What to expect from a TA for medical emergency on cruise

Bronwen

My FIL became ill on a cruise a few days ago and was taken off the ship to hospital. The ship was in port for two days. It's a large group and I'm pretty sure there was someone from the agency with them.

The lack of phone call from the agency is understanding since they are on a different coast than we are. (I called them first) But no one assisted my MIL in finding a hotel while she waits for my FIL to recover. No word really from the agent on the ship, just poof you're off and go about your way. Frankly the woman I talked to in the office seemed surprised to hear from me.

They've sailed many, many times with this company. So I'm a bit surprised. Is this normal behavior for a TA?

I not sure why it would be the TAs responsibility to assist our get involved unless you're having issues with insurance they sold you. If they purchased travel insurance that is who should be assisting your MIL with accommodations. I know I've read the cruise line sometimes does that as well.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thanks Sherilyn. I just don't know what to expect. It's the being with a group all from the same agent that has me a bit baffled. Their agency rep is there, able to handle a situation that one of their customers is having. I would think they would want to make it easier for the customer at the very least get them set up in a hotel with a good rate. Just seems a human kindness.

The insurance company made no offer of help either. We've had great dealings with the ships doctor, he's been a pure blessing.

Thank you again, just trying to get some feedback.

Not quite sure what you mean by the "agent on the ship". Do you mean the an employee from the cruise line or the Travel Agent? Why would the TA be on the ship with them? Was it a group cruise organized by a Travel Agency? There are many Travel Agencies that organize group trips, either cruise or land, in my area but there isn't always someone from the agency on the trip.

It is an unfortunate thing for your family to have to deal with. I have heard of some cruise lines assisting people in these situations more than other lines. Perhaps the woman you talked to was surprised to hear from you because they had absolutely no idea that anything had happened to your FIL.

As another poster said, if they had purchased travel insurance your MIL should be dealing with them for assistance. However, I'm not sure that they would be paying for a hotel upfront. I believe you have to pay for what you need and then get reimbursed. I hope all works out well for your family.

Yes, it was a group cruise. The TA knew my FIL had been taken off the ship. This TA always has someone from his office along on the cruises. We understand that we will be reimbursed rather than the hotel being paid for. It's just she was left on her to find a hotel, was given a reference from the hospital and it's 300 a night! When I went to look on the internet their price was 175, quite a difference! It's just all very frustrating with them being so far away. A simple phone call from someone she's done business with for many years would have saved her from a great deal of stress.

It seems to me you use a TA to handle things for you, this would be one of those things. You need a phone call to find a room, your professional steps in to help.

Thanks for your insight and help. Take care.

Thanks Sherilyn. I just don't know what to expect. It's the being with a group all from the same agent that has me a bit baffled. Their agency rep is there, able to handle a situation that one of their customers is having. I would think they would want to make it easier for the customer at the very least get them set up in a hotel with a good rate. Just seems a human kindness.

The insurance company made no offer of help either. We've had great dealings with the ships doctor, he's been a pure blessing.

Thank you again, just trying to get some feedback.

I'm very sorry to hear of this circumstance and am sure you are stressed about it.

Are you sure your M-I-L actually asked anyone to help her? Perhaps the TA's representative did not have any direct contact with her and was now aware she needed or wanted any assistance.

Hope things go well for your relatives and F-I-L recovers well and soon.

All best wishes.

Yes, it was a group cruise. The TA knew my FIL had been taken off the ship. This TA always has someone from his office along on the cruises. We understand that we will be reimbursed rather than the hotel being paid for. It's just she was left on her to find a hotel, was given a reference from the hospital and it's 300 a night! When I went to look on the internet their price was 175, quite a difference! It's just all very frustrating with them being so far away. A simple phone call from someone she's done business with for many years would have saved her from a great deal of stress.

It seems to me you use a TA to handle things for you, this would be one of those things. You need a phone call to find a room, your professional steps in to help.

Thanks for your insight and help. Take care.

In that case I agree, the TA (or someone from the agency) should have at least assisted your MIL with finding accommodations. Even if not obligated to do so, it would go a long way in keeping your MIL/FIL future business. I personally don't use a TA but if I did I would expect a little help in time of need. Hope all works out well.

My FIL became ill on a cruise a few days ago and was taken off the ship to hospital. The ship was in port for two days. It's a large group and I'm pretty sure there was someone from the agency with them.

The lack of phone call from the agency is understanding since they are on a different coast than we are. (I called them first) But no one assisted my MIL in finding a hotel while she waits for my FIL to recover. No word really from the agent on the ship, just poof you're off and go about your way. Frankly the woman I talked to in the office seemed surprised to hear from me.

They've sailed many, many times with this company. So I'm a bit surprised. Is this normal behavior for a TA?

I would expect the insurance take care of this, not a travel agent. When you buy insurance, they give you 800 number, or a number to call collect.

Sorry to hear about your FIL.

Their TA at home has nothing to do with helping your MIL.

You mentioned about this being a group cruise and that someone from the agency was with the group?? Right?? If so, that person along with a representative from the ship should have stepped in and helped your MIL. Especially the ship's agent as they are suppose to know the area.

I know many times when we have seen passengers leave the ship to go to a hospital, one of the ship's agents is at the gangway filling out paper work along with the nurse/doctor.

I agree that it isn't the TA that has responsibility in this area.

We recently had a person in our group fall ill and he and his wife had to be left behind in Cozumel. Carnival and their shoreside agent assisted them while he was hospitalized with hotels and meal vouchers for her, and then airline reservations to get them back to Houston and transfers back to Galveston to get their car.

They felt very well cared for. I'm sorry that the OP didn't have such a good experience.