montreal (though more expensive), look at the Hotel Pierre Du Calvet (http://www.pierreducalvet.ca/english/index.html) Can't help you with the airport; we came up by train (slow, but very scenic) from NYC.

Edited by Langoustine

Airport from downtown - cab or bus are your realistic options. The latter has an English info page here - it's basically a dedicated airport service, fairly quick, room for luggage, and usually cheaper than a cab at $10 per person. If you are 4+ a cab might be less though.

Hotel-wise - what's your budget? We've stayed in some super-fancy hotels (preferably with work footing the bill!), cheap just-a-room-with-a-comfy-bed places when we've been traveling on a budget, and various levels in-between. Our faves would be:

Sky's the limit - Fairmont Queen Lizzie on the Gold Floor (Honour bar, free nibbles all day including a decent breakfast in the morning)

Cash is tight - Springhill Suites in Old Montreal (free parking & brekky)

In-between - Marriott Residence Westmount (NOT Peel!) (all suites, so you can make your own brekky/packed lunch conveniently, good sized rooms, buffet brekky was good value if you don't feel like cooking)

They're all within a few blocks of a metro station, all have something touristy nearby, and we've stayed in each at least twice, years apart, and they've been consistent.

With three days you can knock off a lot of the sights - but if there was one thing you *have* to do in Montreal IMO, it's eat right. Brunch in Schwartz' deli and dinner in Au Pied de Cochon are my must-dos on every single trip! Don't snack in between or you might die at the latter, Mr Creosote style...

thank you martincath!

Our budget is mid-range. The cheaper the better BUT must be the 3C's - clean, convenient and comfortable. Happy to pay more to get these things but definitely not looking for 5 star - not necessary. And convenience to public transport and/or tourist sites is definitely important.

So will check out both Springhill Suites and Marriott Residence Westmount. Not Peel :)

"Brunch in Schwartz' deli and dinner in Au Pied de Cochon are my must-dos on every single trip! Don't snack in between or you might die at the latter, Mr Creosote style..."

Thanks - noted!!:D And we will do both with no snacking in-between! :D Yum.

p_mori7 - Ha Ha - so much for the OP offering to help people with their questions. However......you did a great job!!! I've still a lot to read through but already VERY HELPFUL!